Laptop

chorizo

I have the usual home PC, daughter just was given a laptop. I have TOT for server (sucks) , speed touch modem. How do i connect it to PC...usb to usb?

can i go direct from Modem to laptop? Via the one cable only?

or is there an external modem i can buy to plug into LT and then to any phone outlet in house?

Sorry for my ignorance about computers.......thanks for any help...Chorizo

I would suggest that the easiest option would be to buy a wireless router (could be one without a modem as you already have the modem from TOT.)

You then connect the TOT modem to the Wireless router (same cable as currently goes from modem to PC).

Both PC and laptop could then connect wirelessly to the router. I'd assume a new laptop will have wireless). Or alternatively you can connect both PC and Laptop to the router with cables (any router you buy will have a few output ports for connecting wired networks).

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Chorizo,

Unfortunately configuring a wireless router, getting all the magic numbers right, making sure you are taking full advantage of the router's capabilities (such as hardware firewall, etc.) is a tricky art. You don't say whether your computer has an ethernet port, and the laptop has ethernet (if both have ethernet, that opens up other possibilities).

Two suggestions :

1. take advantage of the (often excellent) advices on offer on TV's Computer Forums by posting a message there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internet-com...cation-f17.html

2. if you can't work it out, you can pm me; I can give you the name of a very competent local farang who can hook it up all for you (he charges by the hour for his time : I've used him myself because I am really not interested in hardware details at this stage of my life).

good luck !

best, ~o:37;

I'd be interested in knowing the contact information for the "very competent local farang".

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WaiWai,

I talked to my friend, and he's involved in some "personal issues" right now, and will be out of the country for a while, and doesn't want to play with routers and networks any more, sorry.

best, ~o:37;

The Computer Club, one of the outside activity groups associated with the Expats Club, meets every Tuesday at 1 pm at Tuskers. Generally they have a short program, but you would have an opportunity to pose your questions and chat with people there. Usually someone will take you under their wing and help you with a little project like this.

Wow i didn't know it would be this complicated...i had seen people come in internet shop and plug into pc with laptop???

Thanks for the replies chorizo

Actually it should not be complicated at all, but you know how it is with computers.......

You could try just buying the router and connecting it up as shown in the instruction book. If all goes well there should not be any issues. If you get problems then you could refer to the Computer Club or whatever, or post a message on TV again.

I had the same setup as you, bought a router and connected it up. Everything worked fine with the exception that the IP address of the router was the same as the modem, which initially caused setup problems. I posted a message on here and someone helped me resolve it. No doubt if you live close enough to the shop where you bought the router you could pay one of the staff a couple of hundred bhat to come and connect it for you in the evening - they do it all the time in the shops etc.

What kind of modem do you have ? An Speed Touch ethernet modem ? Model ?

I have a Belkin Wireless Router for sale at very low price, complete with power-supply, cables, install disc and documentation -life warranty. (The modem I got for free from my provider died last year and instead to by a modem again I bought a modem/router).

PM me if you're interested and I can even install it for you.

Edit: In case the laptop is not wireless I even have the Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter I bought at the same time as the router.

Edited by Dontdisturb