"breaking News" Screwing Up My Browser

JetsetBkk

Screen 1440x900

Firefox 3.5.5

The @@#$% thing jumps up and down between items. New item starts on RH side of screen(under the search facility), gets to about 9 or10 characters and moves back to LH side of screen under the new(ish) buttons (Home, news, SMS, newsletter, forums....) that are larger than the grey bar they are on. The jump up and down is about the the difference between the buttons and the background bar.

Can someone tell me when this goes away, I am getting seasick looking at it.

It seems that everybody who had this problem with Firefox – and some other browsers – was able to solve it by reloading the page, ie pressing Ctrl+F5 (while holding down the Ctrl key, press F5). Apparently, some had to press this key combination several times. Try and see if this does the trick on your computer.

--

Maestro

Off-topic posts have been deleted. Let’s limit this topic to discussing the problem mentioned in the OP. There are lots of existing topics talking about the graphic user interface and page layout in general.

At the moment, there is one member who still has the screen jumping because of the Breaking News line in Firefox (waiting to hear if my suggestion helps him) and one member who has this problem in Camino (no suggestions for a solution posted yet)

--

Maestro

Screen 1440x900

Firefox 3.5.5

The @@#$% thing jumps up and down between items. New item starts on RH side of screen(under the search facility), gets to about 9 or10 characters and moves back to LH side of screen under the new(ish) buttons (Home, news, SMS, newsletter, forums....) that are larger than the grey bar they are on. The jump up and down is about the the difference between the buttons and the background bar.

Can someone tell me when this goes away, I am getting seasick looking at it.

It seems that everybody who had this problem with Firefox – and some other browsers – was able to solve it by reloading the page, ie pressing Ctrl+F5 (while holding down the Ctrl key, press F5). Apparently, some had to press this key combination several times. Try and see if this does the trick on your computer.

--

Maestro

Was 4 times supposed to be enough to eliminate the bug? In which case I am looking for more suggestions. Still jumping around. :)

It is very irritating. I enlarged my browser and it stopped.

It still does its thing from time to time. It has to rate as one of the most irritating things I have ever run across on the web. How about a box that doesn't change shape that the news lights up in? We should not have to fix it, the problem it is on the webmaster's side. I'm not a webmaster otherwise I would have a good web site that worked properly and didn't have this many people complaining about it. Thanks for listening.

No probs on my computer with this one.

If it really is a breaking news facility is it possible to update it and delete what has become old news please.

No offence intended towards anyone,.

Maybe change the heading to recent news instead of B.N. if it is difficult to update

Offered only in the interests of enhancing the facility.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Was 4 times supposed to be enough to eliminate the bug? In which case I am looking for more suggestions. Still jumping around. :)

Four times is plenty. I am no expert at this but it puzzles me that what worked for everybody else with Firefox does not work on your computer. I wish somebody who knows more about it would come along and offer a solution. One time, I read something about clearing the cache. Might this help? How is it done in Firefox?

--

Maestro

...We should not have to fix it, the problem it is on the webmaster's side...

I agree with you: the computer user should not have to fix it. From the little I know about Internet use I think it has to do with the user friendliness built into browsers, with cookies, cache, and all that jazz. It is these things that have shifted the onus onto the user for many things. By default, the cache is usually enabled and the creators of the browsers expect us to know when it becomes necessary to clear the cache and how to do it.

Would it even be possible to write code into a webpage that reloads the page afresh every time? It would slow down page loads substantially, though, I believe.

--

Maestro

I've now looked at how to clear the cache and it took me a while to figure it out.

Tools>Options...>Privacy

Under “private Data”, select the box for “Ask me before clearing private data”

Click on “Clear Now...”

Dialog window with multiple choice of 7 items pops up:

post-21260-1258457726_thumb.png

At this point, I get stumped. Should you select only Cache? Where are the experts when we need them? For good measure I would select also Cookies, deselect everything except Cache and Cookies, then click on “Clear Private Data Now”. Refresh the page again with Ctrl+F5.

If this does not help, I can't think of anything else.

--

Maestro

Found a solution!

Reduce the size of the window displaying TV. The problem happens when the window is full screen and down to a certain screen width, then when the window is less than that width the page is stable on the screen. :)

Bit of a pain to have a special set up for TV but i don't get sea sick trying to read the page.

I have cleared the cache and hit ctrl F5 several times. The problem persists.

If I maximize the window it goes away. I don't want to maximize the window.

If I disable "minimum font size = 13" it goes away. I don't want to disable "minimum font size = 13".

How about you guys get rid of this buggy feature?

I have cleared the cache and hit ctrl F5 several times. The problem persists. If I maximize the window it goes away. I don't want to maximize the window. If I disable "minimum font size = 13" it goes away. I don't want to disable "minimum font size = 13".How about you guys get rid of this buggy feature?

It's just an annoying gimmick so I second giving it the axe. It is a pain to have to turn java script on and off depending on what I am doing.

<snip> Where are the experts when we need them? <snip>

Er... I guess the term "Admin" doesn't relate to "Computer Adminstrators"? :)

The script that is generating the "Breaking News:" is www.thaivisa.com/js/rss.js

It's working fine for me, but those with a problem may wish to turn this one off.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Wimpy's reply gave me the clue to fix it.

I have the text zoomed in so I can read what is on the screen without having to get too close to it. I unclicked "zoom text only" in the View/Zoom option and it fixed its self.

Only problem now is that the images are all too large and things like avatars and smilies take up too much room, but I can read TV without that seas sick feeling.

I’m sure some admins sweat over web authoring, server maintenance, network administration, etc. Myself, I’m just gadding about the various forums, trying to help keep ThaiVisa the congenial place it is.

…The script that is generating the "Breaking News:" is www.thaivisa.com/js/rss.js

It's working fine for me, but those with a problem may wish to turn this one off.

I have only a general idea what Java scripts are and what they do. Are you saying that a user can turn off an individual Java script? I looked at the settings in Firefox and came across these dialog boxes:

post-21260-1258657339_thumb.png

I am not asking for myself as I have no problem with the news ticker and like to use it, but I am still hoping against hope for a simple solution for those members who still have a problem, and other members whose screen is not jumping but who have no use for the ticker and find it annoying would benefit from it, too. I only see the option to enable/disable Java scripts as a whole, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

--

Maestro

I’m sure some admins sweat over web authoring, server maintenance, network administration, etc. Myself, I’m just gadding about the various forums, trying to help keep ThaiVisa the congenial place it is.

:D

…The script that is generating the "Breaking News:" is www.thaivisa.com/js/rss.js

I have only a general idea what Java scripts are and what they do. Are you saying that a user can turn off an individual Java script? I looked at the settings in Firefox and came across these dialog boxes:

post-21260-1258657339_thumb.png

I am not asking for myself as I have no problem with the news ticker and like to use it, but I am still hoping against hope for a simple solution for those members who still have a problem, and other members whose screen is not jumping but who have no use for the ticker and find it annoying would benefit from it, too. I only see the option to enable/disable Java scripts as a whole, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

--

Maestro

Yes, I don't believe you can turn off individual scripts in Firefox using Firefox's Java script controls, but there are some add-ons that allow you to block individual scripts. But I don't think we're allowed to talk about them here. :D

One really nice feature of the "Breaking News" ticker would be if you click on the "Breaking News" logo and got the whole set of items presented as a list and when you clicked on any of them, you go to the item.

At the moment, you see one of the Breaking News items flash up, you read it, you decide to read more but by the time you've got your mouse up there, it's gone! And you have to wait an age for it to come around again.

How about it, you clever people? :D

I know you can do it! :)