Red Shirts Plan To Paralyse Bangkok, Topple Thai Government

webfact

It's not going to work as planned.

The Abhisit government is legit and decent. There's no real groundswell against him and his administration.

What planet are you from? He was brought to power by a military coup and then by the yellow shirts taking over the airport and totaly destroying the Thai economy! You call that legit and decent? what country are you from?? lol

I get a bit sick of correcting these posts with some actual FACTS.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that the red shirts seem to look upon the past under Thaksin rule as being so good....It is a bit like remarrying your ex wife because you forgot all her faults....

Under Thaksin, Thailand felt more like we were under a dictatorship. Meaning he wakes up in the morning with a goofy idea, and it is law by the afternoon. Endless corruption, killing three thousand drug dealers who were competing with the police, and on and on.

<snip>

Well, I'm a non-Thai, so maybe I see things differently than you. I first came to Thailand in the U.S. Army when Thailand was under a real dictator; Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn. I cam back after I retired and I've lived here continuously since Pa Prem was Prime Minister. You are certainly right that Thaksin was an authoritarian, and probably wanted to become a dictator. Certainly some bad things happened while he was in power; you mention the deaths of 2,500 people who were killed during his "War on Drugs," but remember that was wildly popular at the time.

You say you are amazed that the Red Shirts remember life under Thaksin as being so good. I think it works this way: If you earn 15,000 baht a month or less, you feel you benefited from Thaksin; If you earn 20,000 to 50,000 baht a month you probably feel Thaksin robbed the country but you weren't hurt by it; If you earn/receive more than 100,000 baht a month you probably despise Thaksin and revile him as the destroyer of the country.

UPDATE

Long-distance order from London to stir up trouble

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday claimed that a political group set up its command centre in London to stir up trouble coinciding with the red-shirt rally.

"Targets for disturbance include Siriraj Hospital, Rajvithi Hospital and Islamic mosques located in Bangkok," he said.

Chalerm did not give the details of the group nor its plans but said the planned disturbances would be blamed on the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I am amazed that the red shirts seem to look upon the past under Thaksin rule as being so good....It is a bit like remarrying your ex wife because you forgot all her faults....

Under Thaksin, Thailand felt more like we were under a dictatorship. Meaning he wakes up in the morning with a goofy idea, and it is law by the afternoon. Endless corruption, killing three thousand drug dealers who were competing with the police, and on and on.

As to the people who speak of him as a formerly elected and proper representative of the people, with the endless blatant vote buying that goes on, that is a mockery as well. Let's see, 30 million people times 500 baht per vote equals 1.5 billion baht, almost exactly what was skimmed off by the airport scanner scandal ALONE. So that means in essence there is no democracy here. Not sure what the answer is, but the current system sure is broken.

Did a lookup on Wikipedia about Thaksin. It seems there is a long family history of using the government to fleece the people........And what is up with a Chinese guy running a Thai country? I do know if he somehow stages a miracle comeback, I am OUTTA here...

Thaksin's great-great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu was a Hakka Chinese immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Sae Khu, was born in 1890 and married a Thai woman, Saeng Somna. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra ("does good routinely") in 1938, and the rest of the family followed suit.

Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong. In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai.

Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tax farming was originally a Roman practice whereby the burden of tax collection was reassigned by the Roman State to private individuals or groups. In essence, these individuals or groups paid the taxes for a certain area and for a certain period of time and then attempted to cover their outlay by collecting money or salable goods from the people within that area

1) He's Thai. He was born in Thailand. His father was born in Thailand. His grand-father was (probably) born in Thailand. Where do you want to draw the line?

2) Tax farming: Sounds like he learnt to rip of the poor farmers from an early age.

Chinese families or more aptly clans think in terms of several generations,

and gauge their power plans in those terms. By the likes of Thaksins grandfather

He did very good for awhile, but moved too fast and lost it for his branch,

still the whole clan moved forward.

In terms for his great-grandfather, his fathers generation moved things forward evenly.

Regardless of if 3 generation were born IN Thailand, their long term view is that of a

Chinese family clan, moving ahead into steadily into power and prosperity. Long term acquisition.

This makes many chinese clans very successful in Thailand and has also fomented both ties

with the upper levels of Thai society, and driven of resentments of and from the lower levels

of Thai social structures. Thaksin maybe Thai on some levels, but he operates in the classic Chinese way,

melded with some modern contrivances, that also stepped on the feet of many Chinese leaders in Thailand

as well as leaving a trail of the ripped off, and singed fingers of those daring to ride besides or with

his economic tiger for a spell. His out look wasn't like dads or grand dads, but way too short term,

something went wrong and he lost the family way. Certainly Oak will not be the prodigal returned,

one of the daughters may become matriarch since there's no other choice.

