Veterinarians

I use Nerm Plum Wan Clinic regularly and almost exclusively. One caveat is the owner is Dr. Padet. He is a long term vet, educated in Thailand but frequently getting further education in US and UK. He is fluent in English and is someone you can trust. I alway call him first on his mobile phone and make appointment to meet him at the clinic before I go in.

Had anyone their pets spayed in Pattaya? Or ever heard of succesful experience?

I need to spay my little cat.

I kind of don't trust Animal Hospital at Nuern Plurb Warn, as they told me that a cat can be spayed and vaccinated in one day.

I was told that cats died after the spaying in Nuern Plurb Warn hospital. I don't advice anyone to go there, better take care about your pets.

Nuern Plurb Warn animal hospital is getting a bad rap. Remember it is a 24/7 hour hospital with at least 3 DVM's or more covering the floor. Dr. Padet is the Sr. DVM and I believe the owner. He and the other staff will make house calls. 3 weeks ago I took my male Min Pin in on a emergency basis. He had been bitten on the neck by our guard dog (Lion) when he tried to take Lion's dog's food. Lion grabbed him around the neck, shook and threw him away. We brought him into NPW on emergency basis and saw a young intern who was on Duty. The Min Pin (Java) was paralyzed, unable to stand, roll over or eat, drink etc. Dr. Padet was busy and I asked the intern to take x-rays. He did (3 of them), we reviewed them and could see no fractures. x-ray, 3 stitches, medication, shots cost B650. A week later later Java still could not stand, only lay sideways with 2 feet in front.

Non medical friends said I should put him down but I called Dr. Paven, brought Java back for a second opinion, he and another intern took me upstairs to the x-ray room. We all put on lead aprons while he proceded to take about 30 x-ray shots while we watched on a monitor. His conclusion was that no broken bones but a pinched nerve in his neck where Lion penetrated top and bottom of his neck.

His prognosis was in 1-2 weeks he would be able to walk. After 1 week he could stand, walk on 3 legs falling often. I am happy to say now after the second week he is walking on all 4 with a slight limp. I am sure by next week he will be 100%.

He gave me more medication and the total cost was B425. I hate to think what all of this would have cost me in US.

So in conclusion I am saying use Dr. Padet if you want excellent care.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone happen to know of a "veterinary cardiologist" in Bangkok (or anywhere in Thailand)? Has anyone had to treat a pet with heart problems? And if so, what was your experience?

took my great dane with heart disease to muang ake vet hospital close to rangsit university. we arrived at 7am and were immediately admitted and examination started on the spot. very friendly and caring staff, about 30 vets working there (as it is open 24 hours), all modern equipment for inner disease, clean. the main vet there very friendly and took her time to examine my dog properly with x-rays and ultrasound etc. so far am very pleased about this hospital. for the pricing i don't know as i don't have any comparison.

• 4 months later...

Good news for pet owners living in Koh Pha-Ngan, who up to now have had to take their pets to Samui for treatment since PAC was burnt down.

Dr Pong (formerly PAC's Vet) being the only qualified Veterinary Doctor on the island, has just opened her new Veterinary Clinic at Bantai.

The clinic is located on the main road between High School and Samui-Bangkok hospital, 3rd shop on the right past the school if traveling from Thongsala.

Please spread the word, specially amongst local Thais.

Open Monday-Sunday, 9am-12noon, 3pm-7pm

084 447 0944

Please call prior to visit, as Dr Pong may be away on house calls at any time.

• 1 month later...

Maybe these information can help. I brought my 2 cats to Kasetsart Animal Hospital Feb 07 and Feb 21 for check-up and vaccines. Here's the cost.

Feb 07 ( cost for 2 cats already)

Registration THB 20 (they will give you a yellow ID with your name and pet's name on it)

EXAM fee THB 100

De-Worming Tablets THB 100

Rabbies Vaccine THB 100

Feline Distemper Vaccine THB 360

Blood test THB 200 (for my persian cat only)

Total expenses THB 880.00

Feb 21 Cost for 2 cats again)

Blood Test THB 700 (prior to Leukemia vaccine). Both my cats are negative. so they proceeded with the vaacine

Feline Leukemia Vaccine THB 560.00

Total expenses 1260

Not really bad as before I used to go to a private Vet and cost me around 5k for all of these. Also so near my place just 15-20 minutes by car. My problem at the first though is that I waited like 3 hours or more just to have my cat check. Better you come there early in the morning. I think this is the case for government hospitals. At first I went around 10.30 am sat and my No. is 214. The second time is just 1 hr maximum. So bring a lot of patience with you as well as some books o read. If you speak a little Thai it will be a lot easier. In my case I manage to survive using just few Thai workd I learned here.

