Assuming that I've already cleared the necessary hurdles to purchase land in Thailand, what percentage of the asking price do I offer? Or maybe a better question is what percentage of the asking price should I be paying? How does this work? in the US, I made an offer on my house, they counter-offered, and I accepted. Is it similar in Thailand?

Is rent negotiable? 30+30 lease? Is there real estate that's not listed on websites, or at least English websites, that's cheaper?

Assuming that I've already cleared the necessary hurdles to purchase land in Thailand, what percentage of the asking price do I offer?  Or maybe a better question is what percentage of the asking price should I be paying?  How does this work?  in the US, I made an offer on my house, they counter-offered, and I accepted.  Is it similar in Thailand?

Is rent negotiable?  30+30 lease?  Is there real estate that's not listed on websites, or at least English websites, that's cheaper?

Difficult one to answer, some just plainly want to rip you off, some will want to sell at a very reasonable price, you need to know what the locals pay in that area and not listen to the hearsay and bullshit. Me and her indoors have just bought a 3 rai building plot (not rice field) in Udon-Thani, the seller did not know that a falang was buying. Asking price 600,000 Bt Mother in-law Say's 500,000 Bt agreed price 560,000 Bt, if I had shown my face I bet the asking price would have quadrupled :o . I can't give much info on the 30 year lease until I can get back to Thailand and talk to a lawyer so that me and the wife can set it up, She will own the land and then we want a 30 year lease with me or possibly me and her as joint lease holder.

Steve & Mem

What area of Thailand Are you looking to buy into, also rural or town make a big difference to price, I wanted close to town but not in it, I value me P&Q.

we are 10 to 15 minuets to town and also 10 to 15 minuets to Tescos, BTW 3 rai is far too much for me I only wanted between 1/2 and 1 rai but the wife insisted as it was a good price and reasonably good location.

I have just been told the 3 rai plot next to us is for sale but it is full of trees, I do have a picture of our land its at the end of a 30 house village just a few kilos past the ring road.

Steve & Mem

I'm looking for a similar situation, probably near Chiang Mai, but pricing will affect where I decide to settle in. I'd like to be 20 minutes or so outside of town, without too many neighbors close by. I'd also like to have some potential to expand the property, ie. pick up adjacant lots, as I'm able.

Looks like from what I'm finding online, your area might be a little easier on the wallet. Might be worth checking out. How's the weather?

I'm looking for a similar situation, probably near Chiang Mai, but pricing will affect where I decide to settle in.  I'd like to be 20 minutes or so outside of town, without too many neighbors close by.  I'd also like to have some potential to expand the property, ie. pick up adjacant lots, as I'm able. 

Looks like from what I'm finding online, your area might be a little easier on the wallet.  Might be worth checking out.  How's the weather?

I was going to post the pic's of the land we bought but it looks like we are not enabled, unless i am missing something, :o Anyway the weather here in the UK is crap but me and the Misses work here and we can;t get back to Thailand until December we think :D

Steve & Mem

I'm looking for a similar situation, probably near Chiang Mai, but pricing will affect where I decide to settle in.  I'd like to be 20 minutes or so outside of town, without too many neighbors close by.  I'd also like to have some potential to expand the property, ie. pick up adjacant lots, as I'm able. 

Looks like from what I'm finding online, your area might be a little easier on the wallet.  Might be worth checking out.  How's the weather?

I was going to post the pic's of the land we bought but it looks like we are not enabled, unless i am missing something, :o Anyway the weather here in the UK is crap but me and the Misses work here and we can;t get back to Thailand until December we think :D

Steve & Mem

I meant the weather in Udon Thani, but that's OK. I found a website that answered my question.

I can't give much info on the 30 year lease until I can get back to Thailand and talk to a lawyer so that me and the wife can set it up, She will own the land and then we want a 30 year lease with me or possibly me and her as joint lease holder.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but that is not possible. You will have to go the company route if you want to be really safe. Just know that a lot more is involved than your laywer will tell you. Start collecting info yourself so your are not unprepared.