Red Shirts Plan To Paralyse Bangkok, Topple Thai Government

webfact

No it would probably not silence them , I agree .

But it will make his government legitimate , fair or not .

Oh. lets get past this legitimate government thing. There have been enough posts EXPLAINING why it is a legitimate government. Blame the courts for barring a party where the executives were proven to have been involved in buying votes, but that doesn't make the government illigitimate.

And he will have more negotiating power and support in the international community .

Can you point to ANYWHERE that he doesn't have support? oh ... besides Cambodia and probably Burma.

But before all that the constitution should be amanded first , if not its a never ending story .

The right amendments and people should be moved forward , and some over the top manipulators on

both sides should be moved backwards with some kind of deal and assurances .

The right amendments ... deals and assurances ?? What, so that Thaksin can get all his money back?

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not going to work as planned.

Ok, maybe a bunch of people will show up, but the existing government will be fine after the dust settles. Have there been reports of payments for attending?

The Abhisit government is legit and decent. There's no real groundswell against him and his administration. It's another last-ditch and desperate means for an extremely selfish man to try and put his hands back on big money and absolute power.

I see the OP photo of Thaksin with the words "Thailand needs change" He's trying to copy Obama's success with that line. Yes, Thailand needs change, it needs to get good people in leadership roles, and get away from the ugly patterns of having people like Thaksin in the driver's seat. Thailand needs to change being so tolerable to treasonous people like Thaksin. It needs to change being so forgiving to Thaksin's puppets, like Sae Daeng, who toss explosives here and there.

The sooner Thailand changes from being harassed from Thaksin and his followers, the sooner Thailand can get moving forward to improving quality of life and cleaning up the environment and doing the many other things that have been put off because of the incessant hassling from Thaksin and his paid intimidators.

Yes there will be payments for participating. The money will come from the "square faced man" along with his wealthy cohorts. The going rate for a red shirt is Baht 500.00 / day

well it seems to me with all these supposed plans it would be easy for the military to put a stop to a lot of it block the acess roads with their own trucks and tanks block the assembly areas and the demonstrations area the same with trucks tanks and what ever.

Let them walk into Bangkok they would all be too tired to demonstrate. Violence can be avoided if someone would use their head. And while they are walking check for wepons, explosives etc.

How to paralyze such a large city? By Stopping food and water getting in?

everything over 150 000 is critical mass. Easy to paralyze the city.

in case of one million, hmm concentrated in key areas, is the end for Bangkok.

I personally expect not more than 30 000 but amongst them lots of undercover violence which are not red at all, but yellow. If the government fails to indict the yellow leaders within days the city will be doomed.

Err......methinks you are reading a different script......this weekend is going to be a lot more Avatar than Alice, IMO.

Brewsta

The abhisit government is legit?

So you mean to say his party won the last elections, and that they did not get to power because yellow shirts blocked the airport, to dispose of the elected government?

No-one won the last election, hence the need for a coalition government.

The PPP was dissolved after proven election fraud.

All the remaining MPs (that former several new parties!) and other parties of the parliament now did what they are supposed to do, try to form another coalition government. And they did.

I do not understand the actions of the red shirts (nor did I understand the actions of the yellow), is it just me, or are some democratic policies getting lost in translation here?

For example, the right to protest....brilliant, that's how things got done in the west, but paralyzing and airport and a capital city? way to slash the worth off your economy.

The 'aristocrat-backed government' - errr,,,,name a developed country where the government is not aristocrat-backed???

And this whole Taksin ordeal.. Using this power to obtain wealth.... I thought that's what most people in governments all around the world do?

I nearly agreed 100% with your post ... until I got to the very last sentence.

Most governments in the world obtain wealth for the country, not the PM personally.

really? heard of a guy called blair?

The Abhisit government is legit and decent.

"legal" in what sense. Was he demcratically elected? Was the removal of Taksin the democratic way to rid a govt administration?

