Makro - My Rant

BillR

Makro has made alot of improvements (at least in phuket) Premium deli, bakery etc. more western foods. But, they have one massive problem, Things I serve on my menu almost always one day dissappear. It is even sometimes the staple items. I can only imagine this has to be a faulty procurement/logistics system. They will not have simple specific foodstuff for weeks and then it magically appears again. Its the same at bigc or tesco as well.

/end rant :)

I've seen the same at the Makro in Nakorn Sawan -- seems to me that Makro is the worst regarding this phenomenon.

They procurement system suffers from massive rectal-cranial inversion.

I believe they only order in 1 or 2-week cycles. If an item turns over more quickly than usual, they will inevitably stock-out. Then everyone must wait until the next order cycle to see merchandise in stock again.

Makro Phuket once had Brussels sprouts - fresh ones. That lasted for about two weeks. Never to be seen again.

And what ever happened to "Look" kitchen cleaner spray? Big C haven't stocked it for 3 weeks and I use it all the time.

I suppose we are mainly talking about imported products here which may involve a more complicated ordering process than normal.

Brussel Sprouts are seasonal and perishable and maybe they moved slowly so they decided not to re-order. I even know a few farangs who whouldn't have worried too much about this. :)

I've seen the same at the Makro in Nakorn Sawan -- seems to me that Makro is the worst regarding this phenomenon.

They procurement system suffers from massive rectal-cranial inversion.

I believe they only order in 1 or 2-week cycles. If an item turns over more quickly than usual, they will inevitably stock-out. Then everyone must wait until the next order cycle to see merchandise in stock again.

ChefHeat, you are so right, where's all the good bacon/gammon/burgers and sausage gone??? :)

ChefHeat, you are so right, where's all the good bacon/gammon/burgers and sausage gone??? :)

They disappeared after my first trip to Makro :D I bought some English bacon and sausages, I think they were Kitchen King brand weren't they? Anyway I thought they were pretty good, went back for more and found a big pile of frozen duck bits where they used to be.

ChefHeat, you are so right, where's all the good bacon/gammon/burgers and sausage gone??? :D

They disappeared after my first trip to Makro :D I bought some English bacon and sausages, I think they were Kitchen King brand weren't they? Anyway I thought they were pretty good, went back for more and found a big pile of frozen duck bits where they used to be.

Now cannot get in Makro Surin, Korat or Buriram. If you ask they say "next week" :)

I now get my meat from Asia West Foods

Yes Gippy, That's the name, and it was pretty good stuff! :D:D

Makro Buriram and Surin are equally as bad,

French bread sticks and their 29bt white loaf are never available until 12 noon - yet they open at 6am

Hamburger buns if you are very lucky you can find 2 packs

Potatoes often sold out.

Used to sell packs of a dozen combs - assorted types, No longer able to find.

And so it goes on.

Makro Buriram and Surin are equally as bad,

French bread sticks and their 29bt white loaf are never available until 12 noon - yet they open at 6am

Hamburger buns if you are very lucky you can find 2 packs

Potatoes often sold out.

Used to sell packs of a dozen combs - assorted types, No longer able to find.

And so it goes on.

Yes - always keep a good stock of potatoes and tomatoes for when they "mai mee".

Makro Phuket now does some cheap French bread - 19 baht. Not particularly tasty, but as I use bread only as a substrate for tasty stuff, I don't really mind.

They also do some nice Danish type buns - cinnamon rolls and stuff. And it's air conditioned. I hope they thrive.

At the Hang Dong Makro in Chiang Mai, one day they stopped selling baking powder. It's been about a year since they have stocked it. They also stopped selling baking parchment. In that case I called the central office to ask them how to order it. They began shipping it out again to Hang Dong and it's been in stock ever since. Also unbranded ground cinnamon. I actually had a semi friendly argument with the staff in front who tried to assure me that they had never sold unbranded ground cinnamon even though I had been buying it for at least a year.

• 2 weeks later...
At the Hang Dong Makro in Chiang Mai, one day they stopped selling baking powder. It's been about a year since they have stocked it. They also stopped selling baking parchment. In that case I called the central office to ask them how to order it. They began shipping it out again to Hang Dong and it's been in stock ever since. Also unbranded ground cinnamon. I actually had a semi friendly argument with the staff in front who tried to assure me that they had never sold unbranded ground cinnamon even though I had been buying it for at least a year.

I found out, one a year ago, that baking powder is readily available in Thailand at Thai markets. It comes in a small package, white powder inside. There is no English written on the package. Ask a Thai for the translation. Have them write it down. Take that to the market. You should be able to find it. Sorry, I can't remember the Thai word for it at the moment.

Makro's business practices seem no worse than all the other big 'stupidstores' ....Tesco, carrefoure, etc. It's the price we pay for living in paradise......no store will ever be as good as back home and why do you expect it to be??

Either learn to substitute, do with out or........yankey go home!!