Moving... Possibly To Pattaya Or Close By.. Please Help!

catzonly

Hi all

I posted this on the Bangkok forum and someone suggested i post it here as hubby will be working at Amata, and apparantly Pattaya is closer to Amata than what Bangkok is. So i apologise if this is posted twice - mods please delete one of the posts should it create problems.

Here goes....

Hoping someone can help me here today. Hubby was offered a job in Bangkok area (Amata) and he was there last week to get the feel for it. If he accepts this job, they want him to start in Feb... problem is, we need to give them an answer within the next week. And i dont know where to start to see how things work, to see if my budget will work, etc.

Firstly - it will be 4 of us moving. Me and hubby and 2 boys (aged 6 and 2). So i will need to look at International schools (im not planning on being in Bangkok longer than the 5 year contract period hubby will have), so my son can at least come and do his secondary schooling back here in Aus. This will be our 2nd mayor move in the past 5 years... we moved to Aus from South Africa a few years ago.

Anyways,... besides that... we are looking at areas close-ish to either hubby's work, or a good Int school, and we kinda though of BangNa and that area - close to 2 schools, a little further from work, but do-able. What im mainly wondering is if thats a good, affordable area?? .. we wont be making reaaaally big bucks in the beginning, plus we will have to work our mortage here in Aus into the budget too.

Then i was also hoping someone could give me an idea on general living costs for a family of 4. Things like utility expenses, private health/medical cover, cost involved in leasing or maybe even buying an older second hand type car.... what extra costs are involved at schools - average uniform prices ( i know its a long shot, but maybe someone can just give me an estimate??), etc

Things like general and car insurance... is it necessary and what does it cost...

Internet, mobile phones, telephone lines... availablity, costs, etc

And then the last sticky one... what would it cost for us as a family to buy groceries for a month - food, cleaning stuff, toiletries, etc. We are a "normal" no fuss family who dont eat expensive foods - prefer home cooking, fresh foods... basics... lol i know its a tough one, but grasping straws here before we decided if this is for us.

Was also wondering if there are lots of houses/townhouses that are rented fully furnished?? As i will be leaving my stuff this side hopefully, and dont think its worth buying again that side?? Was also looking at rentals for condo's and apartments, but may not be the best choice with 2 young, noisy, crazy boys!!

Ok.... think thats my list for now... ANY help/advice would be greatly appreciated.... (or links to threads whcih may have info on this - not quite figured out the full use of the forum!!!)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Amata (in Bang Prakong area) is halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya if you consider outskirt to outskirt. But from Bangkok's outskirt district of Bangna, there is an elevated highway that leads straight to Amata, just a 35 mins drive.

And Bangna area has two international schools to choose from.

Pattaya to Amata will need a 7-8 km drive through busy Sukhumvit road with its traffic lights to connect to the start of a highway. If there is congestion, it may take 45-50mins to get to Amata.

Wonder why someone recommended Pattaya to you.

Housing estates in Bangna area suited to your requirements would be Lakeside 1 and 2, Windmill, Blue Lagoon, and Villa Arcadia.

Eg: http://www.villa-arcadia.in.th/srinakarin_Thai/

Edited by trogers

Amata (in Bang Prakong area) is halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya if you consider outskirt to outskirt. But from Bangkok's outskirt district of Bangna, there is an elevated highway that leads straight to Amata, just a 35 mins drive.

And Bangna area has two international schools to choose from.

Troggers... thank you for the info... initially thats why i chose BangNa, cos of the 2 schools VERY close. Hubby also prefers that side of Amata - he actually stayed at the Novotel BangNa when he was over there last week, and we just realised that now!! LOL see what happens if you have NO idea of areas!!

He found the trip to the place he will be working quite reasonable... easier than his current commute here in Melbourne!

Robert - thank you... i received your message with all the details on Pattaya... will keep it all handy when we finalise the budget side of things and make a decision on where to go!!

Would love to hear some more replies of what others estimate costs to be and preferred areas!!!

I'm not biting...I smell a troll. Feed at your own risk :)

Nope I don't see anything, just a nice lady looking for some good advice from our knowledgeable members.

I'm not biting...I smell a troll. Feed at your own risk :)

Nope I don't see anything, just a nice lady looking for some good advice from our knowledgeable members.

Thanks Rimmer.... i chose to ignore that... i am a moderator on our local South Africa to Oz forum... and one get to know the trouble makers!! LOL

Hi Catzonly,

We live not far from Amata

Hi lsd

On a completely different note... if we chose to stay close to Amata, would you know of any international english schools closeby (say within a 10 - 15km radius)??