Thaksin was the *Caretaker* PM because he couldn't form a government. He was removed from power by a coup partly because he was trying to change the laws so he could become (full) PM without having new elections.

Coups are NOT democratic. But we have moved on from that and had more elections.

The PPP got the most votes (or MPs) but not a majority. They had to form a coalition with smaller parties (some of which had campaigned saying that they would not form coalition with the PPP, but did anyway - some people suggest payment, but I don't know).

The PPP got disbanded because the executives were convicted by the *courts* of buying votes.

The Democrats then formed a coalition with the smaller parties to form government.

Please tell me what is not legitimate about that?

Edited by anotherpeter

Most governments in the world obtain wealth for the country, not the PM personally.

I didn't realize he walked away from being PM of Britain with billions of dollars.

Edited by anotherpeter

Ok, I have a problem with the comment about "The Abhist government is legit and decent". First, it's not "legit". They were NOT elected by the people of Thailand in an election, and assumed power after PAD and their buddies in the military succeeded to removing the LEGITITIMATELY elected governments by any and every means possible. I'm not a fan of Thaksin, but I'm even less of a fan of Generals who refuse to act FOR the government and think they ARE the government, and can do whatever they please.

After the coupe, General Sondi told the international news media: "We had to have a coupe because we couldn't find any way to democratically remove him (Thaksin)". Yeah, that's a real good reason.

Also after the coupe, Sondhi, during a speech at a U.S. University, stated the coupe was necessary because the elite of BKK were losing their power and wanted it back. Yeah, that's another real good reason, right?

As for his corruption, I find it somewhat amusing that Transparency International now rates Thailand as even MORE corrupt since the coupe than it was during Thaksin's administration. Hope the mods will grant me a little leeway here for discussing what might be considered "old topics", but I felt it was necessary to point a few things out.

As for what's going to happen now? There are enough theories going around to have a contest to see which one is the most popular. While everyone remembers what happened last year at the ASEAN Summit, and Songkran, since then the Reds have stuck to their promises of peaceful demonstrations. And I think, for the most part, they will strive to maintain peace this time as well.

However, there are too many other "factors" and "factions" that would love to cause problems which could then be blamed on the Reds, which could include PAD dressed in red, Blue Shirts dressed in red, certain military personnel dressed in red, etc., etc. And there are some factions of Reds who do want, and advocate violence, although I don't believe that is the wants of the majority. Either way, it's going to get very interesting over the next week, but I hope and pray, for all of Thailand, that violence doesn't break out, because I have a feeling that if it does, it will be like a forest fire that has gone out of control.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

this time if the red shirts start their non peaceful antics in lard prao like last time, I suspect there are going to be a few beatings and the odd one might suffer some pain - Bangkokians, particularly the poorer Bangkokians didn't take this red shirt <deleted> lying down last time....this time it could be a bit messier.

If we consider the lies and bulls&*t that the red shirts came out with last time; lies of a massacre that they've subsequently pretty much admitted they made up, lies of fake red shirts going and lighting a tanker, buses; lies of being peaceful....

80% women... what a joke....the red shirts include in their ranks paid thuggish mobs of taxi drivers and most of the exact people you'd really want to not run into on a dark night....bring it on losers you've attempted to hold the economy to ransom for a year and you are obviously not remotely interested in removing double standards (you want to create your own double standard where your beloved idiot leader gets away with corruption and cheating in elections). You are, in short, a bunch of knobs.

This time I'm pumped on Twisted Sister and I've tipped my 40 to my homies and I got a few caps to pump in someone's ass. I am straight outta compton.

Or something to that effect.

I wonder whether most red shirts can even spell paralyse. They probably think it is some sort of insect causing an itchy scalp.

Yes sir, Steve's tha man,

hits the mark every time.

Compton is a bit far off though! :)

If the Thaksin puppet party had formed a coalition to elect a PM in the last election, we wouldn't be hearing any whining about it being illegitimate. That kind of proves that argument is total BS. Abhisit didn't effect a coup. He came later. Under the current system he is most definitely as legit as any PM would be now.

