What Is The Downside Of Marrying A Thai Lady?

pjclark1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Update

I followed your advice and didn't marry her .... but not for any of the reasons you thought of.

I realized all my stuff was in her house .... and she could ask me to leave at any moment

During a temper tantrum she actually shouted "get out of my house now"

So the upshot of it all was ...... never live in someone else's house without an enforceable lease/rental contract.

I now live with another lady in a house rented entirely in my name (not that I have much confidence of ever getting her out should the impulse take me)

Update

I followed your advice and didn't marry her .... but not for any of the reasons you thought of.

I realized all my stuff was in her house .... and she could ask me to leave at any moment

During a temper tantrum she actually shouted "get out of my house now"

So the upshot of it all was ...... never live in someone else's house without an enforceable lease/rental contract.

I now live with another lady in a house rented entirely in my name (not that I have much confidence of ever getting her out should the impulse take me)

Ummm, you moved in with another so quickly after finding out the truth of the situation.....?!

Ummm, you moved in with another so quickly after finding out the truth of the situation.....?!

Finding a replacement lover in Thailand is about as hard as topping up a mobile phone.

Three days later it's almost impossible to get her out the front door.

Edited by pjclark1

Marriage is an institution. Who in their right mind wants to live in an institution? :)

Quite right ' neverdie ' !!!

The government has announced new strict measures to tighten up on bogus marriages being used as a way for people to gain entry into Thailand.

It has been suggested that this be extended to all marriages of people living throughout Thailand.

Therefore it has been considered that any man nowadays talked into or thinking of sacrificing his freedom for a lifetime of financial purgatory, must be deemed either a

saint, a lunatic that should be in an institution or an illegal immigrant.:rolleyes:

Edited by Kwasaki

The downside getting married; is getting married :D . My advice is to just have fun as long as you can and get married as late as possible. Don't forget the baggage that comes with the Thai girlfriend after she becomes a wife :D
Baggage? Whatever might you mean...?? :):D

I think he means the MiL...

What?! The MIL is one of the best of the extra perks that come with marrying a Thai woman! Or lady, even.

You sound like an accident waiting to happen!!! Way too quick. One day you are going to come across with a real nasty temper. You need to check them out much longer than that before moving in together.

Edited by GarryP

The downside getting married; is getting married :D . My advice is to just have fun as long as you can and get married as late as possible. Don't forget the baggage that comes with the Thai girlfriend after she becomes a wife :D

What?! The MIL is one of the best of the extra perks that come with marrying a Thai woman! Or lady, even.

Precisely! How long have you lived here by the way

Watch out for this thread being closed....

Edited by F1fanatic

Marriage is an institution. Who in their right mind wants to live in an institution? :)

It's not only that mate.

I've seen happy-go-lucky, free-living guys turn into slaves inside the golden cage after marrying Thai women.

Especially when it's out in the villages, indeed it can turn into a virtual prison sentence from what one expat was telling me.

He had sunk money, car and the rest into the house. The entire Thai family moved in and he pretty much had to drive off into the night and leave it all behind.

I'm not saying all marriages are that way but the whole 'we are all together' get's a bit too 'communalistic' shall we say for my liking :)

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. :bah:

You millionaire farang, family pay no money to keep mum, kup kun ma krup. :)

Edited by transam

In Thailand you don't marry a girl, you marry a family.

:angry:

THIS is the best advise you will ever get......i agree 100%..... i am getting married in april..2011....

and already i am the money man...... but there in for a shock when we go back to australia..

man, is this gonna be a long thread :rolleyes:

Forgive me if this has been brought up already as i have only just started to read, but just to add something the OP might want to know.

I have heard that if you marry a Thai who owes money you are also leagally liable for that sum..EVEN if you didnt know previously and she didnt tell you.

I have no idea if this is 100% correct though, maybe someone in the know can set it straight..

Forgive me if this has been brought up already as i have only just started to read, but just to add something the OP might want to know.

I have heard that if you marry a Thai who owes money you are also leagally liable for that sum..EVEN if you didnt know previously and she didnt tell you.

I have no idea if this is 100% correct though, maybe someone in the know can set it straight..

Ask Sid. :lol:

If you are not ready, however, don't do it. My suggestion is to play into your mid-forties and then marry someone at least twenty years younger.

I'm mid 50s and she is mid 30s.

As she is not the youngest daughter, no responsibilities to the family.

Be careful. At age 35, the reproductive urge can take over. You asked about legal and financial impacts of marriage. Maybe you wand to think about the legal and financial impacts of kids.

You guys need to read the page where I dumped her!

But immediately moved in with another....

Don't worry, I'm sure this one is 'different'.

I don't really make judgments about women any more ....... I'm totally hopeless at it.

A woman in the UK fooled me for over 30 years. So I would be daft to think I was any good at judging other peoples intentions towards me.

Now I just want to have fun and a family, pretend or real, doesn't matter, all the same to me.

I appear to have that at the moment, and have the money to pay for that appearance.

I will happily stick with my current lady, but if it all falls apart, never mind, the next one will be younger and prettier..

Are we also legally entitled to the gold ?

@Jurgan

Issan youngest daughter traditionally supports the parents ( but some regions oldest daughter)

@Ozzie

Debts and money accumulated during the marriage by either party are joint ....... but before not your problem

Edited by pjclark1

Are we also legally entitled to the gold ?

Definitely not. Gold she had before the marriage is considered sin suan tua. In the event of a divorce, all sin suan tua assets of either party are the property of the party who owned them before the marriage. All marital property, or sim somros, is divided equally between the husband and wife.

BTW, this also means that anything you owned before the marriage stays with you. Truly a better system than in the West.

As for debts, my understanding is that all property which is considered sin somros may be attached to pay the debts of either party during the marriage, independent of when the debt was acquired. However, sin suan tua property may only be attached if you have the signature of the owner of said property on the loan document.

I would also appreciate a true legal opinion on this though, because this is 4th hand information and there is alot of confusion about it. I have never heard a real response from someone trained in family law.

Edited by gregb