But as for the service, I would say that they're very good, the rooms are clean, at the the doctor that checked my cats can speak English and helpful.My persian cat just lay flat on the table with no hesitation when the doctor took some blood samples and all. Really made my cats so relax and at ease.I found these less stressful that the first time I visited a vet here in BKK.

I will go back March 7 for the next round of Feline distemper so will post next time.

BM

• 1 month later...

In Chiang Mai:

I recommend Ban Mha Ka Maew Animal Hospital. They are excellent. The partners who own the hospital were educated in the USA. Our doctor is Dr. "A" (Mo Aaa). He taught at CMU for many years. He has a clinic in Sansai in the evenings but surgery is performed at the hospital. He just spayed our elderly Golden Retriever (who has a bad heart). She is doing just fine after the surgery.

I always see many farang in there.

Ban Mha Ka Maew Animal Hospital

255/10-12 Mahidol Road

T. Padad A Muang

Chiang Mai

053-205155

053-204215

• 2 months later...

I would agree with Skylar in that Thonglor Pet Hospital is of the best quality and assurance in my experience. It is a very first class operation and they take very good care of the animals. They have a number of vets there and it is open 24 hours. They also have a full surgical center, physical therapy center and eye care division. I even leave my dog at that hospital when we have to go out of town because they have always taken very good care. Depending on the medical needs of your cat or dog, the bill is on the higher side of the list. I had my dog hospitalized there as a pup with a life threatening illness and I think I paid around 7,000 - 10,000 baht for a week on inpatient care, of in-puppy care if you will.

They do have some doctors that speak acceptable English, such as Dr. Suwimon. She typically works nights after 4pm. I am sorry that I am too lazy to read every post here, but I have no idea where you live so my recommendation for this hospital might be irrelevant. But overall, if I had to move outside of Bangkok and need a vet... I would fly or drive my dog back to Bangkok to get treated at this place because I trust their level of knowledge and dedication. See a lot of Japanese and richy-rich girls bringing their dogs in their too.

Hope this helps,

• 1 month later...

Kan anyone please help me!! I need to get in contact with a fantastic vet in pattaya, called "Muang Ake Centeral Veterinary"

If anyone goes there with their animals, can you please ask for a e-mail adress, so i can get in contact with one of the doctors there?

I live in norway, so a telephone number wont help me :)

i went back and read some recent posts about muang ake vets but they are all in different areas, or maybe not? try to pm elfe, or agenda (they posted up above in june, so not to many posts to sort thru... maybe muang ake is a group?

and why do u need the email? if u are in norway?

from post 64

muang ake vet hospital close to rangsit university. we arrived at 7am and were immediately admitted and examination started on the spot. very friendly and caring staff, about 30 vets working there (as it is open 24 hours

and post 59, muang ake on sukhamvit... not sure of my geography but maybe one vet clinic email u can try to get the other vets' email....

bina

israel

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2075069

Post #5

I highly recommend Muang Ake Central Veterinary Hospital on Sukhumvit just south of Lotus Pattaya Tai. Its on Lotus side of Sukhumvit and a very professional vet with reasonable prices. I have had nothing but bad experience with Nernplubwan vet but would highly recommend Muang Ake.

Their telephone number is 038-233-200 - 24 hours.

Good luck!!

Post #6

I also have used this place - I confirm they do home calls - they appear most professional - they clearly display prices in English & Thai - also have a published rate for home visits - something like 8-10 Baht per Km but rate varies whether you need motorbike or car.

http://www.npw-animalhospital.com/contact.htm

http://www.npw-animalhospital.com/index.htm

And some more recommendation on that thread.

• 4 months later...
I arrived in Bangkok 5 months ago from Dubai with 2 dogs and 3 cats. Initially my pets were kenelled at the Ari Pet Hospital. The vet there speaks very good English and does house calls. Dr Ari. I am now using a vet closer to where I live at the Thong Lor pet hospital which is a 24 hour place. The vet I use there is very good and speaks very good English.

This is funny! I am in Dubai and thinking of moving to Thailand! Which clinic have you been with in Dubai?

• 5 weeks later...

Kasetsart, Mahidol and Chulalongkorn are all Veterinary Universities, and so far I've heard from several people that have been there and had their pet treated, they are (very) good.

