Solar Garden / Drive Lighting?

pianoman

I tried Solar Lights maybe 10 years ago in America and found them next to worthless for both Garden and Walkway lighting.,.... Would like to know if anyone here in Thailand has used the newer technology ones here in succesfully???? Just looking to add a bit of Charm and enhance the appearance of the yard,.....

Pianoman

Maybe the ones with the bigger panel on the top? Sorry no idea

The next house in my Village bought 3 small one a few months back, fine they came on as soon as it got dark and then got weaker and by 9pm had gone out.. So no good at all, as they leave for work in BKK @ 4:50 am and return home between 9 - 9:30 pm..... last weekend they had an electrician come and install electric one on a timer.

Maybe the ones with the bigger panel on the top? Sorry no idea

The next house in my Village bought 3 small one a few months back, fine they came on as soon as it got dark and then got weaker and by 9pm had gone out.. So no good at all, as they leave for work in BKK @ 4:50 am and return home between 9 - 9:30 pm..... last weekend they had an electrician come and install electric one on a timer.

That was my experience also, maybe 2 hours of pretty dim (and pretty worthless) light.

Maybe the solar ones aren't so good so has anyone seen the low voltage lighting systems here? One that has a control box that can be programmed for on/off times?

The typical kit would have the controller/transformer and maybe 6 or 8 lights that can be connected.

The ones i am used to seeing in the US would operate on 24VAC.

Tried solar power garden lights, they lasted about one week before they all went on the rubbish tip.

I now have mains voltage with 5w energy saving lamps all over the place coupled to a lite sensitive photo cell sensor switch, (350 baht at Homeworks) they come on when it gets dark and go out when it gets light, no need to adjust the timer.

Yep, the solar-powered ones are crap. In the process of bunging 1 watt LEDs around the garden, replacing the 20-watt downers. They chuck out a fair amount of light - equiv to about a 5-watt low energy one. Not great spacial range but good for shining on trees. Can get the twin-pronged 12v or Edison 240v - 150 baht ish and last a long time.

24778.jpg

Yes the solars look nice for about a week & then they are either dead or next to dead. The bulbs with a timer are the way to go. even the solars I brought back from the states are iffy. Then I noticed although they claim made in the USA the inside chipboard is stamped China.........HMMMMMMMMM

Same here, I bought solar lights that I though was a deal. It was like 100+ baht per fixture. They worked great for about a week. They started getting yellow, water leaked inside, etc. Pretty soon the batteries were dead and the panels couldn't give a charge. They would last until 8-9pm max and then go dead. Now they are worthless pieces of plastic. I don't recommend them.

I neglected to initially install wiring for garden lights at our Up Country Home, but at the 2008 and the 2009 www.architectexpo.com I visited the booth of

http://www.forcelinkthai.com/product/pro_c...20Garden%20Lamp

The owner of this company who speaks English very well explained why he does not sell his products at some major retailers and gave me a one year replacement warranty on a decent looking solar garden lights. These were not plastic junk, not 100 baht each. After 5 months two of the six lights were too dim. I e-mailed the firm, they responded and sent me two brand new lights and now all six put out a moderate amount of light similar to a name brand solar garden light you could buy at Costco or Home Depot in the USA. Low Voltage electric garden lighting will emit more light than solar fixtures but they can serve a purpose and it is possible to buy a quality product in Thailand.

The solar light model FLG-005 from Force Link Company is only as good as the rechargeable AA batteries installed in the fixture.

The solar light model FLG-005 from Force Link Company is only as good as the rechargeable AA batteries installed in the fixture.

I've considered solar lights for my mother's house in the USA, so this thread was an eye opener.

I didn't realize (some of?) the solars were based on rechargeable AA batteries. Is it the charger or the batteries that are the "weak link?" If it's the batteries, can they be replaced with higher quality ones?

I've considered solar lights for my mother's house in the USA, so this thread was an eye opener.

I didn't realize (some of?) the solars were based on rechargeable AA batteries. Is it the charger or the batteries that are the "weak link?" If it's the batteries, can they be replaced with higher quality ones?

