Retirement Visa

I am employed with the US federal government and plan to retire on 31 JUL, then obtain a retirement visa (or residency permit) and reside in Thailand.

While recently visiting Thailand someone told me that residency permit holders could request a one time only household goods shipment to Thailand,duty free.

Is anyone aware of this possiblity, if so, who do I make the request to.

Thanks.

Thetyim,

I have no idea what the law is. I only know in Nong Khai, I was told my 1,300,000 baht was not enough for a retirement visa, because it was a joint account with my wife. I was told to add 300,000 baht to the account and I could have the retirement visa.

Renewed my annual today with Nong Kia, Nina did the work.

I got the physical and was told I didn't need it.

Married, Bank letter 400K in the account and it also said I deposited 40K a month in a Thia bank, from another country.

My account is in my name only, my wife can sign on my account but her name is not on the book.

Had the norm for each year:

Letter from the embassy with my retirement amount on it.

Marriage license

Copy of wifes ID

House papers

Copy of the land lords ID

Copies of my passport.

It went right through with no problems.

On the physical they said that it only needed to be done with the first application.

Keep in mind things change from time to time, this worked today.

Thetyim,

I have no idea what the law is. I only know in Nong Khai, I was told my 1,300,000 baht was not enough for a retirement visa, because it was a joint account with my wife. I was told to add 300,000 baht to the account and I could have the retirement visa.

Married, Bank letter 400K in the account and it also said I deposited 40K a month in a Thia bank, from another country.

My account is in my name only, my wife can sign on my account but her name is not on the book.

Marriage license

Copy of wifes ID

House papers

Copies of my passport.

On the physical they said that it only needed to be done with the first application.

A physical has never been required for a support Thai wife extension in Bangkok. And I have never had to have any letter from Embassy with retirement amount although I have provided them a copy of my yearly pension change notice. Would be interested to know if others have had to provide pension/income letter from embassy when they have the full 400k in bank account.

Thetyim,

Marriage license

Copy of wifes ID

House papers

Copies of my passport.

A physical has never been required for a support Thai wife extension in Bangkok. And I have never had to have any letter from Embassy with retirement amount although I have provided them a copy of my yearly pension change notice. Would be interested to know if others have had to provide pension/income letter from embassy when they have the full 400k in bank account.

It does appear that different offices do require different things, the physical came out of the blue that was new this year and judging the repsonse when I completed it must have been a mistake that is ongoing. The way Nong Kia works on it's days in Udon is they have a civilian process the papers before you see an officer. She did say that it was a requirement the officer said it wan't. Mia Bpen Lia got the blood pressure checked a listen to the ticker and lungs.

I was actually expecting the financial requirements to be easier as this is the first year that I had the cash in the bank to meet the requirements. It was no different then the other times I have done this.

Each person in these offices are different as well, the reason I mentioned the person's name who processed my work. That person is supposed to be the most difficult, I don't have problems wiht her. I only challenge her when I have to and the one time I did I won. When she tells me she wants something I already have it, this was my third time in doing this with her. So I know what to anticipate. I look at this way, it's the one time a year that I have to march to someones elses drum. Thats a lot better then what I used to have to do.