Best Scenic Roads In Thailand

stevehaigh

i don't know if this has been covered before but i think it would be interesting to collect a list of some of the best scenic drives in Thailand (maybe it could be stickied)

here's a few from me to get started

route 401 between Phanom and Khao Sok park (west of Surat Thani). great limestone cliffs and mountain views

route 107 between Mea Taeng and Chiang Dao. lovely mountain and farm views

route 12 between Lom Sak (Phetchboon) and Phitsanoluk. more mountain views.

and i can't forget the beach road on the west coast of Ko Phangan between tongsala and my house

what's yours?

I really enjoyed riding through Krabi earlier this week on the way back from Malaysia. I guess it's the 4.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0446-1.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

I'm thinking about driving down Highway 4 from bangkok to Khuraburi, parking for a few days, and taking a high boat to the Surin Islands for two nights and 3 days of snorkelling. Can you tell me the road conditions on the stretch from North of Phuket to near Bangkok? We're you worried about hijacking/robbery at all(heard some rumors)?

Thanks.

:)

I really enjoyed riding through Krabi earlier this week on the way back from Malaysia. I guess it's the 4.

I'm thinking about driving down Highway 4 from bangkok to Khuraburi, parking for a few days, and taking a high boat to the Surin Islands for two nights and 3 days of snorkelling. Can you tell me the road conditions on the stretch from North of Phuket to near Bangkok? We're you worried about hijacking/robbery at all(heard some rumors)?

Thanks.

:D

Roads are great. The 4 is nice and twisty between Surrithani and Phuket, or for a straighter quicker shot go due north straight to Phuket from Surithani. Not sure of the of the road number, but you can see it on a map. My GPS always takes me on 4, but the other way is quicker.

No worry about hijackers. :)

Edited by Scubabuddha

National Park jumping

From Phu Rua and towards Uttaradit (Na Haew - Baan Khok road 1268), Sri Nan national park for the night, then on into Nan and the next night in Doi Phu Ka national park (via Muang Nan). Road 1243, 1225, 1257 and last 1256 to Doi Phu Ka have very nice views but you won't make that in one day, it's a bit curvy :)

3 pics in my gallery of Nan if you want to have a look

Edited by MikeyIdea

i don't know if this has been covered before but i think it would be interesting to collect a list of some of the best scenic drives in Thailand (maybe it could be stickied)

here's a few from me to get started

route 401 between Phanom and Khao Sok park (west of Surat Thani). great limestone cliffs and mountain views

route 107 between Mea Taeng and Chiang Dao. lovely mountain and farm views

route 12 between Lom Sak (Phetchboon) and Phitsanoluk. more mountain views.

and i can't forget the beach road on the west coast of Ko Phangan between tongsala and my house

what's yours?

seconded!

National Highway No.4

Wang Mai via Ranong all the way to Takua Pa

Wang Tako - Ratchakrud

Add the ridge top route of HWY 1340 from Arunothai to Doi Angkhan to this list. Tops in my book, but there are a few routes I've learned from the GT Rider website that I have yet to check out. Taking the back roads is much better than HWY 107.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0446-1.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Thanks.

:D

Hi the mrs and I have both ridden from huahin to phuket by bike and car, 20-25 years ago Tha Sae to Kapoe was always a little bit hairy, but now with the improved roads , beautiful scenery, plenty of great places to stop, we drove it 4 weeks ago , we have sold our motorbikes, once you sort of hit 65 years of age riding a britbike starts to be come work instead of fun, the only problem we had on the drive down , was the shock of seeing phuket concreted over :)