Retirement Visa In Pattaya

wca01

Yesterday I took my number at 12.45 o'clock for a retirement visa. They started working at 1 pm and 5 minutes later I was back in my car.

About 1,5 minutes with the first officer, then 1 minute with the lady who took a photo and another 2 minutes with the supervisor. No questions asked, no proof of residence asked.

In Bangkok you will receive the passeport immediatly back, but in Pattaya you have to collect one day later. But no need to stand in line, because you get a "ready to collect card" from the supervisor in charge. Really good experience, like always at Pattaya immigration. WCA

Do you ever consider why immigration works and the rest of the police operation in Thailand looks like Mr. Bean is in charge? Obviously, when somebody wants it to work efficiently, it does. When nobody cares, it doesn't. It certainly has nothing to do with capability. You go into the Pattaya immigration office and the people look like they know what they are doing. Go down the road to the Jomtien police station and it is the Keystone cops. Guys writing with a pencil in a green book sitting in their T-shirts with numerous Thais dropping by to bring them their pizza and a coke to snack on while they write their hand written notes.

What do you mean by 'the lady who took a photo'? I got my third retirement extension (which I assume is what you're talking about, not a visa) last December, and nobody has ever taken a photo.

Other than that, my experience was much the same. Once I got to the head of the queue it was done and dusted in less than 10 minutes. Getting the ME re-entry permit the next day took longer, as the guy seemed to be on a go-slow, and he wanted a photocopy that they had never asked for in previous years.

Edited by Guderian

What do you mean by 'the lady who took a photo'? I got my third retirement extension (which I assume is what you're talking about, not a visa) last December, and nobody has ever taken a photo.

Other than that, my experience was much the same. Once I got to the head of the queue it was done and dusted in less than 10 minutes. Getting the ME re-entry permit the next day took longer, as the guy seemed to be on a go-slow, and he wanted a photocopy that they had never asked for in previous years.

I thought i didnt have to give him a photocopy last time , so i wasnt wrong !!!!

Could you please give the address, location or directions to get there from Carrfour. Thank you

It's in soi 5 Jomtien Beach Road. From Carrefour take a songthaew to Beach Road, then go down Beach Road to Walking Street, turn left at Walking Street and get off at the traffic lights. Cross the road to the line of songthaews waiting to go to Jomtien. Get in the one nearest the traffic lights and wait till it fills up (typically only a few minutes). Once you get to Jomtien Beach, look to the left and you will see the sois numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. Get off when you see soi 5, and pay 10 baht. Walk up soi 5 for about 100 metres and you will see the immigration office on the right.

To get back to Pattaya, return to Beach Road, cross over and take any songthaew that's passing. The majority will take you to Pattaya Klang (only 10 baht).

Hope this helps.

what is the actual retirement age required and what is the required documentation and of course bank balances required?

I just renewed my retirement visa in Jomtien today and they did take a "web cam" type photo immediately after I submitted my application.

This was my first renewal in Pattaya, the previous six were at Suan Plu, Bangkok. Some differences that I noticed in Pattaya:

1) I had to leave my passport overnight and can collect it the next day after 2 pm. In BKK I could renew my visa and re-entry permit in one day; not in Pattaya.

2) The reviewing officer wanted me to provide her with a copy of my apartment rental agrement when I returned to pick up my passpot. Never had to provide proof of residence in BKK.

3) Had to provide a bank balance letter even though I had a new US Embassy "Pension Verification" letter. Nevver had to have a bank + pension letter in BKK

Not a bad experience but a little more bureaucratic.

The photo is taken from the lady's computer webcam; probably you haven't realized.

I did a 90 day report on Soi 5 last week, in and out in minutes, never even filled in the "TM47" the immigration officer took it off me and said "no problem, we can help you with that"! (maybe they figured I looked kind of stupid?) :)

If only everywhere was as efficient and customer caring as here! - we can dream............. :D

If I arrive on a tourist visa , from the USA, can I apply for the long stay visa ? I'm over 50 and can show the 800,000 in the bank. I have a Thai condo in my name already. Whats the best way to get the retirement visa ?

Edited by how241

What visa are you talking about? I am pretty sure the only visa you can get from the US is a 90 day one. I have never heard of one good for 2 years. If so, please let me know!!!!

how241: best way to get the info is to head over to immigration and get the TM7 from them as well as the doc that states what is required. Very easy to follow...and the guy working the front desk (farang) is really helpful. You will have to convert your tourist visa first, then you can start gathering the paperwork. I just got back from Bangkok where I got the income verification letter, notarized, from the US embassy and will be at immigration on Tuesday to apply for my extension to my existing 90 day visa. P.S. you can make an appointment for the embassy visit on their internet site. Better than just walking in. Took me about 90 minutes to get it done.

i have never left my home for a retirement extension.

Good for you Naam, maybe you can tell us how you do .

฿

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, efficient system, unfortunately not suitable for everybody.