Regardless of what the leaders of this march say about non- violent intentions, whenever you get a large body of people in a small area it will take very little provocation for the whole thing to turn nasty. I think the TV scaremongering is a little over the top and any trouble will be limited to the areas where the protestors are gathering.

That said, I will be taking a day off on Friday and driving up to Mahasarakham for the weekend just to keep away from what is going to be a very bad traffic weekend.

Whatever the merits of Red/Yellow/Blue factions, I hope for Thailand's sake that things do not erupt this weekend and that the cooler heads prevail....must admit that I am not very confident that this will be the case.

I was around during the black May in 1992, had to jump from the little famous bridge to safety after bullets were fired into the crowd by the army, I could hear the sounds of bullets flying close by my head. It started quickly with provocation, but was not a small area, it spread out into all of Bangkok. I was there in the hotel when it was stormed by the army and two youngster got shot because of allegedly having molotov cocktails while the BBC filmed the army gasoline truck, full with 6000l, being pushed into the tax revenue building just hours before the slaughter of the two young men which was opposite of the hotel. At the same hotel was also the field hospital.

But what was and is the most interesting when comparing with today and PAD is of who was there. Sondhi, his managers from the manager spreading lies to heat up the whole thing, Chamlong as the conductor, just a few to mention.

so tell me ... I did my homework ... do yours and search about ... connect the dots ... and eventually you will see through.

PS: the whole crowd numbered about 60000 that night when it began.

Edited by elcent

I didn't realize he walked away from being PM of Britain with billions of dollars.

he spent 12 years overseeing the economic collapse of the entire nation while feathering his nest for a post-politics career in consultancy earning himself millions. his government earned no wealth at all for the country while he made sure he was alright for his retirement thanks jack. what a guy.

Great, a mass exodus of the Beverly Hillbillies invade Bangkok in farm trucks, chicken wagons and the like.

Ma: "Did you take care of those old brakes like I told you to?"

Somchai: "Yes, Ma, I pulled them off the truck yesterday. The new brakes should be coming in the mail next week." :)

Ok, I have a problem with the comment about "The Abhist government is legit and decent". First, it's not "legit". They were NOT elected by the people of Thailand in an election, and assumed power after PAD and their buddies in the military succeeded to removing the LEGITITIMATELY elected governments by any and every means possible. I'm not a fan of Thaksin, but I'm even less of a fan of Generals who refuse to act FOR the government and think they ARE the government, and can do whatever they please.

After the coupe, General Sondi told the international news media: "We had to have a coupe because we couldn't find any way to democratically remove him (Thaksin)". Yeah, that's a real good reason.

Also after the coupe, Sondhi, during a speech at a U.S. University, stated the coupe was necessary because the elite of BKK were losing their power and wanted it back. Yeah, that's another real good reason, right?

As for his corruption, I find it somewhat amusing that Transparency International now rates Thailand as even MORE corrupt since the coupe than it was during Thaksin's administration. Hope the mods will grant me a little leeway here for discussing what might be considered "old topics", but I felt it was necessary to point a few things out.

As for what's going to happen now? There are enough theories going around to have a contest to see which one is the most popular. While everyone remembers what happened last year at the ASEAN Summit, and Songkran, since then the Reds have stuck to their promises of peaceful demonstrations. And I think, for the most part, they will strive to maintain peace this time as well.

However, there are too many other "factors" and "factions" that would love to cause problems which could then be blamed on the Reds, which could include PAD dressed in red, Blue Shirts dressed in red, certain military personnel dressed in red, etc., etc. And there are some factions of Reds who do want, and advocate violence, although I don't believe that is the wants of the majority. Either way, it's going to get very interesting over the next week, but I hope and pray, for all of Thailand, that violence doesn't break out, because I have a feeling that if it does, it will be like a forest fire that has gone out of control.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

It's very easy to start blaming others for the violence that might happen. There are going to be 3000 or so "red security guards" with the protestors, so hopefully, they can control anyone (what ever colour they may be underneath their red shirts) that resorts to violence.

