Fish And Chips Review

nikster

I have also found a new place serving very good fish and chips.It is called Praties at the Mee Chock Plaza Rimping.Worth alook.

Understatement of the year, my friend!

OK, it's not February yet, but you get my drift. Praties (the real Irish word for potatoes - not 'tatties'!) is to be found down the right hand side of Rimping @ Mee Chok Plaza (junction of the Central Ring Road and Mae Jo road, the only clocktower in CM).

It is run by an Anglo-Aussie and his lovely fluent-English Thai wife. He is a catering professional who had a string of restaurants in Tasmania (nee Van Diemens Land!) and he really does know what he is doing.

Today I spent an almighty 120b on a big plate of excellent chips, generous (and imaginative) salad, 3 pieces of lovely, lightly & properly battered fish with tartare sauce AND GLASS OF WATER for FREE! The fish was flakey and tasty, very similar to cod and in volume just less than TWICE what you'd get at the tiny place near the other Rimping near the airport.

Praties started offering fish n chips 3 days a week, but kept selling out, so now this golden treasure is there 6 days a week (closed on Mondays). Beware the awful street market, full of total tat, which makes parking impossible there every Mon and Tues night!

On my first visit 2 weeks back I chose a club sandwich, which is also served with chips and a little salad. In over half a century of eating out, this was the first man who ever asked me how I wanted the bacon (in the sandwich) cooked!! What a star!

Praties does not stock beer, but within legal hours it is served to you cold and at COST PRICE via someone close by. I have no connection, etc etc, except as a Very happy customer.

And why has Piggies been closed the last 3 times I've been chipless in the city??

I am rubbish with road names etc.....any chance of a map or location by landmarks etc?

I have also found a new place serving very good fish and chips.It is called Praties at the Mee Chock Plaza Rimping.Worth alook.

OK, it's not February yet, but you get my drift.

Why is February significant, or is this a personal message?

Iain

OK, it's not February yet, but you get my drift.

Why is February significant, or is this a personal message?

Iain

Dumbest question of the year, and it's not even February yet :)

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!

Ok here's the mystery solved: When you declare something the "best of the year" or "understatement of the year", and there are still 11 months to go in said year, then it's a bit silly. It's only the first month! So you follow up the sentence with "and it's not even (next month) yet. It's all not too serious....

I recommend no more polls on "best" in town for anything. There is too much cheating and the results are worthless. Too bad because it was a way to give good places free publicity. :D

Just when I was thinking about posting a new topic..."The best secondhand bookshop in Chiang Mai" :)

Edited by gennisis

Realistically, there are THREE choices in town. Praties is delicious, I just tried them :D

Can you do a proper review? Like, pros, cons, and more than a single word. Would appreciate... unless you're the owner or the owner's brother, in which case don't bother :)

Praties is delicious, I just tried them

Can you do a proper review? Like, pros, cons, and more than a single word. Would appreciate... unless you're the owner or the owner's brother, in which case don't bother :)

What do you want to know? For details, I suggest you visit for yourself. I said it was delicious (in my opinion).

In my last restaurant review, I was banned from TV. This is all you are getting out of me this time :D

Oh dear!!

But surely you could just tell us the bare essentials in centimeters ; the diameter of the plate, its circumference, the number of chips on the plate,the average width and length of the chips in cms.so that we can work out whether the area covered by the whole chip population left something to be desired in it's relation to the proportion of plate covered.Were you satisfied with the length and width; how did the crispyness or the softness measure up on the UG chipometer scale, were they too salty, grreasssy,dry,or limp? What was the average temperature of the chips? Would you describe them as cool or barely warm and how did this compare with the fish? Were they straight enough for you? What percentage would you say were bent? Did their bentness go beyond the normal bounds of respectabilty? Did you complain or congratulate the chef? We need to know.There may be another twenty four hours before the next fish and chip thread. And anyway,I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of actualy eating the things, I just want to read about them on Thai Visa.

Realistically, there are THREE choices in town. Praties is delicious, I just tried them :D

I think many Chiang Mai guys are sexually deprived, that's why they take these restaurant reviews so seriously.

Best thing to do is have a good night out on the town and get it all out of their systems.

A good few strong beers followed by some short girly time, and then a good old Kentucky fried chuck up.

You're wake up feeling like crap in the morning, but at least you would have enjoyed yourself the night before and forgotten about these food threads for a few hours and much more fun than arguing about a plate of fish and chips.

There`s more to life, as they say.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I think many Chiang Mai guys are sexually deprived, that's why they take these restaurant reviews so seriously.

Best thing to do is have a good night out on the town and get it all out of their systems.

A good few strong beers followed by some short girly time, and then a good old Kentucky fried chuck up.

