Pension Plus Thai Bank Retirement Visa

I will be applying for retirement visa 2010

I want to make sure I can combine pension in this case (Social Sercurity USA) and money in Thai bank

To either meet 65,000 a month OR 800,000

Example: Monthly pension income of 40,000 baht plus 25,000 x 12 months in Thai bank=65,000 monthly income

Example: 500,000 yearly income from pension + 300,000 in Thai bank = 800,000

I can go either way -correct??

Also I need--

Letter from USA embassy confirming Social Security income and Thai bank statement-correct??

Thanks for any help

Social Security statement stating monthly pension income and Thai bank statement--correct??

Your basically correct, except allow for Immigration Officer using the lowest conversion rate in the past few months to figure the Baht equivalent of your declared pension income.

Since your declaration to the U.S. Embassy or Consular officer is to the amount of your pension income stream, and you can back if up if asked, rarely done, you can include income from CD's, etc.

You will need the usual bank letter plus your declaration to to U.S. Official to qualify for the combined approach. You should take your bank book as well showing the amount on deposit that matches the bank letter amount without subsequent withdrawals to the date of application.

The US Embassy seems happy to give their citizens the necessary paperwork to support their retirement visa application.

However, an Australian friend had no such joy from his Embassy, and after words were exchanged, and he questioned the parentage of the senior offical who was denying him this paperwork, he was frog-marched out of the Embassy by security!!

How true the above is, I have no way of confirming. Any other Australian national had this problem? :)

LB - Phitsanulok Immigration Office, recently opened, require a letter from your bank stating the most up to date exchange rate to accompany your income letter from the embassy.

Happened to a good friend recently, he showed the rate from the Thai Rath newspaper!!!.

"No good, must have letter from your bank" being the reponse.

He had to drive into the city to find a branch of BB and ask for them to produce a letter.

The new provincial offices have some strange requirements, but as it was explained to him and Hhis wife, as he was applying for marriage extension we must make sure everything in order before sending off to Imm HQ.

When I renewed last year using the combined method I took along letter from bank, a printed statement and I downloaded the current exchange rate from Bangkok Bank on the morning of application. The IO appreciated this and I made sure they used the correct rate i.e for bank transfer and not cash.

I just got my "retirement" visa. Went to US embassy in BKK. I filled out a form saying what I made (I think I said 80,000B or something like that). A lady asked me if the information was correct? I said yes, she signed it. I got a letter from my bank. You only need to have 5,000B in your account if you are a US citizen. It was easy as pie. No 800,000B for 3 months. I handed in copies of my bank book, passport, photos, etc. and was done in about an hour. Here in Pattaya, you get your visa the next day. At that time, I applied for a multi-entry visa.

Don't forget the 90 day reporting requirement. Has to be done every 90 days (or less!) from when you enter the kingdom....not when you get your visa.

1. There is no such thing as a multi entry visa issued by Immigration. You get extensions of stay and re-entry permits from them.

2. The is no requirement for any bank account for any nationality by Immigration regulations if income is 65k or more per month. If you were required to have an account it was a local requirement of that specific office.

3. First application for extension of stay is a 90 day report so is the starting date for the 90 day count.

I just got my "retirement" visa. Went to US embassy in BKK. I filled out a form saying what I made (I think I said 80,000B or something like that). A lady asked me if the information was correct? I said yes, she signed it. I got a letter from my bank. You only need to have 5,000B in your account if you are a US citizen. It was easy as pie. No 800,000B for 3 months. I handed in copies of my bank book, passport, photos, etc. and was done in about an hour. Here in Pattaya, you get your visa the next day. At that time, I applied for a multi-entry visa.

Don't forget the 90 day reporting requirement. Has to be done every 90 days (or less!) from when you enter the kingdom....not when you get your visa.

Don,t forget the 7 days flexibility either side of your 90 days due date re a 1 year retirement visa, it comes in very handy.

Not to be mixed up with the 1 year multi entry for those who may not be aware of the facility.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

The US Embassy seems happy to give their citizens the necessary paperwork to support their retirement visa application.

However, an Australian friend had no such joy from his Embassy, and after words were exchanged, and he questioned the parentage of the senior offical who was denying him this paperwork, he was frog-marched out of the Embassy by security!!

How true the above is, I have no way of confirming. Any other Australian national had this problem? :)

Australian embassy always helpful. Just completed my 3rd annual visa extension. Have pension from Australia, completed a "Stat Dec" to that effect ,no problem. Using a Stat Dec can cover a number of things , all you are doing is having what you "say" verified

1. There is no such thing as a multi entry visa issued by Immigration. You get extensions of stay and re-entry permits from them.

2. The is no requirement for any bank account for any nationality by Immigration regulations if income is 65k or more per month. If you were required to have an account it was a local requirement of that specific office.