For starters the batteries are very cheap cheap cheap. The lowest they can go on the limbo scale. The other problem is the receptor( I hope I am using the right terminology) The part that collects the light . from what I can tell the circuit board is somewhat sealed & whether proofed but the terminals to the battery are exposed. the lights shown in kamalabob2's link seem to be of somewhat better quality. But if it isn't an afterthought I would opt for wired in lights. If they are wired properly & on an elcb- rcb circuit not much can go wrong.I replaced my battery on one of the solar's & it is just a hummingbird that changes colors & it works....now the other butterfly is dead. I think unless you get decent solar lights & have the blessings of Buddah a witchdoctor a hanging rabbits foot & fuzzy diceOr are just one lucky farang you are punting.

I am glad Bob has had good luck & his company stands by the lights . they do look like the actually put some thought into the engineering & 2 out of many isn't a bad average.

Edited by Beardog

I've also gone thru several different chineesee pieces of krap solar lites .....at least 5 different models from medium to low priced and same same, they're all garbage [changing/upgrading batteries uselessly]. I think unless you're wired already, go with TIKI TORCHES....the kind the locals use with the M150 bottles and kerosine.

Why do they even bother making them??? because there are fools like us that think solar is green and cool and efficient, but not when you have to dispose of the batteries, electrical, plastic trash. Thanks chineesee for being ecofriendly!!

Yep, the solar-powered ones are crap. In the process of bunging 1 watt LEDs around the garden, replacing the 20-watt downers. They chuck out a fair amount of light - equiv to about a 5-watt low energy one. Not great spacial range but good for shining on trees. Can get the twin-pronged 12v or Edison 240v - 150 baht ish and last a long time.

24778.jpg

great idea

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two different sets of solar lights about four years ago and brought them here from the States. Both were made in China, one plastic and the other aluminium made. The plastic one lasted about two months but the aluminium one works to this day. Originally I had both sets installed just couple of inches above the ground but this coused excessive moisture and insufficient exposure to sun for charging batteries. After raising them to about three feet above the ground I'm getting much better results. They use special 1.2V batteries that I replace every year. I plan to install new lights in my garden this year and will be looking for something different than solar.

24778.jpg

Where can you buy them, Jack ?

Thanks

Up here in Chiang Mai there's an electronics store called Amorn that has them, along with other standard electrical outlets - cable/light suppliers. Yet to see them in the likes of Global, Home Pro, though. Best to have a drive around and check out the better electrical suppliers on the street within a town. I see you're in Khao Lak so may have to head down to Phang-nga or Phuket Town. :)

There are 3-watt and 5-watt ones out there, too, but haven't seen them about here.

Up here in Chiang Mai there's an electronics store called Amorn that has them, along with other standard electrical outlets - cable/light suppliers. Yet to see them in the likes of Global, Home Pro, though. Best to have a drive around and check out the better electrical suppliers on the street within a town. I see you're in Khao Lak so may have to head down to Phang-nga or Phuket Town. :)

There are 3-watt and 5-watt ones out there, too, but haven't seen them about here.

Thanks for that , Jack, will look out for them.

I've got a 14 Watt Solar Panel lying around in the store room for several years now. Will try and use that and one or two of the LEDs to illuminate the garden at night.

Mike

Have to agree with above negative comments regardng solar lights. My set from the UK lasted about 6 months in Isaan. Actually though my mother is the UK has had a set working for at least 3 years, so perhaps there are some better quality ones around.

• 2 weeks later...

Home made cheap solar stand alone for snack trolley man and gardens.

Most components bought at AMORN electronic Shops.

Components suggestion:

-Solar Panel 5 watts Imp 0.29 A Vmp 17.2 V Isc 0.33 A Voc 20.4 V

-Battery for UPS 12V 7.8 Ah

-Solar Charge Regulator TPS-545 - Max solar array 7A 22V

-Light: white color LED Rod power: 12V 144 mA

- Home made electronic extension BOX with switch 3 positions as:

1- Light OFF

2- Light ON

3- Automatic light ON at night only.

post-99192-1263878510_thumb.jpg

Home made cheap solar stand alone for snack trolley man and gardens.

Most components bought at AMORN electronic Shops.

Components suggestion:

-Solar Panel 5 watts Imp 0.29 A Vmp 17.2 V Isc 0.33 A Voc 20.4 V

-Battery for UPS 12V 7.8 Ah

-Solar Charge Regulator TPS-545 - Max solar array 7A 22V

-Light: white color LED Rod power: 12V 144 mA

- Home made electronic extension BOX with switch 3 positions as:

1- Light OFF

2- Light ON

3- Automatic light ON at night only.

post-99192-1263878510_thumb.jpg

Prices of components:(January 2010)

Solar panel 5 w : 1050 Baht (Amorn Siracha Tuckom)

Battery UPS : about 450 Baht (Amorm )

Solar Charge Regulator TPS-545 :550 Baht (Amorn Siracha Tukom)

Light Leds : about 100 to 250 Baht (Tepprasit Road between soi Kopai and PTT)

Home made electronic extension BOX with switch 3 positions : 150 Baht (Tepprasit Road between soi Kopai and PTT)

Cables and connections : less than 200 Baht

• 3 weeks later...