Chulalongkorn University

Faculty of Veterinary Science

TEl.: 0 2218 9771, 0 2218 9773

Mahidol University

http://www.vs.mahidol.ac.th/hospital/

http://www.vs.mahidol.ac.th/index.php?opti...5&Itemid=74

Tel.:0-2441-5242-4

Kasetsart University

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

http://hospital.vet.ku.ac.th/

Tel. :0-2942-8756-9

• 3 months later...

I hope i am posting this in the right place - Just want to let people know of my latest developement regarding the Vets on Soi Nernplubwan, Pattaya.

My 3 Month old Siamese Kitten became very sick on the evening of the 18th April, (the day before Songkran festival Pattaya) I took him to the Animal Hospital on Soi Nernplubwan, the lady Vet said his temperature was OK but he had either Diareahh on the way or constipated, and that he had stomach ache !!! He was given some tablets, and I was told NOT to bring him back the next day as the surgery was closed, and there was NO emergency services for the 19th April Full Stop. The day after my Kittens health deteriorated more, I telephoned Muang Ake Veterinary Practice on the Sukhumvit, and they told me they were open 24 hours, no problem. I managed to get my Kitten to them eventualy through the water throwing celebrations, and by the time i got there he was even more deteriorated breathing quickly, same as the time i took him to Nernblubwan, and now he was panting and frothing at the mouth..

He was immediately rushed into an oxygen tent, and then put the sleep to have liquid drained from his chest. He did not have stomach ache at all, he had a Viral Infection with respiatory infection, Soi Nerplubwan Vets were wrong. :)

I have to call Muang Ake very soon to see he is doing today (fingers crossed). The service I received at Soi Nernplubwan was terrible, they seemed to be only interested in there celebrations. The service I received at Muang Ake was immediate and they were very caring.

• 1 month later...

Hi all smile.gif

We just moved to Bangkok with our two cats and are now scoping out good Vets as I have heard to be weary of any ol' vet clinic around the corner.

Having skimmed through this topic, there are a few recommendations for two main vet hospitals in Bangkok. Thonglor Animal Hospital and Ari Pet Hospital.

Out of the two, could anyone recommend a good vet that speaks excellent English? if you could share your experience I would much appreciate it.

I have heard Ari Pet Hospital do house calls? Is this true? if so, does anyone know the name of the vet? and how is their English?

Thanks in advance jap.gif

• 1 month later...

Kasetsart, Mahidol and Chulalongkorn are all Veterinary Universities, and so far I've heard from several people that have been there and had their pet treated, they are (very) good.

Chulalongkorn University

TEl.: 0 2218 9771, 0 2218 9773

Mahidol University

http://www.vs.mahidol.ac.th/hospital/

http://www.vs.mahidol.ac.th/index.php?opti...5&Itemid=74

Tel.:0-2441-5242-4

Kasetsart University

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

http://hospital.vet.ku.ac.th/

Tel. :0-2942-8756-9

I have been using Kasetsart for a while now and am very satisfied, My mutt is old so problems starting to occur more frequently. Fees are very reasonable but as everywhere Drugs cost a lot . Very happy with service there although you have to be prepared for a long wait. Going at 7am is best , I often get out by 11am then.

If someone needs driver, I have a umber you can call. Kasem has toyota corolla type , might be able to pick you up and return you home depending on where/what time etc . Pm if needed.

N

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice, i just bought a little kitten and i now need to take her down to the vets to get her vaccines etc. I will take her to the Thong Lor pet place as recommended on this thread, but what i am looking for is advice about the vaccines, costs and procedures etc. Can anyone give me a little info (or point me in the right direction to find the details on the web)

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

[Hi do you happen to know of any expat vets in BKK? or any thai practices where they speak a lot of english? im looking for vet work in BKK and would really like to speak to a vet there about it...

There are virtually no foreign vets in regular practice in BKK. The main reason is that one needs to obtain a Thai vet license by taking the board exams in Thai to work in a normal practice or clinic. Some foreigners work under the umbrella of international NGO's. You might want to contact, for example, WSPA who have their Asia headquarters in BKK. The vets there are primarily allowed to work in an advisory capacity on specifically sanctioned programs.

The leading professional organization is the Veterinary Practitioners Association of Thailand. I wouldn't expect too much encouragement from them though, as they are jealously guarding their turf and prevent even foreign volunteer vets from helping out on stray animal projects.