Ok, I have a problem with the comment about "The Abhist government is legit and decent". First, it's not "legit". They were NOT elected by the people of Thailand in an election, and assumed power after PAD and their buddies in the military succeeded to removing the LEGITITIMATELY elected governments by any and every means possible.

I am just curious since you seem to know so much. You say the military removed the previous government "by any and every means possible." OK, specifically, what were the "any and every means possible"?

09032226.jpg

Where are we now ?

a pretty funny chart. Levels one to four describe the activities of the security apparatus. Then level 5 says- chaos!. Riots!

Read correctly, this chart would suggest that the final level is one in which the security forces run amok.

In fact of course, this chart is nothing more than a political cartoon- pointing out that the trajetory that leads from veering away from the norm will be chaos--- and if you don't believe that- look at the point on the trajetory we are already occupying. Actually, pretty brilliant in a kind of ultra conservative way.

Edited by blaze

I don't think they really have a coherent plan. Rather they are taking another giant crap shoot. If they don't succeed in their Thaksin revolutionaries goals, then we can expect them to keep trying "final pushes" until they run out of steam and/or money. Meanwhile, the entire country is held hostage to these troublemakers.

he spent 12 years overseeing the economic collapse of the entire nation while feathering his nest for a post-politics career in consultancy earning himself millions. his government earned no wealth at all for the country while he made sure he was alright for his retirement thanks jack. what a guy.

I won't discuss how bad a PM he was ... we aren't discussing UK politics.

"feathering his nest for a post-politics career" ... so he made a few contacts so he could make money *after* he left politics. Normal for all politicians. They don't usually make enough money while being a politician to retire. That is a lot different to making billions of dollars *while* you are PM.

The initial post from "The Nation" was nothing but yellow jounalism at it's best. I never ceased to be amazed with the lack of balanced, factual reporting by the newspapers in Thailand. The article contains little in the way of information, just claims by unnamed sources of possible violence. It's sole purpose is to excite the passions of the readers.

The passions by posters seem to be at a high level as well. The arguments on both sides seem to be all about passion and less about reason. Everyone has taken sides and there is little room for discussion.

The current leaders of the government are concerned first and foremost with their positions and holding on to power. This whole matter could be ended tomarrow if the government were to call for elections at some reasonable point in the future. The problem is they want to stay in power and are afraid of it being lost so there is no room for talk with the opposition. Whether or not anyone likes it the disenfranchised will continue to simmer and one day will eventually boil over and that could bring real violence not this petty stuff being blamed on them now by some. It is easy to place blame when there are no facts to support the accusations. If and when the people feel hopeless and they really feel the government does not represent them, the masses from the countryside will overwhelm the "elite" in Bangkok. If people don't feel their lives are getting better there will be trouble. The way things are going it is probably not a matter of IF but WHEN in the future this will happen.

Edited by Trouble

09032226.jpg

Where are we now ?

a pretty funny chart. Levels one to four describe the activities of the security apparatus. Then level 5 says- chaos!. Riots!

Read correctly, this chart would suggest that the final level is one in which the security forces run amok.

In fact of course, this chart is nothing more than a political cartoon- pointing out that the trajetory that leads from veering away from the norm will be chaos--- and if you don't believe that- look at the point on the trajetory we are already occupying. Actually, pretty brilliant in a kind of ultra conservative way.

I see that Seh Daeng has been "unaccountably" released on bail-smiling the thai smile as usual. This from his wikipedia entry may explain things (my emphases):

Khattiya Sawasdipol (born June 2, 1951 at Ratchaburi Province ) (Thai: พลตรี ดร.ขัตติยะ สวัสดิผล), alias Seh Daeng (เสธ.แดง), is a major general in the Royal Thai Army, assigned to the Internal Security Operations Command. He claims to have helped the United States spy on North Vietnam during the Vietnam War, and to have taken part in the CIA-financed "Secret War" against the communists in the Plain of Jars, in Laos. Khattiya disguised himself as a Muslim in order to infiltrate rebel groups in Aceh Indonesia.