At Ban Moh Plaza Bangkok, you can find many type of LEDs , few solar panels, batteries, and solar charge controllers.

There is Amorn electronic shop there (at 3 places in the same zone).

Circuit of 12 leds (4pins) 12V 70 mA price 60 baht (on photo)

BAN MOH PLAZA Bangkok address near:

Thanon Ban Mo

Thanon Charoen Krung

Thanon Rachini

With G.P.S. Google Map go to:

13 44 48.57 N 100 29 49.76 E

post-99192-1265290057_thumb.jpg

post-99192-1265290169_thumb.jpg

post-99192-1265291050_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hey citizen 33 (cool name),

Did you happen to catch the origin and brand name of these disappointing lights?

I am in the process of gathering list of products and manufacturers to be avoided at www.solar-powered-garden-lights.net .

Have to agree with above negative comments regardng solar lights. My set from the UK lasted about 6 months in Isaan. Actually though my mother is the UK has had a set working for at least 3 years, so perhaps there are some better quality ones around.

I have about 15 solar lights mounted on my perimeter fence. I bought the lights at an Amorn Group Electronics Store usually found with some Lotus stores. They cost 149 Baht each, when on sale, and 199 Baht regular price. The lamps are made in China and have a TPS-XXX part number...there are about 5 different part numbers...each part number represents a little different appearance/shape. I bought the TSP-826 part number because I just like its appearance the best. They initially come with two 1.2V/600ma NICD batteries in a yellow battery casings....these batteries are crap!!!...repeat, crap!!!! They will last about 3-4 months before no longer being able to store much of a charge/completely failing. Here's a link showing the TPS=826 http://www.solargex....products_id=105

I replaced these batteries with some 1000ma NICD Tenergy batteries I bought off Ebay for about 20 baht each....these Tenergy NICD 1.2 AA batteries are lasting a lot longer...most are around 1 year old now and I haven't had one fail yet...and that Thailand sun and humidy sure are rough on any battery. Bought a couple other NICD 900ma batteries at Amorn just before I got the Tenergy batteries, and these Amorn procured batteries are about 1 year old also, but I can tell from the way these Amorn batteries are beginning to swell/look they probably don't have the life span of the Tenergy batteries. But bottomline, the batteries that initially come with solar lawn light are usually VERY cheap, won't last long...you'll need to buy a better quality battery. At this time of year, my solar lights come on around 6pm and continue to burn to about 3-4am....a few make it all the way until sunrise. I live in western Bangkok.

For those types of solar lights that use only one battery (1.2V) and usually have a smaller solar cell, my experience over the years has been they burn for a shorter time than the 2 battery design (total voltage being 2.4V since they are connected in series).

Now you need to realize that just buying a bigger milliamp-rated NICD battery is "not" going to make a solar light burn longer every night after the battery's initial charge (say 1000ma or 2000ma) is drained off to what it gets recharged to everyday. What I'm saying is if your solar lamp only charges at around 30ma (like my TPS models) and say you get 6 hours of "direct" sunlight on the lamps, the battery in the lamp is going to gain 6 times 30ma or 180ma max of charge during the day. And actually, the battery won't gain that much of a charge due to charging efficiency of the battery, etc. You'll be lucky to probably gain a total battery charge of 140ma per day with a solar lamp whose solar cell can only charge at around 30ma in direct sunlight. In cloudy weather the charge rate will drop much lower...my TPS light drops to around a 8ma charge rate in cloudy weather.. I've used my milliamp meter to measure the max/real world charge rate/output of my TPS model (i.e., the 30ma) and even the amount drawn from the batteries when the light turns on. Approx 15ma is flowing from the batteries/being consumed by the circuit when the light is on. So, I gained a charge of approx 140ma during the day...divide the 140ma by 15ma and I get about 9 hours of burn time which is what I currently getting when I've had a sunny, bright, not cloudy day. But if the day has been cloudy, especially like during rainy season, my solar lights only give about 3 to 5 hours burn time....depends on just how cloudy it was...did the sun poke through the clouds for a few minutes sometimes giving me a higher charge rate, etc.