Edited by luckyluke

What visa are you talking about? I am pretty sure the only visa you can get from the US is a 90 day one. I have never heard of one good for 2 years. If so, please let me know!!!!

type O A visa Mulitple entry

leave thailand and return (border run) before the one year expiration date, get a second year free

i now have the money in thailand to renew here

but honestly i am not comfortable with the money in a thai bank

SCB already mislead me on a 6 month fund in 2 VERY unbusinesslike manners :)

the kind of bull you would never come across in a usa bank

if i would do it over i would just go back to the states

and get another OA M visa

easy as pie in new york 2 years in a row

175 dollars

in fact i am thinking about transferring my money out to the states now that the doallr is low but climbimg

BUT then maybe more bank bull to deal with and exchange rate loss and also might be red flag to usa fed govt who seems to be watching everyone and everything now

oh and we live in a very unstable govt with the king getting up there

what might happen to the baht and the economy???

my advice FWIW

dont bring your money to thailand

OR wait to see if the dollar hits 40 baht again!!!

there is a consistent lack of integrity and accountability on many levels of business and money

that being said i love the culture

to enjoy life here, it is better to avoid the headaches of the business and money angle

unless of course you have money to burn

but who does?

please feel free to disagree with any and all of the above

Edited by deejah

leave thailand and return (border run) before the one year expiration date, get a second year free

I disagree.

My retirement Visa expires on Feb 19 of each year. In 2008 I re-entered Thailand on Feb 14 and I was admitted until Feb 19, the experation of my 2007 Extension.

Sorry but in my personal experience there is no free year for retirement extension

i now have the money in thailand to renew here

but honestly i am not comfortable with the money in a thai bank

SCB already mislead me on a 6 month fund in 2 VERY unbusinesslike manners :)

the kind of bull you would never come across in a usa bank

if i would do it over i would just go back to the states

and get another OA M visa

easy as pie in new york 2 years in a row

175 dollars

in fact i am thinking about transferring my money out to the states now that the doallr is low but climbimg

BUT then maybe more bank bull to deal with and exchange rate loss and also might be red flag to usa fed govt who seems to be watching everyone and everything now

oh and we live in a very unstable govt with the king getting up there

what might happen to the baht and the economy???

my advice FWIW

dont bring your money to thailand

OR wait to see if the dollar hits 40 baht again!!!

there is a consistent lack of integrity and accountability on many levels of business and money

that being said i love the culture

to enjoy life here, it is better to avoid the headaches of the business and money angle

unless of course you have money to burn

but who does?

please feel free to disagree with any and all of the above

I am going the retirement visa (long stay) route. Only have to show 65k baht per month income and 5k baht in the bank. I leave my money in the states. Once it is here, good luck getting it out. I agree, not worth having all your money here....

I disagree.

My retirement Visa expires on Feb 19 of each year. In 2008 I re-entered Thailand on Feb 14 and I was admitted until Feb 19, the experation of my 2007 Extension.

Sorry but in my personal experience there is no free year for retirement extension

You are talking of an Extension of stay : expiration date does not change.

deejah was talking of an OA visa : 1 year everytime you enter Thailand.

I just renewed my retirement visa in Jomtien today and they did take a "web cam" type photo immediately after I submitted my application.

This was my first renewal in Pattaya, the previous six were at Suan Plu, Bangkok. Some differences that I noticed in Pattaya:

1) I had to leave my passport overnight and can collect it the next day after 2 pm. In BKK I could renew my visa and re-entry permit in one day; not in Pattaya.

2) The reviewing officer wanted me to provide her with a copy of my apartment rental agrement when I returned to pick up my passpot. Never had to provide proof of residence in BKK.

3) Had to provide a bank balance letter even though I had a new US Embassy "Pension Verification" letter. Nevver had to have a bank + pension letter in BKK

Not a bad experience but a little more bureaucratic.

I'm going to Bangkok next Friday for an "income verification" letter from the US Embassy. Is there any forms I can fill out ahead of time? Do I need to bring any proof of income (I have a pension and social security but no real documents to prove it)?

I also need some pages to be placed into my passport. Can I request this at the same time and wait while they do it?

Did you bring copies of your bank book to Pattaya immigration or can you just bring the bank book to show?

Thanks

Just need your passport. I recommend making an appointment. Here is a link: Link

I had them add pages also while I was there. You have to fill out a form there, where you state your income. Easy as pie. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on how busy they are.

I heard they are now asking for copies of your bank book for the past 3 months here in Pattaya. I head over there Tuesday and will also try to get a letter from the bank stating my balance...

Just need your passport. I recommend making an appointment. Here is a link: Link

I had them add pages also while I was there. You have to fill out a form there, where you state your income. Easy as pie. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on how busy they are.

I heard they are now asking for copies of your bank book for the past 3 months here in Pattaya. I head over there Tuesday and will also try to get a letter from the bank stating my balance...

Many thanks, especially on the heads up for an appointment. Does the US Ebassy require the bank statement info or are you saying just Pattaya immigration?

US Embassy requires nothing. As you have probably read on here already, rules change. Yesterday I heard from a couple who visited Pattaya immigration last week and for the first time, was required to submit copies of their bank passbook showing the last 3 months transactions. No biggie, just had to have the copies. They just walked across the parking lot, had them copied, then went back. So I am going to have the copies ready just in case. If anything interesting happens during my visit, I will report back! Good luck...

Get all your Royal Thai Police Immigration forms on-line from here.

The Royal Thai Police website shows all you officially have to do in each case. But remember that "Officially" is altered by local "Custom and practice" and "yesterday's rule changes". However, it is a good start.

I don't think that is what you are suppose to do with that 800k. I am pretty sure it has to season a bit...and be there for next years renewal?

Yes, you have to season the money by showing the money 2 months before and on the extension application date, but the account is also meant to show what money you SPEND in Thailand.

One year, my neighbour, who leaves 800,000 Baht untouched in a bank account, was initially refused his retirement extension, and he could not show where his daily expenses came from and accused him of working without a work permit and living off his wages. He showed them his ATM overseas withdrawal slips and they issued his Visa Extension.