Uncouth to waltz out of No.10 wih wads of cash, but be sure he was due a jackpot in his WorldStage games thereafter.....guaranteed IMO...

BillyOnAir Brewsta :)

Another thread of circular arguments where most people again ignore the fact that this is Thailand and thus the government should be a reflection of what the Thai people want. The fact that some of you farang are taking sides is somewhat embarrassing (as a farang). Thailand has lived with corruption from day one. It's living with corruption now. The yellows and the reds are fighting for power, not democracy. They both used the same propagandist tools when in power. Thaksin's corruption is basically irrelevant because it's the nature of the game here in Thailand. The army, however, decides who gets to dole out the cake in the end. It wouldn't surprise me if they took control again this weekend. They are the controlling political force in Thailand... not the MPs and not the electorate.

After all (and I am not a Thaksin supporter), if Thakin's policies were all so horrible in the eyes of the Thais, and if democracy had been allowed to run its proper course... he should have been ousted in the next election. Corruption is moot, every election has vote buying on all sides, and every government fills its pockets (often directly from state coffers). And since Thaksin was "running the country into ruin" that natural course would have been preferable. Instead we got a yellow plague, and then a coup, and a reactionist red plague.

Personally, I don't see a happy solution for all of this. I hope I'm wrong... but I certainly do not see a right side or a wrong side the way Thais look at things. For me, sure, it's easy... enforce the rule of law, build a strong constitution, and take power away from the military to enforce it's own political agenda. I don't think any of those things will happen while I'm here (and I'm not planning on leaving soon). So, in the meantime... let's just hope for some peace and relative stability. Let the elections commence and the next round of crooks get into office, and throw them out so that the next group gets their chance.

As for you rabid PDA supporters. If rule of law were enforced, those guys would be up on the docket side by side with the Thaksin rabble. If you think either color has something to offer in terms of progress or democracy in Thailand, you are seriously deluded. And what's with you guys ignoring the airport problem? As for the Reds... yes, it's true that Thaksin had populist policies that benefitted the poor (short term), but despite his heart-felt speeches about loving the poor and trying to protect them, he never spent a baht of his own money to help them. He spent government money on them as a political tool to gain their support. I have yet to see any evidence of him doing anything humanitarian or socially constructive with his own wealth.

I am sorry for you people in Bangkok who have to endure the epicenter of all this silliness... but it too shall pass (eventually). Meanwhile, up in the North we are enjoying the benefits of SEA rural planning. Everything is on fire, the air is filthy, and my neighbors decided it's a good time to start burning their trash instead of walking it to the corner.

PM: Govt ready to handle UDD mass rally

BANGKOK (NNT) -– Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has stressed the readiness of the government to handle demonstrations of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

Prime Minister Abhisit confirmed that the government would be able to put the situation under control although there would be many hundred thousands of UDD supporters joining the rallies. He promised that no violent methods would be implemented to suppress the protests since police officers would not carry weapons.

The prime minister stated that only the Internal Security Act would be necessary based on initial evaluation. He said at present there was no need for the Emergency Decree, a new government house or special public holidays.

Prime Minister Abhisit added that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would be responsible for clarifying the situation to other countries. The premier voiced concerns over a loss of lives but he said he did not fear the protests despite him being included in a UDD blacklist.

The prime minister also asked officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to work closely with the military and police. The BMA will be a main unit facilitating the traffic as well as clarifying and seeking cooperation from the people.

