Use Of Thai Bank Atm Cards Abroad

Just wanted to throw a few bits of info out there, in case someone is interested in trying to get money out of Thailand:

I have an SCB Debit+ mastercard, marked "Electronic Use Only", name "Debit Plus" (you know the type.) Savings Passbook account.

Anyway, it worked fine in at least two countries that I've tried it:

Singapore: citibank ATM, Push-Pull ATM card reader, worked fine and showed my (converted) balance in SGD on the printed slip. Worked very quickly.

USA: no-name multi-network Push-Pull reader, ATM in an airport (Raleigh/Durham), first time I tried to withdraw, it sat there for a minute, then said denied. Was still waiting for luggage, so I tried a balance inquiry (on Savings account). Took a long time, but then spit out a slip with the converted balance in USD. Feeling bold, I tried again to withdraw, and this time it worked. Go figure?

Edited by neuf

I have used my SCB debit card in many countries,China,Malaysia,India,Israel,I think even Pakistan.

I have found that I have to use the country's main bank to work though,Bank Of China as an example.

Had my card swallowed by a machine in Malaysia the day before I flew home but that was not the main bank so I learnt from that

I have used my SCB debit card in many countries,China,Malaysia,India,Israel,I think even Pakistan.

I have found that I have to use the country's main bank to work though,Bank Of China as an example.

Had my card swallowed by a machine in Malaysia the day before I flew home but that was not the main bank so I learnt from that

I have 3 VISA elecronic from Bangkok Bank and all work well in the neighbour countires and also in European countries. ONly avoid small province banks which denie sometimes but all international banks are okay

I have 3 VISA elecronic from Bangkok Bank and all work well in the neighbour countires and also in European countries. ONly avoid small province banks which denie sometimes but all international banks are okay

Yes they do work OK. But what about fees and conversion rates. In most places the fees were very high and the conversion rates were not favorable at all. Worst were Australia and France.

What are the charges on the SCB side for use abroad? Any idea on the max. withdrawal? Thanks!

I think it depends on the country. It seems both The Thai bank and the foreign bank charge a fee. I now always use a credit card. If you cant get a Thai one, get one in your own country where your source of income comes from. It is no problem

how about kasikorn debit card?can i use them overseas?and how much are the charges?

Yes, I sent a kasikorn debit card to my ex wife in spain, and she can withdraw whatever I put on that account without problem. I believe the fee is about 3 euros a time.

For ATM withdrawals, these Thai bank Visa/MC based debit cards seem to work just fine anywhere in the world. The exchange rate can differ quite a bit and I find Kasikorn usually has the best rate in most countries. (Although the rate isn't that good so I wouldn't draw large amounts by any means.)

What you won't be able to do with these cards outside of Thailand is Point-Of-Sale (POS) and Internet credit/debit transactions as well. (Unless you have a Kasikorn Visa WebCard but still, you wouldn't have a real credit card in your possession) :)

• 1 month later...

After checking my statement, learned a couple pieces of info. (couldn't check in the US, I hadn't set up online banking yet)

1) SCB charges 100THB for making a withdrawal, and also for making an inquiry (so my use at the airport cost me 200THB!)

2) There isn't any additional percentage rate charged above the interbank rate in the US, or it's very small (given the +/-1 day due to timing, could be anywhere from 0.5%-1%) (as given by Oanda, at least)

2.5) ... however, in Singapore (fee of 100THB also charged here) there was a discrepancy of about 2% between the interbank rate and what I saw on my statement.

3) US banks are charging around $2.50 per withdrawal these days...

• 1 year later...

Yes, I sent a kasikorn debit card to my ex wife in spain, and she can withdraw whatever I put on that account without problem. I believe the fee is about 3 euros a time.

Why would you send your "ex" wife a debit card? lol