Most of Thaksins worst, most implacable, and strongest enemies, Thaksin made HIMSELF!

As he has sown, so has he reaped, and now he continues to sow seeds of despair for so many.

False hope for far too many red shirts, and chimeras of profit sharing / making for his control lever minions.

Edited by animatic

Probably this is a stupid question but there is one thing I cannot understand, or maybe I am missing something. There is a lot of talk about the Reds needing to create violence in order to topple the government as this should lead to a new Coupe.

However is this line of thinking correct considering:

1) It was the police and the army in the first place who threw out the Red's government. Why would they want to risk another Coupe and bring back the government they wanted to kick out in the first place?

2) Given that it is well known that this government is backed by the elites, again, how could violence possibly trigger another coupe?

3) If the Red's instigate Violence like they did on Black Songkran, why would the government collapse for trying to control a situation? If each time violent riots world-wide made a government collapse if the government responded to control the crowd, then the world would be in a much sadder state than it is?

I guess the answer is within the country so as a Farang I consider myself quite ignorant in their way of thinking. Perhaps someone could illuminate me?

The army wasn't concerned when the yellow shirts took the airport hostage for over a week, so they probably won't be concerned now. Unless they have double standards, of course.

Actually the army seemed extremely concerned about the PAD airport take over.

Just not enough to storm the airport to take it back, because of the potential damage to infrastructure.

But I guess that doesn't fit in with Red Sentiments and rose colored memories.

&lt;deleted&gt;??? What did you see then that leads you to believe, "the army seemed extremely concerned about the PAD airport take over."? I saw them refuse to help the police set up road blocks to prevent food, water, and weapons from being delivered to the insurrectionists in the airport. Indeed, I saw them refuse to send reinforcements to help police when PAD goons attacked one road-block and drove the police out. I certainly have not seen, since then, any desire expressed by Army spokesmen to punish the leaders of the PAD (which includes some high ranking Army officers and the current Foreign Minister of Thailand) for either the airport takeover or the nine month occupation of Government House. I infer that the Army was quite pleased to have the PAD bring the country to a stand-still while Thaksin's political allies were in charge of the government.

Probably this is a stupid question but there is one thing I cannot understand, or maybe I am missing something. There is a lot of talk about the Reds needing to create violence in order to topple the government as this should lead to a new Coupe.

However is this line of thinking correct considering:

1) It was the police and the army in the first place who threw out the Red's government. Why would they want to risk another Coupe and bring back the government they wanted to kick out in the first place?

2) Given that it is well known that this government is backed by the elites, again, how could violence possibly trigger another coupe?

3) If the Red's instigate Violence like they did on Black Songkran, why would the government collapse for trying to control a situation? If each time violent riots world-wide made a government collapse if the government responded to control the crowd, then the world would be in a much sadder state than it is?

I guess the answer is within the country so as a Farang I consider myself quite ignorant in their way of thinking. Perhaps someone could illuminate me?

Some people think that there are Thaksin supporters within the police and army that will support a coup.

IMO, it's being handled correctly by the government. The army just needs to control itself, and make sure if the violence starts then it doesn't get out of control.

Thaksin is urging his supporters to join the demonstration in BKK.

Cited in Bangkok Post

"There are news that people in Bangkok are scared of flooding and if they're really scared they should bring me back home," Thaksin said. "Tell the Bangkokians that when I'm back, I'll build a dam to prevent flooding in the capital and it will be the most beautiful dam in the world."

I'm really in doubts now whether this guy is still mentally okay?!

Years ago he also promised to solve the traffic problems in BKK lol

:)

Yes Thaksin did indeed say this. He was joking...and those present laughed along with him at the joke.....but as always in politics the "opposition" will use any

remark made in jest to discredit their target. Remember the big flap when Ronald Reagan was recorded saying...."OK..we start bombing in 10 minutes" ...

did anyone really think he was serious and that he was going to order the bombing of Russia??? No of course not but the left wing media had a field day with it!!!

On another occasion after he had been shot and was on the operating table surrounded by surgeons--he looked up and said " I hope you guys are all republicans"

The media even tried to twist that around. Having even the slightest tendency to humour is dangerous in politics it seems.

First rule of a joke is that it should actually be funny.

Ronald Reagan's comment was funny and showed he was at his wits even during distress.

Thaksin's is just boring and nonsensical.

Yes I agree....but jokes appeal to some and not others how ever good the jokes might be. Second: Regan was funny..yes. so how come the opposition media were soooo

outraged. Third: Thaksin may be boring and nonsensical to some (obviously) but a great many others do no find him that way at all.....and he does crack jokes quite frequently which are taken up and waved like trophies by his detractors......