The anti-government UDD supporters in other provinces will assemble on 12 March 2010 before traveling to the capital Bangkok to join the group's mass gathering on 14 March 2010.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The current leaders of the government are concerned first and foremost with their positions and holding on to power. This whole matter could be ended tomarrow if the government were to call for elections at some reasonable point in the future. The problem is they want to stay in power and are afraid of it being lost so there is no room for talk with the opposition. Whether or not anyone likes it the disenfranchised will continue to simmer and one day will eventually boil over and that could bring real violence not this petty stuff being blamed on them now by some. It is easy to place blame when there are no facts to support the accusations. If and when the people feel hopeless and they really feel the government does not represent them, the masses from the countryside will overwhelm the "elite" in Bangkok. If people don't feel their lives are getting better there will be trouble. The way things are going it is probably not a matter of IF but WHEN in the future this will happen.

There are elections due towards the end of 2011. Is that reasonable?

It's a bit hard to negotiate with the opposition when (nearly) all they want to do is bring back Thaksin and give him all his money back.

There were plenty of facts of real violence during the ASEAN summit and the Songkran riots. (Yes ... facts of yellow shirt violence before that too.)

The problem with the "masses from the countryside" and who represents them is that the leaders of the reds are more interested in Thaksin than the masses. Thaskin was doing a lot of buying off of the masses, and not really much constructive for the long term. He did bring in some reasonable policies to support the poor (30 baht health care), but many others were just hand outs which made him popular.

Edited by anotherpeter

The initial post from "The Nation" was nothing but yellow jounalism at it's best. I never ceased to be amazed with the lack of balanced, factual reporting by the newspapers in Thailand. The article contains little in the way of information, just claims by unnamed sources of possible violence. It's sole purpose is to excite the passions of the readers.

The passions by posters seem to be at a high level as well. The arguments on both sides seem to be all about passion and less about reason. Everyone has taken sides and there is little room for discussion.

They are definitely on a yellow-dog-contract (wiki). The Nation was the only media that continued reporting with A4 sized newspaper in 1992 though, for fairness sake, but you're right it was for yellow journalism too.

Problem is however that the people with a red heart will be used to shoot on their own, and a great number will just follow orders, soldiers are in general lacking commons sense, they have no clue how to decide for themselves what is good and what is wrong. if you belong to a big powerful army or to the winners your are right, if you are on the side of the losers you may well be accused of crimes only than.

Hahaha spot on!! nothing else to worry about but the closing time of the bar. At least we can share a laugh about all the activity this weekend.....if they will not change their path and move to Pattaya again.

A guy walks in to a bar and orders a double vodka on the rocks....so the bartender gave him one......

Cheers,

David

never mind all of us in pattaya will carry on as we always do because nothing affects us anyway apart from the one thing we fear above all else----------------bar closing time !!

No it would probably not silence them , I agree .

But it will make his government legitimate , fair or not .

Oh. lets get past this legitimate government thing. There have been enough posts EXPLAINING why it is a legitimate government. Blame the courts for barring a party where the executives were proven to have been involved in buying votes, but that doesn't make the government illigitimate.

And he will have more negotiating power and support in the international community .

Can you point to ANYWHERE that he doesn't have support? oh ... besides Cambodia and probably Burma.

But before all that the constitution should be amanded first , if not its a never ending story .

The right amendments and people should be moved forward , and some over the top manipulators on

both sides should be moved backwards with some kind of deal and assurances .

The right amendments ... deals and assurances ?? What, so that Thaksin can get all his money back?

Don't think you understand me correctly what I meant with manipulators on both sides , I don't say he should get his money back , leave that to the judiciary . I try to talk between the lines , which you most likely did't get .

There are many more powers behind the scene , again on both sides which I choose better not talk about .

When those get assurances of succceeding etc and the other side perhaps keeping his money and to shut up for good ,

perhaps all can get to normal , get my drift ?

If one thinks all is just about mr T and his money , red shirts and yellow shirts , does not understand the real complexes and difficulties Thailand is having . So think twice before you rant any more posts as you just did ....

Edited by tijnebijn