Flights From Thailand To Uk More Expensive

Richb2004v2

It seems to be significantly more expensive to book a flight from Thailand to the Uk than the flight in the reverse direction on the same day. 568 GBP from Uk compared to 44145 baht (830 GBP) the other way! This is with Emirates, since I use them most of the time and are the cheapest to Newcastle in the Uk. Is there any way around this, like booking the Bangkok to Uk flight from the Uk or something. I can't see why one should be more expensive that the other.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem. My ticket to Glasgow with Emirates was 46,400 Baht at the end of September whilst my colleagues ticket Glasgow Bangkok was £590. I’ve tried to buy from a UK travel agent or direct from Emirates and use the ticket BKK- Glass, Glass-BKK but the price is actually more. I reckon if your flying back and forth you must get a one way ticket from BKK to the UK, then buy the return from the UK. This is what I will be doing next trip. I put it down to greed on the Thai side.

Let me know if you find a cheaper way.

Cost of plane tickets are based on the currency (strength and value) of the country of origin.

:)

Not completely true.

In fact the U.K. has an active "discount" air fare sector. That lowers all the fares...through competition...even on the scheduled non-discount flights. There's no such thing...well not as active anyhow...in Thailand. The "market" charges what the "trade" will pay.

I can get a fare from London to BKK at a lower price than I can from Athens to BKK. Why? Well because of the volume of passengers flying from London to Bangkok...the planes are going to be nearly full. With a passenger load like that already certain, and the overhead costs (fuel charges) already covered, an airline can afford to give a slightly lower fare per passenger and still profit on the full plane load.

So why don't I fly from Athens to London....then go on to BKK. Because the EU mandated fare rates in Europe are rediculous...anything I could save on the London to BKK leg is eaten up by the Athens to London fare. Add the cost of a hotel in London...and there's no point on the booking the "cheaper" flight.

Question however...is that fare based on all charges including tax or is it just base fare not incliding taxes?

The difference can be expensive. Many on-line sites don't include the tax and other charges.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Cost of plane tickets are based on the currency (strength and value) of the country of origin.

:)

Not completely true.

In fact the U.K. has an active "discount" air fare sector. That lowers all the fares...through competition...even on the scheduled non-discount flights. There's no such thing...well not as active anyhow...in Thailand. The "market" charges what the "trade" will pay.

I can get a fare from London to BKK at a lower price than I can from Athens to BKK. Why? Well because of the volime of passengers flying from London to Bangkok...the planes are going to be nearly full. With a passenger load like that certain, and the overhead costs (fuel charges) already covered, an airline can afford to give a slightly lower fare per passenger and still profit on the full plane load.

So why don't I fly from Athens to London....then go on to BKK. Because the EU fares in Europe are rediculous...anything I could save on the London to BKK leg is eaten up by the Athens to london cost. Add the cost of a hotel in London...and there's no point on the booking the "cheaper" flight.

Question however...is that fare based on all charges including tax or is it just base fare not incliding taxes?

The difference can be expensive. Many on-line sites don't include the tax and other charges.

:D

Completely true, unfortunately! But I do agree that there are additional factors that come into play and compound the issue, such as an element of discounting, although this is not substantial and uniform given that airlines from all over world compete with each other for market share and customer load.

"It seems to be significantly more expensive to book a flight from Thailand to the Uk than the flight in the reverse direction on the same day. 568 GBP from Uk compared to 44145 baht (830 GBP) the other way! This is with Emirates, since I use them most of the time and are the cheapest to Newcastle in the Uk. Is there any way around this, like booking the Bangkok to Uk flight from the Uk or something. I can't see why one should be more expensive that the other.

Any ideas? "

who are you booking with? try evaluating travel agency prices here and you may find the prices you are being offered improve. another important set of prices to obtain as well as the price to your final ultimate destination are prices of the legs to the various hubs you may use from bangkok, in your case say heathrow and amsterdam as well as the gulf states. i hope this helps, flights this way are often a bit more expensive but not as bad as first may seem. also leaving thailand on a friday can add £400 to a fare on some occasions

And one more time, with feeling: the cost of plane tickets is based on the strength and value of local currency at the point of origin.

Nonsense!

The price of tickets is based on how much the airline thinks it can charge a passenger!

At this moment the cheapest way is to buy a single to Europe (shop around) and book a return ticket departing from Europe.

if you are flexible with dates you have time to hunt for some lower fares. It might be difficult now, before xmass, but in january you can get bkk-lhr return with BA for some £600 (my wife got that price 2 years ago), with a fixed returned date, not possible to change either way.

otherwise air asia from KL to stansted one way, and from the LHR jet airways to bangkok - they have discounted tickets valid for 6 months, you can once change ruturn date to uk without any penalty.

And one more time, with feeling: the cost of plane tickets is based on the strength and value of local currency at the point of origin.

Nomesense.

It's to do with marketing and popularity of the return routing.

There's going to be more return trips UK-BKK-UK than BKK-UK-BKK so more competition for the UK (Europe) market as Thailand is a backpacker/cheap exoic destination but the passengers originating in BKK are going to be rich Thais or rich Farangs who can be made to pay more.

Nomesense.

It's to do with marketing and popularity of the return routing.

There's going to be more return trips UK-BKK-UK than BKK-UK-BKK so more competition for the UK (Europe) market as Thailand is a backpacker/cheap exoic destination but the passengers originating in BKK are going to be rich Thais or rich Farangs who can be made to pay more.

......or sponsored Thai Girls :)

I've been googling like mad, it doesn't seem any cheaper than at a good agent here. Besides I can't really find many sites that let you book the same flights as you would from Thailand (Not the same flights in opposite directions)

on thai airways website there is a section on discounted faires http://www.thaiair.com/AIP_SuperDeals/FilterSpecial - there are no any deals anywhere at the moment, maybe because it's before xmas.

to europe it's usually to London. They are announced only a few days before departure and it's very few of them, so you have to check daily and be ready to depart at short notice.

you can look into air asia from KL to stansted near London, but you have to book well in advance to find some good prices.

also check jet airways which only started this year to fly to LHR and are were giving good promotions - again you have to book many months in advance.

I booked my Return flight in January (peak period) on Emirates FROM UK to Thailand. My usual Travel Agent in the UK quoted me a price that was within 5UKP of the Emirates web site price! (572 UKP everything included)

This was exactly the same ticket, same flight numbers.

I am a member of Emirates frequent flyer (Skywards) but only a bottom-tier (blue card) member so I doubt that made a difference.

HOWEVER..... I did not look to see what Emirates wanted for journeys STARTING in Thailand but it may be worthwhile for the OP to go straight to the Emirates web site and buy online. It will be an e-ticket BTW.

Edited by VBF