Proposed New UK Fees

I think the most alarming point on these proposed new fees is the disparity between the actual cost and the fee charged, this proves once and for all that this is nothing more than a money making exercise.

Also I note the almost 200% increase, from £585 to £1680 for a dependent relative, I presume this would be charged in the event of a Thai wife settling in the UK with her children from a previous relationship.

I think the most alarming point on these proposed new fees is the disparity between the actual cost and the fee charged, this proves once and for all that this is nothing more than a money making exercise.

Also I note the almost 200% increase, from £585 to £1680 for a dependent relative, I presume this would be charged in the event of a Thai wife settling in the UK with her children from a previous relationship.

It is actually stated that there is a disparity between cost and the fees charged and the statement goes on to mention that this is a trend they are pursuing. The illusion of it being a cost covering excercise is totally washed away.

As to the dependent relative, well, I guess they think that if you want to bring them over then you'll pay whatever the amount.

I hope not!

My assumption is that this would be for an adult dependant applying under Para 317 rather than children under 18 applying to accompany or join their parent(s).

Whichever, the increase is outrageous, as have been all the increases imposed by Labour over nearly the last 10 years.

I have no objection to those applying for any type of LTR paying a reasonable fee to cover the cost of processing their application; but as can be seen, these fees are designed to make a profit, and a large one at that.

In my view, a cynical form of raising revenue that wont affect the majority of voters and so will go unnoticed by them; which is exactly what Brown wants.

Yes, they come into force in April, and they do not need to wait for Parliamentary approval to implement them.

Don't expect the Tories to reduce them if and when they get in later in the year, as 7by7 pointed out earlier very few voters in The UK give a stuff about the high level of charges for visas, I think most voters see high fees as a way of stemming the flow of immigration to the UK, and a way of reducing their tax liability. And make no mistake the high fees for relatives are aimed at the extended families from the Indian Sub Continent, but we all suffer as a result.

Edited by theoldgit

That's an extra 1100 quid for a dependent relative settlement visa - I'm assuming they'll class Thai wives as dependent relatives as they'll not be able to work until they get the settlement visa?

Looks like the 10 year visit visa (our kids are dual nationality and we want them educated in UK) is going to be the way to go, or a two year visit visa followed by an ILR application - it seems to be cheaper than a settlement visa, and I've heard it's easier to get.

Let's hope Thailand doesn't apply reciprocation on the fees.

The dependant relative fee is for other dependant relatives and does not apply to spouses, partners, children; who will pay the normal settlement fee.

Being in the UK with a visit visa will not entitle one to apply for ILR at any stage; visit visas cannot be converted to settlement in the UK.

There will be little sympathy from the general public - it is clearly a nice little earner for the treasury with little negative impact on votes so I suspect all political parties will have similar views.

My worry is the dependent relative fee - this is confusing but would appear to include children from previous relationships even if all parental responsibility has been picked up by the step-parent.

Unless I am misunderstanding this seems disgraceful (hopefully I am!) - I accept that my step-daughter (now in the UK) is getting the full benefit of healthcare and schooling at the taxpayers expense but I am one of those taxpayers!!!

I would hope that for those paying these 'stealth taxes' can get better service for their money than the fiasco of last summer with unacceptable delays in processing these visa applications. I suspect however those people at the embassies will not see a penny extra to assist with the workload!

Yes, they come into force in April, and they do not need to wait for Parliamentary approval to implement them.

Not quite - as this quote shows:

"These fees must be set out in regulations before both Houses of Parliament and are subject to the affirmative procedure"

There's no need for an Act of Parliament, just a simple vote 'ay' by both Houses - this is the affirmative procedure for a Statutory Instrument as here. But, yes, should be in force by April, MPs just aren't interested enough to reject them.

As for the fees chargeable for most readers/posters & their partners on this board, ie: Visitors Visas, Settlement, ILR and Nationality, the fee rises could have been worse, but they do seem to have decided to clobber Dependent Relatives and 10-year Visitor Visa applicants this time around.

Still bloody outrageous level of charges, though, and way above the actual unit costs incurred :)

Edited by paully

My worry is the dependent relative fee - this is confusing but would appear to include children from previous relationships even if all parental responsibility has been picked up by the step-parent.

Unless I am misunderstanding this seems disgraceful (hopefully I am!)

I think that you are.

There are basically three types of family settlement visa

• Spouse/partner
  • Child
  • Dependant relative (usually an adult)

This massive increase appears to me to apply to the last category only.

I suspect however those people at the embassies will not see a penny extra to assist with the workload!

They wont; and the government readily admit that.