Also, NICD batteries are almost always used in solar lamps versus NIMH batteries, because NIMH batteries require a high charge rate; not a low charge rate like produced by solar cells.

So, how long your solar lights will burn depends on the solar charge rate they produce, total charge received by the battery during the day, and the how many milliamps are being drawn/burnt when the solar light is on. A good quality 200ma NICD battery would make my solar lights burn all night just like a good quality 2000ma NICD battery, "if the batteries received enough charge during the day"....and both "good quality" batteries should last a year or more. In fact, the 200ma battery will probably last longer because rechargeable NICD/NIMD batteries last longer when they are recharged to their full capacity....and in a solar light I expect a 2000ma battery is receiving less than a 200ma recharge per day, 1/10 of it max charge capacity. Although I used a 200ma AA or AAA size battery in this example, about the smallest milliamp 1.2V AA NICD you can buy today is around 500ma, which is more than large enough storage capacity if they receive sufficient charge during the day. With a good quality NICD battery in your solar light, it all boils down to "charge rate and burn rate" as to how long it will burn every night.

Edited by Pib

I didn't get a chance to finish editing my long winded response above, before ThaiVisa went down for a short while this afternoon, so I'll just add this short emphasis post.

Be sure you use a good quality NICD battery...the ones that come with the solar lamps are usually crap!!! Be sure your solar lights get as much "direct" sunlight as possible as that is the only time the solar cell on top of the light can really produce an adequate charging current....if your solar lights get a lot of shade everyday from your house structure, trees, bushes, walls, etc., due to the current path of sun and the obstructions this "shady" light won't allow the solar cell to produce nearly as much charge current. And on cloudy days the solar lamps are going to charge like they were in the shade all day. Direct sunlight....just like you were staring directly into that yellow ball of flame in the sky....that is what the solar cells in these solar lamps need to produce a descent charge current. And if you got one of those solar lamp designs where the top is slanted a little, that slant ain't there to let rain run off; it's there so you can point it towards the sun's path in the sky to let the light hit the solar cell as directly as possible. Your most direct sunlight is from about 9am to 3pm because in the early morning and late afternoon the sun is low in the sky and hitting the solar cell at a large angle instead of a more direct, straight-on hit. So, place your solar lamps where they can get a lot of direct sunlight everyday; if that is not possible, you are doomed to just a few hours of lamp operation every night.

If you want to check out how the voltage and current outputs can change significantly in direct or shaded sunlight, just take out your trusty multimeter, which hopefully measures DC voltage and DC milliamps, remove the battery(ies) from your solar lamp, touch the leads of the multimeter to the battery compartment connectors to allow current flow, and then point your lamp towards the sun, slightly away from the sun, more away from the sun, etc. You will see the voltage output change fairly significantly as you move the lamp around, and when during a current/mllliamps measurement you should notice an even greater change in current output compared to voltage output when moving the lamp around to simulate sunny and shady conditions. Solar lamps require plenty of "direct" sunlight to work well. Cheers.

Thanks for that Pib.

I would like to add a little detail here. For a while now I have been hearing a lot about the poor or unexpectedly poor performance of solar-powered light. Some of the products out there are born 'garbage' destined for a landfill near you.

Before you get too frustrated, try this...

Set the lights to their OFF position and charge for a day or two or until fully charged. This is a great way to get peak performance. Always replace with recommended batteries. Point taken on crappy batteries supplied with your unit though.

Naturally, try to avoid installing lights in those shady areas, but it is unavoidable sometimes. I'm in Canada facing what seems like 9 months of darkness. Wish me luck and let me know if you want some snow.

Anyway, sometimes we get frustrated with these products needlessly.

Richard at www.solar-powered-garden-lights.net

I didn't get a chance to finish editing my long winded response above, before ThaiVisa went down for a short while this afternoon, so I'll just add this short emphasis post.

