The Proposed New Tunnel

loveitto

Hands up for a vote of confidence in the proposed Kathu-Patong tunnel road...not many hands i would say. I for one am not confident of the safety and constuction standards used in LOS in any road works ,let alone a tunnel,Scares me to even think about it.

Look at the mess the authorities create in the simplist of civil works and construction in not only in Phuket but all over Thailand.

A simple basic sealing of the road behind Juncelon is an example...less than two months of use has seen it reduced once again to a goat track.

The other problem i see is that ,no matter which option they accept,once you arrive on patong side, the traffic still has nowhere to go. Even now on the cusp of high season, the traffic flow to/from Patong at the junctions of Pra Barami Rd and Phisit Korani rd[ from Nanai Rd] to go over to Kathu is gridlocked most of the time already. Add to this the huge number off new accomodations opening at breakneck speed, and the associated extra vehicular traffic, a whole new access is definately needed, beit a tunnel or whatever.

Unfortunately with the layout[thats a misnomer if ever] of Patong roads and infastructure there is no way of getting all this extra traffic easily into the existing shambles.

Even if they use flyovers, that only moves the problem to another part of town,and still no way of getting the traffic to flow.

One more huge problem also associated is parking...Try and find a bike park, let alone a car space, even now.

The growth of Patong has to be curtailed,simply because they will not be able to access and service it!

I would support that, how did they make all those long undergound tunnls? nobody even noticed it.

With the colossal cost involved,even on the pre works study, I think the road "over the top" is a far more viable proposition, this will be a tourist draw from the scenic point of view and save time on the Chalong /Kathu /Patong journey.

The tunnel money could be better spent on road safety measures and driver education.

I would support that, how did they make all those long undergound tunnls? nobody even noticed it.

With the colossal cost involved,even on the pre works study, I think the road "over the top" is a far more viable proposition, this will be a tourist draw from the scenic point of view and save time on the Chalong /Kathu /Patong journey.

The tunnel money could be better spent on road safety measures and driver education.

Sure cheaper to go over. However the road over the hill wont handle nearly as much traffic as tunnel will. Reason being it's too steep going over straight. You need to zig zag the road like the present one and those bends will slow the traffic to a snarl regardless how wide the road is.

Maybe wide over the top roads in both end of the beach with connecting wide main road at the back would do for few years. At least it would improve the present a lot.

Bangkok subway was done by TBM's (tunnel boring machine) and it took several years to complete. I sure noticed those station work sites in the middle of the Rama IV - Silom intersection as they had to do the station right under the road as the neighbouring property owners did not allow them to use their properties for the work.

The Thai's do not have the engineering capability to bore through the mountain. Any such venture would be done by an internetional company so your fears about the Thai's is flawed. It will all boil down to cost. Maybe if people were prepared to pay a toll to go through the tunnel rather than over the mountain it may get done. I have done it a few times and it is not a nice ride.

Sure cheaper to go over. However the road over the hill wont handle nearly as much traffic as tunnel will. Reason being it's too steep going over straight. You need to zig zag the road like the present one and those bends will slow the traffic to a snarl regardless how wide the road is.

Maybe wide over the top roads in both end of the beach with connecting wide main road at the back would do for few years. At least it would improve the present a lot.

Good idea but there is no room anywhere for''the connecting wide main road at the back""

The Thai's do not have the engineering capability to bore through the mountain. Any such venture would be done by an internetional company so your fears about the Thai's is flawed. It will all boil down to cost. Maybe if people were prepared to pay a toll to go through the tunnel rather than over the mountain it may get done. I have done it a few times and it is not a nice ride.

If you have read about it ..The plan is to BLAST the tunnel, thankyou ..so my fears is not flawed at all on the info i have at hand...So to reiterate SCARY. Thank you

The problem is phuket (and its governance) always favours mega projects for the obvious reason that mega projects have mega budgets, which are more interesting to 'bid' on by major contractors !!

Phukets road network is getting overloaded, but a tunnel, even one over a major accident blackspot is not the solution, and secondly the more major heavy construction and trunk road arteries are built, the more the island loses the charm it has as an island paradise. The solution to me is not arteries but capillaries.

Already theres a very viable Chalong / Patong route.. This would remove a large part of the Patong hill traffic, and provide a much easier shortcut between 2 points on a large circle.

Theres also pre existing open trails that cut through from Kathu waterfall to Kamala and Kalim, if these were turned into small laned roads, keeping the village type feel of the southern island road network, you not only increase options, traffic flow etc, but you open up what is current jungle land for further development, yes I know that gives some people a shudder, but this island is going to keep growing, so the choice is do we want it to grow spread out, and keep an island / village feel, or do we want it to urbanize and be main roads 6 lane highways, and that kind of feel ??

Patong hill is a dangerous bit of road, I am right near it and ride it daily often late at night, its one to be wary off. But its problems are less the road itself and more the drivers and vehicles on the road. I am constantly confronted with vehicles so overloaded and under powered they cannot make it over, drivers who simply cannot perform a hill start, drivers that have no concept of lane use etc etc. these issues are not the result of the road itself (tho it does make those issues visible) the accidents occur when vehicles breaks fail, when overloading causes blockages etc etc. Fine and punish poor road use not change the road to accommodate the drivers and vehicles.

just dig that hole !

is a great idea and would be a huge improvement to patong.

and about getting around and all; once they finally finish the road behind yunkceylon (or however you spell that) which connects from 1 side to the other side of pathong it will all of a sudden change from an overcrowded village into a nice little city

good for them, let them have it!

and about these kind of comments;

Fine and punish poor road use not change the road to accommodate the drivers and vehicles.

don't you get it? in Thailand there are no rules, well, there are rules, but nobody follows them :)

yes, that means chaos and crime, corruption and all, but it also means you're free here ... I'm not giving up my freedom for any of your silly rules!

it's the best part of living here; we are all free, really, truly free, it's absolutely amazing!

just dig that hole !

is a great idea and would be a huge improvement to patong.

GEEKY

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>><<<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>>><<<<<<>>>>>><

Please explain your theory on how it would be a huge improvement to patong...Did you actually read the OP?

How about some serious discussion on this topic..it will effect all of us who call this HOME,as i do!

it's the best part of living here; we are all free, really, truly free, it's absolutely amazing!

Free to be killed by other road users !!

Always remember one persons freedom must end when it effects another persons rights also.. One mans freedom of expression is another man noise pollution. There is always a balance as total freedom is anarchy.

I'll be commin there in may 2010 and i'll bring my shovel....it will be great the current road while it has a great view entering patong is so dangerous and in the heavy rain on a bike cars dont look out for you....also traffic jams etc....with tourism increases you think Bangkok would appreciate the benefits