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice, i just bought a little kitten and i now need to take her down to the vets to get her vaccines etc. I will take her to the Thong Lor pet place as recommended on this thread, but what i am looking for is advice about the vaccines, costs and procedures etc. Can anyone give me a little info (or point me in the right direction to find the details on the web)

Thanks in advance

First I'm sorry to hear you bought a kitten, when there are so many homeless ones available from great organisations like SCAD Bangkok or Pick-A-Pet-4-Home. That being said, Thonglor Pet Hospital is very good, but by far the most expensive in Thailand. For a more reasonable alternative check out Sukhumvit Veterinarians, right next to Thonglor BTS. They're not fancy, but extremely competent and caring. Best wishes to you and your furry companion!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We use Thonglor Pet Hospital after we needed some late night emergency care for our cat a few months back (when our usual local clinic was closed for the evening). The young vets and staff were very kind and went out of their way to include our preteen daughter as much as possible in the treatment room, as she was very distressed by kitty's accident. They explained everything in both English and Thai and the vet even called the following day to check up on the animal's progress. I was so impressed by their professionalism - and the cost of treatment (wound treatment, stitches, sedative etc) was only about 30 Aussie dollars.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

First I'm sorry to hear you bought a kitten, when there are so many homeless ones available from great organisations like SCAD Bangkok or Pick-A-Pet-4-Home. That being said, Thonglor Pet Hospital is very good, but by far the most expensive in Thailand. For a more reasonable alternative check out Sukhumvit Veterinarians, right next to Thonglor BTS.

They're not fancy, but extremely competent and caring. Best wishes to you and your furry companion!

I would have supported your comments on both establishments and reasoning to go to the one beneath the Thonglor BTS.

However 2 months ago our cat was clearly poorly and we took him into the S'vit Vet where the thin male vet was on duty.

There used to be a lovely old lady who ran this place, but I gather she has retired to Chiang Mai now, so...

the vet -who has zero empathy with animals- made a diagnosis and administered an injection.

Within 15 minutes our cat had gone into shock and because of evening traffic

it took us an hour to get back there where he just referred us to the Thonglor Pet Hospital.

There was zero assistance given nor any sign of responsibility to our cat who was clearly expiring in my wife's arms.

Out cat died later that night.

The assessment by the vet at the Thonglor Pet hospital was that whilst there is always a chance of an allergic reaction to any drug given,

she had never in all her time heard or seen of a reaction to the drug the vet claimed he had given.

In her view either the wrong drug or dosage had been administered.

Also, the vet now running Sukhumvit Vetenarians is renowned amongst his colleagues for his lack of apparent emotional care & interest in pets...

Best to avoid imo.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add a recommendation for Rama 3 Animal Hospital. It's acually on Naradhiwas in the last shop house on the corner of Rama 3 by the big Tesco/Lotus.

I rescued a local soi kitten who was in a bad state last month and took him there on the recommendation of one of my Thai colleagues who has used them for years. She specifically recommended them for being clean, well run and charging sensible prices. (NB - whilst I don't doubt that the service and standards at Thong Lor are excellent, this comes at a price and she specifically recommended me not to go there because see felt the service and standards at Rama 3 are equal when it comes to 'common' problems and routinue things - she's used both).

The vet I've seen is absolutely brilliant, speaks excellent English and genuinely loves animals (from cats and dogs through to rodents) - she patiently explains everything and the whys and the hows and what not to do, what differs here regarding animals, vaccinations, etc. They have a number of younger trainee vet nurses and interims who absolutely dote on all the animals too and do the simpler things like administering antibiotics, etc. under strict supervision - personally I like this as they're training the next generation in a good professional setting and totally support this - the trainees are also great with animals and very attentive (even when the Vet isn't watching or is out of the room)

Having had the flu and being quite poorly my kitten got a clean bill of health today so could start his vaccinations (only flu for now, rabies next month) and worming: total cost plus consultation was 290฿. Even when he was ill I never paid more than 700฿ - and that was the first time I went when I was dispatched home with a bag full of antibiotics, eye cream, immunity boosting supplements, syringes, etc, etc.

They're as good, if not better (more personal towards the animal), as I've experienced with good EU vets that deal with domestic pets.

I should also add that they do cat boarding too but are strict about it. I might have to work away from home for a couple of days in a few weeks time and asked about it - vet said that's fine, but do realise he'll have to stay in a cage and whilst he'll be able to see other cats through glass he won't be allowed to mix with them until he's had his vaccines completed and that it would be best if I could get someone to come to my house for a few hours each day instead, but if you're deseperate we'll sort something out: sign of a well run establishment, that genuinely cares about animal welfare and hygiene.

Finally, again going on the recommendations of my Thai friends and colleagues - if there's ever anything complex that needs doing or it's a bit more tricky than routine bugs, vaccinations. speying, etc (e.g. cancer, serious (road traffic) accident) they would all go to Chula Vet School and have nothing but praise for it for dealing with their older family pets.