I have seen him misquoted many times and statements taken completely out of context right here on good ol TV.....(which for the most part just regurgitate what people read

in papers) Really not much in the way of original thought or opinion on here when it comes to Thaksin. or Redshirts icon1.gif

That is the nature of politics----misinformation---disinformation----hype----and of course good old outright lies

The health care program has saved untold thousands of lives, and the PAD hates it.

No, it hasn't and no they don't.

However it has put a financial strain on many government hospitals and made a lot of doctors either go to the private sector or prescribe paracetamol for serious illness since there is no found or expectancy or repayment/payment. If the program was a success then this would not have happened. Even some pro-red here has stated that the program was severely flawed, but not before they pointed out that the program wasn't Thaksin's personal brainchild... :)

People up-country have more now than they did before Thaksin, and they know the PAD and the Democrats want to take it away from them.

Eh, no, they don't.

If PAD is a part of the middle class and above, and therefor often owners business owners, one thing that a business owner likes is customers that has money that can afford the merchandise sold.

You live in some dream world if you think anyone wishes to see the farmers become more poor etc.

Reds plan to paralyse BKK, topple govt : sources

Really? Reads to me more like the Red Shirts are planning a massive non-violent protest on Friday, and bringing along 5,000 trained guards to ensure it remains non-violent.

Why would ThaiVisa purposely lie and try and try to scare all of its members?

8 Pages 1 2 3 > »
694 User(s) are reading this topic (546 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

Oh, ok, I see now.

Reputation has become worse than a free sleazy tabloid though. Hope it was worth it.

Reds plan to paralyse BKK, topple govt : sources

Really? Reads to me more like the Red Shirts are planning a massive non-violent protest on Friday, and bringing along 5,000 trained guards to ensure it remains non-violent.

Why would ThaiVisa purposely lie and try and try to scare all of its members?

8 Pages 1 2 3 > »
694 User(s) are reading this topic (546 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

Oh, ok, I see now.

Reputation has become worse than a free sleazy tabloid though. Hope it was worth it.

LOL ... yeah it has nothing to do at all with what the leadership of the Reds has said publicly any times!

UPDATE

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung on Tuesday claimed that a political group set up its command centre in London to stir up trouble coinciding with the red-shirt rally.

"Targets for disturbance include Siriraj Hospital, Rajvithi Hospital and Islamic mosques located in Bangkok," he said.

Chalerm did not give the details of the group nor its plans but said the planned disturbances would be blamed on the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-09

What the hel_l is a story like this?

No, it wasn't. PPP was dissolved by the courts for election fraud.

And the police is partly, very much proclaimed highly by some Pro-Red here, to be more Red than anything else.

Which would explain why they failed to do much against them on several occasions and the military was brought in. The police only ever tried to do anything against the PAD and that left several civilians dead from excessive force. The military's resolve against the Red shirts left no Red dead. The Red did kill some bystanders however...

The Abhisit government is legit and decent. There's no real groundswell against him and his administration.

What planet are you from? He was brought to power by a military coup and then by the yellow shirts taking over the airport and totaly destroying the Thai economy! You call that legit and decent? what country are you from?? lol

For the sake of those all too quick to resort to personal attacks and flaming, when it is obvious they are not fully aware of the argument, I will post these facts. If anyone disputes any of these then please post evidence supporting your claim: Links are given where necessary, other points are covered by http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?action=cw_search&l=1&t=1&cw_country=106&cw_date= , which gives a day by day account of events.

1. There have been elections since the coup.

2. In those elections, more people voted against the PPP than for the PPP. The PPP gained the most seats, but the Democrats got the most votes for any single party.

3. The party that came a distant third, the CTP was indeed a member of Thaksin's coalition government following the 2005 elections. However, the CTP joined the Democrats in boycotting the 2006 elections, and, prior to the 2007 elections, its leader, Banharn, gave every indication that he would not form a coalition with the PPP. The people had no reason to believe a vote for the CTP was a vote for the PP/Thaksin.

4. The election commission ruled that the PPP, and two of its coalition partners, including the CTP were guilty of vote buying and dissolved them. It also banned these parties executives from politics for five years.

5. Non executive members of the three dissolved parties were given 60 days to join a new one. Many joined the new incarnation of the PPP, the PTP, others joined other newly formed parties, such as the BJT and Chart Thai Pattana.

