Visa Extension Problem! Help Required Before Tomorrow!

I wish I knew the answer to this because I'm worrried, but hopefully someone here will...

We're 28 and 32 years old. English and Swedish Nationality.

We have been in Thailand for 8 months and fly out of the country every 30 days or 14 days via land as many do....

We were due to take a trip to Ranong on Saturday but on Friday night we were involved in a motorcycle accident and my girlfriend was badly injured and needed to be stitched up at hospital, and treatment everyday for the next 7 days. Anyway, we weren't able to travel on Saturday so went to Hua Hin Immigration instead on Saturday morning to try to get an extension (First question - Is this possible???). The immigration is open Monday to Friday so we will go there again tomorrow, Monday (as my girlfriend needs to stay in the area for hospital treatment).

Is it possible to get an extension on a 14 day visa?

Is there any way the cirmunstances will help the situation or is it completely business for the immigration?

What is the best and cheapest way to deal with this situation given that by tomorrow we will have overstayed 2 days each and need to get stamps...

Any help would be much appreciated because we're both very worried!!

Thanks for your help.

Your Girlfriend needs help from the hospital. A lot of the big hospitals have staff that deal with Immigration in cases like this. If not you need a medical certificate from the doctor.

Have a chat with the hospital and Immigration.

This is the rule that deals with her. It may even help you. If not you will have to do a border run and pay any overstay you may have.

2.25 In the case of medical

treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Your Girlfriend needs help from the hospital. A lot of the big hospitals have staff that deal with Immigration in cases like this. If not you need a medical certificate from the doctor.

This is the rule that deals with her. It may even help you. If not you will have to do a border run and pay any overstay you may have.

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Thanks a lot for the information mate, really appreciate that! Theres been a delay responding because we went to the hospital and they've written a note for both of us. Its in Thai but they say basically explains the situation and that we were both unable to travel. I saw the second reply to my question, hopefully the letter will get us both through, otherwise I'll take the trip alone no problems.

Really appreciate the detailed answers! I'll keep you both posted.

I would not count on this rule saving her from overstay.I recently spent 7 days in hospital due to auto accident.I obtained said certificate from the doctor and, presented myself to immigration in CM.I was told by several imm.officers I had overstayed 8 days and,being in hospital was no excuse.Had to pay,believe it or not.Have receipts to prove it,WOE IS ME! :)

It looks like you got it wrong, BLUEEYEDTHAI. The medical certificate is not intended to absolve you from paying an overstay fine; it is a supporting document to accompany your application for extension of stay. Unless this application is made before the expiration of your permission to stay your are liable to pay the overstay fine.

--

Maestro

I reiterate my thanks for the information...

However we must have been lucky, or caught the immigration on a good day because today when we went and began to tell them the reasons we were 2 days late, the officials said it was fine. No overstay would have to be paid because the office isn't open on a Saturday.

We just paid the 1900 Baht and got a new "permission to stay stamp". Only for 7 days, but it gives us time to go to the hospital daily for cleaning and then arrange travel.

Maybe it was because she had lots of cuts and brusies and bandages but they were very fair to us. Not seen this type of treatment at immigration before!!

Thanks for your help

Good news. Thanks for the update. Most Immigration Officers are quite fair and helpful.

You have 7 days to sort something out.

Cannot understand why you have been relying on Border Runs.

Why not get a Visa?

Tourist Visas have been free for the past year.