(will also drop you an email)

Thanks heaps

Another quick question... i have had some pm's and seems there are different views on water supply. Someone told me its free supplied by the goverment and someone else gave me an amount of 1000BHT per month where they stay.... does this vary from area to area, or am i looking at it all wrong?

Another quick question... i have had some pm's and seems there are different views on water supply. Someone told me its free supplied by the goverment and someone else gave me an amount of 1000BHT per month where they stay.... does this vary from area to area, or am i looking at it all wrong?

Water supply from the government to landed properties cost Bt8-12/m3 depending which part of Thailand you are at.

But in provincial areas (like Pattaya), the public water supply may become dry during the dry season, forcing homes to buy trucked water from private operators. The latter is expensive. And this will only work if the house has a water storage tank.

Edited by trogers

Water supply from the government to landed properties cost Bt8-12/m3 depending which part of Thailand you are at.

But in provincial areas (like Pattaya), the public water supply may become dry during the dry season, forcing homes to buy trucked water from private operators. The latter is expensive. And this will only work if the house has a water storage tank.

Thanks Troggers... makes sense!!

Actually at the moment water in Thai owned houses with small to medium consumption and fed by the government water company get their water for free.

I had a 0 Baht bill for almost a year now! Part of government support schemes battling the economic crisis.

Indeed I would think Bang Na would be closer then Pattaya, although if you chose to live in the Mabprachan area of Pattaya (a slightly up class residential area 12 km outside of Pattaya city), where you are very close to the nr.7 highway going straight to Amata, commute would not be a problem.

I would think that area would be slightly cheaper in general, has definitely international schools very close by and IMO opinion the biggest advantage would be general accessibility to shopping. Pattaya is not a big place and has everything crammed into it, whereas I would imaging getting round Bangkok would be much harder.

As well as the fact that for some people being close to sea is an advantage (not talking Pattaya beach here, there's plenty of excellent ones close by!).

One drawback (or advantage, personal thing) could be the seedy nightlife, but this is easy enough to avoid, and I know of many expat couples thoroughly enjoying their time here.

For me personally the general quality of life in this area will be better then on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I agree with Montys' post.

Mabrachan would be a great spot. Nice area and the lake has lots of great little restaurants and cafes etc.

Also very near The Regents school too where quite a few Aussie teachers work (amongst all the Brits).

I have lived both in Bang-na (Soi 107) and Mabprachan and have commuted past the Amata zone many times. Personally, I would choose Mabrachan as that makes it easier to get to some nice beaches for the kids (beaches away from Pats that is) :)

to the OP:

will your husband get a driver, by chance?

Not entirely sure at this point in time... as far as i know only the 2 very senior persons at the company have drivers... is it very common for people to have drivers there?? I suppose its like asking if its common for Expats to have maids for eg......

I agree with Montys' post.

Mabrachan would be a great spot. Nice area and the lake has lots of great little restaurants and cafes etc.

Also very near The Regents school too where quite a few Aussie teachers work (amongst all the Brits).

I have lived both in Bang-na (Soi 107) and Mabprachan and have commuted past the Amata zone many times. Personally, I would choose Mabrachan as that makes it easier to get to some nice beaches for the kids (beaches away from Pats that is) :)

Especially now, with the new highway to Pattaya to be opened.

There is a highway exit/entrance near Mabrachan Lake.

to the OP:

will your husband get a driver, by chance?

Not entirely sure at this point in time... as far as i know only the 2 very senior persons at the company have drivers... is it very common for people to have drivers there?? I suppose its like asking if its common for Expats to have maids for eg......

Thai expect foreigners to have at least a gardener and a maid, unless you're married to one.

I live on my own, having no driver and no maid, and most Thai are puzzled when I tell them that I do my own laundry, ironing, home cleaning, shopping, etc.

Having a driver as a foreigner is usually an insurance matter or a lack of confidence.

Can someone help me/give me an idea of where to find info on Mabprachan Lake.... is it "before" you get to Pattaya, how far from Pattaya for example, etc???

Thanks to one and all for the time and trouble in replying - much appreciated

Can someone help me/give me an idea of where to find info on Mabprachan Lake.... is it "before" you get to Pattaya, how far from Pattaya for example, etc???

Thanks to one and all for the time and trouble in replying - much appreciated

if you were coming down from Bangkok, you would be able to head east before getting into Pattaya to get to the Mabprachan area. it takes me about 1 hour to get from Mabprachan to the airport. another 30 minutes or so to get into downtown Bangkok.

from Mabprachan area to the beach on motorbike can take me 10 minutes to 20 minutes depending on if there are cows in the road or perhaps i get caught behind a construction vehicle. by car, you can get to the beach in 15 minutes or so.

have a look at this map. the body of water is Mabprachan Lake: http://maps.google.co.th/maps?f=q&sour...EBg&split=0

Edited by anothertorres