Be sure you use a good quality NICD battery...the ones that come with the solar lamps are usually crap!!! Be sure your solar lights get as much "direct" sunlight as possible as that is the only time the solar cell on top of the light can really produce an adequate charging current....if your solar lights get a lot of shade everyday from your house structure, trees, bushes, walls, etc., due to the current path of sun and the obstructions this "shady" light won't allow the solar cell to produce nearly as much charge current. And on cloudy days the solar lamps are going to charge like they were in the shade all day. Direct sunlight....just like you were staring directly into that yellow ball of flame in the sky....that is what the solar cells in these solar lamps need to produce a descent charge current. And if you got one of those solar lamp designs where the top is slanted a little, that slant ain't there to let rain run off; it's there so you can point it towards the sun's path in the sky to let the light hit the solar cell as directly as possible. Your most direct sunlight is from about 9am to 3pm because in the early morning and late afternoon the sun is low in the sky and hitting the solar cell at a large angle instead of a more direct, straight-on hit. So, place your solar lamps where they can get a lot of direct sunlight everyday; if that is not possible, you are doomed to just a few hours of lamp operation every night.

If you want to check out how the voltage and current outputs can change significantly in direct or shaded sunlight, just take out your trusty multimeter, which hopefully measures DC voltage and DC milliamps, remove the battery(ies) from your solar lamp, touch the leads of the multimeter to the battery compartment connectors to allow current flow, and then point your lamp towards the sun, slightly away from the sun, more away from the sun, etc. You will see the voltage output change fairly significantly as you move the lamp around, and when during a current/mllliamps measurement you should notice an even greater change in current output compared to voltage output when moving the lamp around to simulate sunny and shady conditions. Solar lamps require plenty of "direct" sunlight to work well. Cheers.

Set the lights to their OFF position and charge for a day or two or until fully charged. This is a great way to get peak performance. Always replace with recommended batteries. Point taken on crappy batteries supplied with your unit though.

You're right that above technique would initially help how well lights work for a few days, but after a few days that extra charge built up (same as putting the battery in a battery charger before first use) will have been used up/not replenished in an environment with not enough direct sunlight. It gives the solar light a high for a few days, then it's back to whatever charge amount the solar cell is producing in its sunny, shady, partly sunny, etc., environment.

Even here in Thailand and where I mentioned I had 15 perimeter wall solar lights, well that's really on two sides of my house only...the other two sides get too much shade from my house except during the summer months when the sun makes that high/almost straight-up arc across the sky. For the remaining parts of the year (spring, fall, winter) when the arc is lower in the sky any lights placed on those two usually shady sides of my house would only burn for about 3-4 hours tops...they were dead before I went to bed around 10pm or so. The constantly inadequate charge rate due to shady environments also decreases the life span of the batteries unless you give the batteries a full charge every month or so which will really required taking the batteries out and putting them in a battery charger for a few hours. I removed the solar lights on the shady sides of my house.

Yeap, probably for the great majority of all solar powerd lawn lamps (and definitely the ones I havey bought over the years) just didn't burn very long at night unless they get good amounts of direct sunlight during the day. I like having solar lights but I realize you just can't place them anywhere and/or expect them to burn most of the night in some environments.

Hmmm, so true. Shaded areas are really the killer and there are times when low voltage lighting is an investment you will have to make. That is, unless you are willing to experiment with remote mini solar panels and wiring. The idea being that you install your lights where you want them and power them with a solar panel positioned in a sunny area. you would have to bury the wires of course... and there goes the convenience of solar lighting.

Just thinking out loud!

Richard at solar-powered-garden-lights.net

You're right that above technique would initially help how well lights work for a few days, but after a few days that extra charge built up (same as putting the battery in a battery charger before first use) will have been used up/not replenished in an environment with not enough direct sunlight. It gives the solar light a high for a few days, then it's back to whatever charge amount the solar cell is producing in its sunny, shady, partly sunny, etc., environment.

Even here in Thailand and where I mentioned I had 15 perimeter wall solar lights, well that's really on two sides of my house only...the other two sides get too much shade from my house except during the summer months when the sun makes that high/almost straight-up arc across the sky. For the remaining parts of the year (spring, fall, winter) when the arc is lower in the sky any lights placed on those two usually shady sides of my house would only burn for about 3-4 hours tops...they were dead before I went to bed around 10pm or so. The constantly inadequate charge rate due to shady environments also decreases the life span of the batteries unless you give the batteries a full charge every month or so which will really required taking the batteries out and putting them in a battery charger for a few hours. I removed the solar lights on the shady sides of my house.

Yeap, probably for the great majority of all solar powerd lawn lamps (and definitely the ones I havey bought over the years) just didn't burn very long at night unless they get good amounts of direct sunlight during the day. I like having solar lights but I realize you just can't place them anywhere and/or expect them to burn most of the night in some environments.