6. Following this shuffling of MP's, talks were held as to who would form the next coalition. This was entirely legal without the necessity of holding new elections. In fact,a precedent had been set by Thaksin himself when he resigned from his cabinet position in the Banharn coalition and joined the opposition, along with four other PDP MP's, in 1996: "Thaksin joined the government of Banharn Silpa-acha and was appointed Deputy Prime Minister in charge of Bangkok traffic. In May 1996, Thaksin and 4 other PDP ministers quit the Banharn Cabinet (while retaining their MP seats) to protest widespread allegations of corruption, prompting a Cabinet reshuffle. Many have claimed that Thaksin's move was designed to help give Chamlong Srimuang a boost in the June 1996 Bangkok Governor elections, which Chamlong returned from retirement to contest". http://www.paktribune.com/news/print.php?id=154757

7. The Democrats were able to form a coalition government and did so. They had the backing of the majority of the legally elected MP's, and are the legally elected government of Thailand. Even if the PTP had have ended up with 49% of the seats, there is nothing it could legally do should the other parties form a coalition against it.

8. Since then, coalition parties have won most of the by-elections held to replace banned MP's, including seats previously held by the PPP.

Apologies for continuing this off topic discussion, but hopefully these facts will see an end to the continued posting of misbeliefs, untruths and downright lies.

(Edited to fix fonts and line spacings)

Edited by ballpoint

UPDATE

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-09

He is trying to spread doubts. 'Reasonable doubt' in-case any trouble arises and they lose the battle.

I do however hope that if there is violence and they SUCCEED in bringing down the government that they clearly step away and say 'no, we didn't do this, it was infiltrators, we do not wish the government to fall from these actions that was not ours' and they lay no claim on the power. Fair, right?

UPDATE

It's a story that both sides can use to say whatever they want and can blame the others for and to stir up more trouble.

How can any sensible readers of your post believe you claims about what woould happen in Thaksin tried to go to US. We have seen hundreds of outrageous claims of having classified information only to see all the claims about Thaksin's extradition, passport and visas were false. Only a fool should believe these kinds of claims coming from someone hiding under the cloak of anonymity.

Absurd on its face.

Ummm Thaksin might indeed be held for awhile before being shipped out ignominously if he tried to enter the US.

What do we know? Thaksin's Business visa was revoked for the UK. Thaksin has more than one passport. Extradition from the UK was discussed but never formally asked for. Thaksin has permission to stay in Dubai as long as he does not foment unrest in Thailand (looks as if he has been doing that but his wording has been crafty enough to avoid getting tossed out on his ear so far).

I believe that the UAE (particularly Dubai) would tell him to leave before kicking him out and that Thaksin is at risk right now for that very thing for meeting with people that ARE fomenting unrest in Thailand.

AT Online is reasonably reputable.

Thaksin's jokes are often in poor taste, according to Theptai, one of the Democrat's spokesmen, Thaksin mentioned that a sick person on the free medical scheme offered to be a suicide bomber if it would help him.

I suppose it satisfies some egos to think people are misguided enough to die for you, and then boast about it,

He is trying to spread doubts. 'Reasonable doubt' in-case any trouble arises and they lose the battle.

I do however hope that if there is violence and they SUCCEED in bringing down the government that they clearly step away and say 'no, we didn't do this, it was infiltrators, we do not wish the government to fall from these actions that was not ours' and they lay no claim on the power. Fair, right?

I know what he is trying to do, the point being if he burped it might make more of a genuine story. I know who he is insinuating did this, but under the law of Thailand he can't name a name. Without a name though, it isn't a story, so it shouldn't be in the news.

The bloody media in this country will be as responsible for insuring that Thai comes to fight Thai this weekend as anyone else.

The red-shirt movement, in its last ditch effort to topple Abhisit Vejjajiva's government

So do you think the red shirts will stop after this weekend?

i seriously doubt it

Right. this 'last ditch' stuff is silly and/or an attempt by Nation writers to use Eng.lang idioms here and there. The only 'last ditch' is when Thaksin turns off the money spigot.

Until then, all these shenanigans for Red Shirts is a way for them to get some easy money coming in (or a whole lot of money, if you're one of their leaders).

If I were willing to pay 300 baht per head, I could get 1,000 locals to go out and rally to support earthworm rights to burrow under crop circles.

By the way, why aren't there any crop circles in Thailand? Rice paddies make excellent venue to that. Another way to attract tourists! Take note, TAT. note to self: get 1.5 meter long 2X6 with rope handles ready for late night secret crop circle fabrication.

Perfect. I needed a little humor after today's BS. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we will know a very important lesson in our life during march 12-14.

we will know if money actually matters.

i really want to see what a man can do when he just lost billions and still have many billions to do.

red win = money talk problem walk

yellow win = .................