You're wake up feeling like crap in the morning, but at least you would have enjoyed yourself the night before and forgotten about these food threads for a few hours and much more fun than arguing about a plate of fish and chips.

There`s more to life, as they say.

So instead of asking for a restaurant review, I should go out and drink man's beer, then throw in a few crisp short times, smoke a ciggy and reflect upon life the next morning nursing my hangover.

So after all that, we finally realize what it's all about: Trolling forums that don't interest us! The pinnacle of man's achievement!

Did that place change names/owners or is it the same one that has been there for 3 or 4 years?

Praties is/was a new arrival a few months ago. I think you are thinking about Farang, a restaurant in the same block (but closer to the front of Rimping) which has indeed been there for 3 or 4 years.

Nice people (now on its 3rd set of owners) but with indifferent catering standards in my humble view. They don't really know about western food, and their value for money is far inferior to Praties.

Did that place change names/owners or is it the same one that has been there for 3 or 4 years?

Praties is/was a new arrival a few months ago. I think you are thinking about Farang, a restaurant in the same block (but closer to the front of Rimping) which has indeed been there for 3 or 4 years.

Nice people (now on its 3rd set of owners) but with indifferent catering standards in my humble view. They don't really know about western food, and their value for money is far inferior to Praties.

I visited the Farang restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it's the cleanest restaurant I've ever visited in Chiang Mai. The owner/cook is a very friendly Thai guy and the food was excellent. A great home-made chicken pie with veggies and chips was around 130 baht I think. This is about standard for farang food in CM. The food was excellent though. I put this restaurant on the same level as Bake and Bite. I visited the Farang restaurant when it opened 3 or 4 years ago and wasn't impressed; I am now.

I'm going to try Praties soon.

Edited by Loaded

A veiled reference to the CM pollution problem?

Perhaps it ought to be re-named the smoked-fish-&-Chips season ? :)

Or indeed some tall girly time, for those amongst us, who might be altitudinally-challenged ? :D

What do you want to know? For details, I suggest you visit for yourself. I said it was delicious (in my opinion).

In my last restaurant review, I was banned from TV. This is all you are getting out of me this time :D

Oh dear!!

But surely you could just tell us the bare essentials in centimeters ; the diameter of the plate, its circumference, the number of chips on the plate,the average width and length of the chips in cms.so that we can work out whether the area covered by the whole chip population left something to be desired in it's relation to the proportion of plate covered.Were you satisfied with the length and width; how did the crispyness or the softness measure up on the UG chipometer scale, were they too salty, grreasssy,dry,or limp? What was the average temperature of the chips? Would you describe them as cool or barely warm and how did this compare with the fish? Were they straight enough for you? What percentage would you say were bent? Did their bentness go beyond the normal bounds of respectabilty? Did you complain or congratulate the chef? We need to know.There may be another twenty four hours before the next fish and chip thread. And anyway,I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of actualy eating the things, I just want to read about them on Thai Visa.

LOL excellent response. I'm not going to mention my preferences (chips) people will only talk about me. :D

Oh dear!!

LOL excellent response. I'm not going to mention my preferences (chips) people will only talk about me. :D

May I say that you guys really are a fantastically useful bunch?! Thanks so much!

Can you do a proper review? Like, pros, cons, and more than a single word. Would appreciate... unless you're the owner or the owner's brother, in which case don't bother :D

Oh dear!!

May I say that you guys really are a fantastically useful bunch?! Thanks so much!

You're welcome. Seems I'm getting talked about and I've done nothin! :)

So the first response to this thread was that F&C threads are boring.

I have to concur with that now - I had no idea that it would be about pretty much anything, except F&C. To the few who actually tried to answer or write something useful: Thanks, you're stars. To the others: Ciao!

PS: Even short lady time was mentioned?! <deleted>?! WTFF?!?

I went over to Praties to check out the fish and chips the other day. I have to agree that they were the best I have had since coming to Thailand, there were four or five nice sized pieces of fried fish and a good helping of chips cooked to perfection. In fact I liked it so well that during the next two days I went back two more times to test some of the other western dishes. On the second trip I was accompanied by my other half and our daughter, we all ordered the pizza. The pizzas are 9 inches and made as a single serving for one person. We ordered two Hawaiian pizzas and a pepperoni pizza for me. The bread part was healthy whole wheat and they used chetter cheese on top. I was full when I finished mine and the girls had to get a to go plate because they could not eat all of theirs. On my next visit I ordered Praties Australian beef hamburger, it came with an order of those good chips; it was about a 1/3 pound of thick juicy ground beef and is one of the best burgers I have had in years.

I will be back for more real soon.

BB