Water Dispensers

paulfr

My SO and I drink a lot of water. To buy it at the market would cost some 5-600Baht/month. To drink from the faucet would be almost free, but we feel it is not healthy water.The third alternative for us is the water dispensing machine on the ground floor of our serviced apartment building. Drops our cost to about 100B/month. A fourth alternative is to buy one of the water filtration systems offered at big places like Tesco.

My question is this.

What does the water dispenser system do for us ?

Is it just rainwater put through a filter ?

Maybe some purification chemicals added ?

I doubt anyone trucks in water to supply it. The machine is 6 ft high and about 3ft wide with a big green light on it. 6 Baht fills a large 40Baht bottled water container.

Is drinking pure rainwater okay health wise for a foreigner ?

Is bottled water at the market any better ??

Thanks for any infomation from anyone who knows about this subject.

My SO and I drink a lot of water. To buy it at the market would cost some 5-600Baht/month. To drink from the faucet would be almost free, but we feel it is not healthy water.The third alternative for us is the water dispensing machine on the ground floor of our serviced apartment building. Drops our cost to about 100B/month. A fourth alternative is to buy one of the water filtration systems offered at big places like Tesco.

My question is this.

What does the water dispenser system do for us ?

Is it just rainwater put through a filter ?

Maybe some purification chemicals added ?

I doubt anyone trucks in water to supply it. The machine is 6 ft high and about 3ft wide with a big green light on it. 6 Baht fills a large 40Baht bottled water container.

Is drinking pure rainwater okay health wise for a foreigner ?

Is bottled water at the market any better ??

Thanks for any infomation from anyone who knows about this subject.

Think it's just an automated tap machine connected to the mains :o

Water is dispendable anyway :D

I have 20litre bottles delivered to the house at 10baht a throw.

I had to go through 5 businesses before I found one that "made" proper drinking water.

Is this an option for you in an appartment ?

Could you carry them up yourself?

Thetyim

We carry them up from the ground floor via elevator .. so no problem.

Where are you living in LOS ?? (.... it's not Bangkok as I recall from some of your other posts.)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

We'll look into finding water delivery service here in Bkk.

10Baht for 20 liters including delivery seems like a pretty good price.

The machine is 6 ft high and about 3ft wide with a big green light on it. 6 Baht fills a large 40Baht bottled water container.

From the size of the machine and the cost indication, it would seem that the machine is actually filtering piped water by using a reverse osmosis process.

I have seen several of those coin-operated machines around Thailand. If the machine is well maintained, the water is fit for drinking.

Edited by Sphere

Paulfr,

I live up in the sticks in Phrae, but I think the same service exists everywhere.

I have a choice of 20litre bottles @ 10baht or a case of 20x950cc bottles @ 20baht.

You will need to shop around for the best quality, some taste of chemicals and some taste chalky and some are variable.

The 20litre bottles are a bit bulky but you can get a holder/pourer for 120 baht.

I was buying the large translucent plastic jugs of water. I pour a couple of large pitchers full and keep them in the refrigerator. One day I took off the plastic seal, poured the pitchers full and noticed something in the water. It was mosquito larvae swimming around. Since then I went to Tesco Lotus and bought a filter. It has a sediment filter a charcoal filter and then a ceramic filter. I have been using it for about a year now and have had no problems.