Hope this is helpful.

• 9 months later...

Avoid Rama 4 pet cliinic in Bangkok. We brought our dog there to be spayed, they did poor work and he died from internal blledding. Furtherk in Thailand you have no recourse and vets accept noresponsibility

Would like to add a nail in the coffin (sic) for this clinic. If it is the one near Sukhumvit soi 42 and Sio Farm Wattana.

Took one of our dogs there for a routine procedure and even though he was vaccinated he caught Parvo virus. He has been to Chula and diagnosed and was on immunoglobulin treatment but has died. One can only assume this is down to lack of hygiene at said clinic.

Very sad.

Avoid Rama 4 pet cliinic in Bangkok. We brought our dog there to be spayed, they did poor work and he died from internal blledding. Furtherk in Thailand you have no recourse and vets accept noresponsibility

Would like to add a nail in the coffin (sic) for this clinic. If it is the one near Sukhumvit soi 42 and Sio Farm Wattana.

Took one of our dogs there for a routine procedure and even though he was vaccinated he caught Parvo virus. He has been to Chula and diagnosed and was on immunoglobulin treatment but has died. One can only assume this is down to lack of hygiene at said clinic.

Very sad.

We have since discovered that this is not an isolated indecent. My wife has talked to other local dog owners, at least one of whom reported similar.

Edited by VocalNeal

UPDATE:

Last week his sister also died.

There are now at least 7 or more confirmed cases on our soi not counting ours, from the same vet and one owner we met at the pet crematorium who lives elsewhere. One guy in the soi who lost 4 dogs has now got a petition going. What he intends to do is unknown. Local authorities are involved etc..

Edited by VocalNeal

I have a couple of cats that I picked up from the nice people at SCAD.

Both cats have a minor case of what I believe is ring worm and congunctivitis. According to the web, these are easy to treat, non-life threatening problems. It's just a matter of buying the right kind of medicine for the particular type of ring worm and getting eye drops for the congunctivitis.

My understanding is that there is a range of vets in Bangkok: Ones who offer top notch treatment for the rich folks and their fancy pets, and other vets who offer more basic care. Is this right, or do most of the vets charge more-or-less the same? After searching this site, I've found info on reputable animal hospitals for pets with serious problems, but what about the more affordable places for more basic care?

I'm hesitant to bring my cats in the vets described in this site because I'm afraid that I'll be hit with a big diagnosis fee or first time visit fee? Vets in Japan just love to charge new comers with "first-time visit" fees.

Not to be overly cheap with my pets... that said, I would go to Bumrungrad Hospital for shoulder surgery, but would be happy to stand in line at a public hospital for just an ingrown toe nail.

Please let me know if you

1. have any tips on cheap, basic care (shots, etc.) and

2. know any vets near Victory Monument. Hoping to minimize my cats' terrifying trip to the vet on the back of my motorbike.

I found a cheap vet very close to me, "Clinic Rak Sa Sat". It's just off of Ratchawithi Soi 2.

It was a pretty run-down place, I wouldn't recommend it for anything serious, but if your pet has a basic problem like conjunctivitis then I think it's a good vet to go to. I had my cat checked for ringworm and conjunctivitis. No ringworm, but got some medicine for the red eye. The vet visit cost a total of 140 baht.

I found the place looking on the internet, then called the clinic. The address on the internet was not correct, so I have included a map here for anyone interested in taking their pet to this clinic. They spoke absolutely no English, but were very nice.

It's actually not on Ratchawithi Soi 2, but *next to* Soi 2, in a little pocket of run-down building an shop houses that doesn't show up on Google Maps (I drew it in the map I've attached). The sign is in Thai with no English. The clinic is more-or-less "behind" the Narcotics Control Board. To get to the clinic, you must enter the small area that the clinic is in by turning from the road that runs under the Si Rat Urban Network Expressway.

post-120899-0-81141500-1334683633_thumb.

2. know any vets near Victory Monument. Hoping to minimize my cats' terrifying trip to the vet on the back of my motorbike.

If you have a carry case or basket of some kind you can take the Skytrain or taxi to Siam and walk down Henry Dummond on the RHS a few hundred meters to Chula University Dept. of Veterinary Medicine clinic. Very pleasant with a nice waiting room, pharmacy, x-ray dept. etc.

They also have a 24 hr emergency dept.. The human area is a bit grubby but at 4 in the morning is Ok for emergency.

Edited by VocalNeal