3. First application for extension of stay is a 90 day report so is the starting date for the 90 day count.

I completely agree with Lop on number 2 above. I made the mistake of bringing in a letter and bank book two years running and it caused me more questions from the IO. Finally I asked the officer if I needed the bank book/statement if I showed the more than 65k on the letter and she said, "letter is enough" "no need book".

This is good enough for me so now I only use the letter showing the 65k plus amount.

I completely agree with Lop on number 2 above. I made the mistake of bringing in a letter and bank book two years running and it caused me more questions from the IO. Finally I asked the officer if I needed the bank book/statement if I showed the more than 65k on the letter and she said, "letter is enough" "no need book".

This is good enough for me so now I only use the letter showing the 65k plus amount.

Yes. Do not confuse things by providing too much information.

1. Sorry...but I think the point was understood...

2. It is sure a requirement here.

3. Not true here in Pattaya. 90 days from date of entry. Extension of stay has nothing to do with the 90 day count. But I do remember them saying something about 7 days on either side. Reporting desk and extension of stay desk are two separate operations.

What do you mean USA citizen only has to have 5000 baht in Bank. So I can say whatever I want about my income to USA embassy and they will sign it ??? why no 800,000

3. Not true here in Pattaya. 90 days from date of entry. Extension of stay has nothing to do with the 90 day count. But I do remember them saying something about 7 days on either side. Reporting desk and extension of stay desk are two separate operations.

The first application for 12 month extension counts as a ninety day report.

From Immigration Website

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days-

Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

4. The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.

5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

What do you mean USA citizen only has to have 5000 baht in Bank. So I can say whatever I want about my income to USA embassy and they will sign it ??? why no 800,000

As lopburi3 has posted many times, each office has different rules...and those change frequently...and sometimes seems to be at the discretion of the officer! But I am reading the fact sheet I got from Pattaya immigration now. Says a letter from your embassy showing income of 65k Baht or more per month and 5k Baht in a bank...with a letter from the bank stating the balance and a copy of the passbook showing the past 3 months. Does not say it is only for USA citizens. It is just that the US embassy does not make you show paperwork to prove your 65k Baht/month. It is your word and you certify it in front of an embassy official. So if you are caught lying, you have broken a law and can be prosecuted...but that is highly unlikely...fortunately!

The first application for 12 month extension counts as a ninety day report.

From Immigration Website

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days-

Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

4. The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.

5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Again, as lopburi3 has stated many times, different offices have different procedures. I was spoken to about this for 15 minutes by the farang helper at the immigration office. Says people mess this up all the time...especially since the rule has changed. They are SEPARATE desks. Just because you extend does NOT mean you have reported. It use to, but no more. Trust me...I was just there and was lectured about this for some time...even shown the separate desk where the 90 day reporting is done. I am sure what you say is true for other areas, but not here in Pattaya....

The first report using a TM.47 at the other desk should be due 90 days after you make your first extension of stay (if you do not leave the country).

The problem is that many will expect that each time that they make an extension of stay it will be counted as a report and that is not true and is what causes problems.

The first report using a TM.47 at the other desk should be due 90 days after you make your first extension of stay (if you do not leave the country).

The problem is that many will expect that each time that they make an extension of stay it will be counted as a report and that is not true and is what causes problems.

No. Honestly, the guy looked at my paperwork and told me to be back before March 9th. I arrived this past December 10th. He said people make that mistake all the time. The two desks are different. One does extensions and another separate desk does the 90 day reporting. So, just because you got an extension, as I had done, you STILL had to come back for your 90 day reporting. It's a Pattaya thing and I guess a fairly new procedure?????

Like I said, I spent 15-20 minutes talking with this guy as I was waiting for my extension....he is the farang that stands at the front door and provides info.

OK, 800 k baht as a combination of income and money in the bank coming from abroad for a ret visa extension.

1. Income 700 k baht. 100 k In the bank. Do they mean the balance in the bank on the day I apply ?

2. For instance. Income according to embassy letter 700 k. In the 12 months before applying I brought into the Thai bankaccount, from abroad, 600 k (for living). Bankletter etc. OK ?

I think it is 1) but am not sure.

Unfortunately, immigrants with a pension in euro now lose about 10%......

OK, 800 k baht as a combination of income and money in the bank coming from abroad for a ret visa extension.

1. Income 700 k baht. 100 k In the bank. Do they mean the balance in the bank on the day I apply ?

2. For instance. Income according to embassy letter 700 k. In the 12 months before applying I brought into the Thai bankaccount, from abroad, 600 k (for living). Bankletter etc. OK ?

I think it is 1) but am not sure.

Unfortunately, immigrants with a pension in euro now lose about 10%......

Your income as verified by your Embassy plus the bank balance must add up to 800,000 Baht.

So if your income adds up to 700,000 Baht.

The money in the Thai bank must be 100,000 Baht on the day you apply.

This is the rule.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application