You say you are amazed that the Red Shirts remember life under Thaksin as being so good. I think it works this way: If you earn 15,000 baht a month or less, you feel you benefited from Thaksin; If you earn 20,000 to 50,000 baht a month you probably feel Thaksin robbed the country but you weren't hurt by it; If you earn/receive more than 100,000 baht a month you probably despise Thaksin and revile him as the destroyer of the country.

A truly great post that sums it up better then I have ever see. Now, at what income bracket does the Thai Income Tax start? And making 100k a month does not make you an elite, it makes you middle class and they are the key to Thailand's future.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Well let's take a look.

- Perhaps you would rather see a very corrupt dictator, who abuses his authority for personal gain, changes laws for this own benefit, who stifles all discussion, intimidates and sues evrybody, promotes family members to high ranking positions in the military and police, in one case one of his family members jumped 5 ranks in one 'promotion', loans Thai taxpayers money to the Burmese thug generals so that they can buy products from his company, murders people at will (last count at least 2,500 fellow Thais), emotionally manipulates the poor so that they will vote for him (with money changing hands), arranges for his children to get contracts for work they cannot perform, etc.

- Airport stuff 'totally destoyed the Thai economy', well that's just a little over the top.

The army wasn't concerned when the yellow shirts took the airport hostage for over a week, so they probably won't be concerned now. Unless they have double standards, of course.

You were very concerned when the PAD took over the airport, but you don't seem to be concerned about the Red Shirts doing the same thing, what kind of double standard is this?

"Reds plan to paralyse BKK, topple govt : sources"

Maybe I'm heading toward senility, but I have read the quoted article from 'The Nation' several times and could not see the above statement anywhere. Or reference to it! Please be so kind to direct me to what is obviously an oversight on my part and put my feeble mind to rest. I don't want to venture into sensitive areas such as 'sabre rattling’,’ scare mongering’ and 'good copy’, there are far more competent persons at this than I will ever (or want to) be!

YOS

The crux of the matter is that most red shirts that attend will have been paid to attend. Unlike the yellow shirts where it was moral/ethical/democratic stand by those with education (you can count doctors, lawyers and government employees among them). These yellow shirts attended because they believed in the cause and not because they were paid. They attended because they hated the downright corruption of Taksin and his attempt to smother the freedom of the press with threats and lawsuits. Taksin went too far.

Most educated people I know in Bangkok abhor the whol redshirt thing. These people are not necessarily rich; you can include students and teachers from working class backgrounds here who don't have alot of money and are not the Bangkok 'elite'. Anyone who has completed secondary school education who can think clearly and can see what has happened so far hates the red shirt cause. This is about Taksins money and his wish to maintain grip on power and money; nothing to do with democracy.

Taksin is deluded if he thinks he can beat the army and military; these institutions are behind the government as are the people we can't talk about. How can he win? The military have had plenty of practice on how do things 'legally'. Just wait and see.

Bangkok doomed?

I think i have heard that a few times on this forum,it will not happen,there seems to be more propaganda on thai visa than any other madia outlets. :D

/quote]

It makes Goebbels look like an amateur.

No sign of the tropical storm either after the source of that bit of news had been exposed. And the weaponry "stolen" from the barracks !!

We'll be asked to subscribe to an sms for advice on what to do if it's found the moon is made of cheese next. :)

caf

Thaksin is urging his supporters to join the demonstration in BKK.

Cited in Bangkok Post

"There are news that people in Bangkok are scared of flooding and if they're really scared they should bring me back home," Thaksin said. "Tell the Bangkokians that when I'm back, I'll build a dam to prevent flooding in the capital and it will be the most beautiful dam in the world."

I'm really in doubts now whether this guy is still mentally okay?!

Years ago he also promised to solve the traffic problems in BKK lol

Yes Thaksin did indeed say this. He was joking...and those present laughed along with him at the joke.....but as always in politics the "opposition" will use any

remark made in jest to discredit their target. Remember the big flap when Ronald Reagan was recorded saying...."OK..we start bombing in 10 minutes" ...

did anyone really think he was serious and that he was going to order the bombing of Russia??? No of course not but the left wing media had a field day with it!!!

On another occasion after he had been shot and was on the operating table surrounded by surgeons--he looked up and said " I hope you guys are all republicans"

The media even tried to twist that around. Having even the slightest tendency to humour is dangerous in politics it seems.

Interesting take on it ... that this is all just a joke. But isn't there a real project, to build a dam across the bay, for flood-prevention ? Perhaps Thaksin could find someone, a family-member with recent experience of large-contracts for concrete-work, to assist him ? Just 'joking' ! :D