Sending Money Home

I know this has been asked many times. I did a quick search of the threads however and couldn't find anything, so it is easier just to ask again.

I have a small family emergency and I need to send my sister about $700 USD. Have a work permit and this is well within my salary.

What documents do I need to show up with at the bank to get them to approve the transfer?

just go to any bangkok bank, ayuddhaya, siam commercial or others.... with your cash and proper personal identification paper, passport etc

tell the counter girl/guy that you wish to transfer the equivalence of 700 usd to wherever....

fill in the required form which should take no more than 5 minutes.... they may ask you a few questions....

unless you act very suspicious.... you should have an easy sailing.... and have everything completed within 15 minutes, not including waiting time, sitting and having nothing to do in their lobby.... lol

good luck and better do it quickly.... some bank closes at 15:30 or so....

Edited by nakachalet

With BangkokBank you can do it via their website in a couple of minutes once you've filled in the forms at the branch (and have work permit etc).

The annual limit is your annual salary...

Have noticed the mention of a work permit, and a limit of your annual salary as conditions for sending money out of the country. What if you are retired here and have brought money in to buy a house, then sell it and want to send it back???

As stated by others, with Bangkok Bank you can do this online from home via iBanking. You need to setup first, but then it is online, very convenient and VERY popular now in Thailand among expats. Because BBL has an International network the transfers can be much cheaper too.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...es/default.aspx

With BangkokBank you can do it via their website in a couple of minutes once you've filled in the forms at the branch (and have work permit etc).

My salary is not paid into my Thai bank acount and they didn't even ask about it when I made the transfer, they were only interested in the work permit.

It depends on the amount being transferred. If a large amount they want to know the source of funds

My salary is not paid into my Thai bank acount and they didn't even ask about it when I made the transfer, they were only interested in the work permit.

1,5 million Baht.

I'd have thought that would have drawn their attention, it would in a US bank?

It depends on the amount being transferred. If a large amount they want to know the source of funds

I refer you to the "Bangkok Bank Frequently Asked Questions" I posted yesterday. This applies to all banks operating in Thailand, local and foreign. From our website BangkokBank.Com

"Please note that any transfer of more than US$20,000 must be notified to the Bank of Thailand and transfers of more than Bt2 million must be notified to the Anti-Money-Laundering Office. Bangkok Bank will require you to complete some forms so that we can process these notifications on your behalf"

1,5 million Baht.

I'd have thought that would have drawn their attention, it would in a US bank?