Visa Run Requirements: Non-o Vs. Non-b

Assuming that you have a work permit, is there any difference between a non-O (marriage) and a non-B visa in terms of having to make visa runs?

With a non-O (marriage) visa, the maximum stay is 90 days before you have to leave the country. Is that correct?

Do they make people working in Thailand on a non-B visa leave the country every 90 days, too?

Finally, you apply for a work permit AFTER arriving in Thailand on your non-O or non-B visa, correct?

You apply for work permit in Thailand at the labour office, once you have an employer. The WP is only valid for working at the employer mentioned in the work permit.

For the duration of stay it will not matter if you have a non-O or non-B, nor for getting a work permit. It does matter for getting an extension of stay from immigration.

An extension based on marriage requires an income of 40,000 OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand. Based on work it will require an income of 50,000 (for most nationals of western countries, requirement is based on nationality). For teachers and a few more professions there is no minimum income requirement. For the extension based on work also the employer has to meet certain conditions.

You apply for work permit in Thailand at the labour office, once you have an employer. The WP is only valid for working at the employer mentioned in the work permit.

For the duration of stay it will not matter if you have a non-O or non-B, nor for getting a work permit. It does matter for getting an extension of stay from immigration.

An extension based on marriage requires an income of 40,000 OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand. Based on work it will require an income of 50,000 (for most nationals of western countries, requirement is based on nationality). For teachers and a few more professions there is no minimum income requirement. For the extension based on work also the employer has to meet certain conditions.

Is it 40k or 400k? Sorry not sure if you are saying income is based on nationality or bank account or both. And since nationality seems to make no sense if talking baht ... i have to assume this is just the "Thai Way"

Based on marriage:

if based on income: 40,000 mont. Can come from abroad.

if based on money in the bank: 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand for at least 2 months.

Based on employment:

Immigration wants to see a minimum income, the hight of the income the want to see before they grant an extension based on work depends on your nationality.

Based on marriage:

if based on income: 40,000 mont. Can come from abroad.

if based on money in the bank: 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand for at least 2 months.

Based on employment:

Immigration wants to see a minimum income, the hight of the income the want to see before they grant an extension based on work depends on your nationality.

When you are granted an extension, does that automatically include multiple entries? Or does it depend on the visa that you originally arrived on?

The reason I ask:

The cost of a 1 year MULTIPLE entry Non-O has gone up to US$175.

Could I get a 90 day SINGLE entry Non-O before I leave (US$65), and then get an extension when I arrive based on my US income using a letter from my US employer showing that I make well above the limits stated above? (I will be employed by my US employer continuously--I am not quitting.)

I would just use my Thai salary as evidence, except that I will be arriving on May 6 and my Thai job doesn't start until June 1. I have to leave Thailand on May 13 for a week. So under this scenario, I would apply for the extension immediately after I arrived using a letter from my US employer. But I am obviously assuming that the extension would add multiple entries.

How long does it take to get the extension? An hour? Days?

Edited by moto77

If you want to travel abroad and keep your permission to stay you will need to buy a re-entry permit at the immigraiton office where you did your extension.

Cost is 1,000 baht for a single and 3,800 for a multiple. A re-entry permit is valid for as long as your permission to stay is valid.

Take a pass photo with you.

Edit:

You can travel to Thailand on a single entry non-O and than apply for an extension of stay based on having a Thai wife. In your case, you will need a letter from your embassy confirming your income.

In your case a multiple entry is the best, or come on a visa exempt entry and apply for the non-O after May 13. You don't have to apply in your home country.

You can not leave Thailand while on an extension of stay without it ending unless you obtain a re-entry permit first. 1,000 baht each travel or 3,800 baht for multi.

You can not use your US income to obtain an extension of stay for employment in Thailand.

You can not leave Thailand while on an extension of stay without it ending unless you obtain a re-entry permit first. 1,000 baht each travel or 3,800 baht for multi.

Is this true without regard to whether your current (valid) non-O or non-B visa is single or multi?

You can not use your US income to obtain an extension of stay for employment in Thailand.

Hmm... we seem to have conflicting information on this one.

So you CANNOT use foreign income to extend your stay? The income must come from Thailand?

Is this true without regard to whether your current (valid) non-O or non-B visa is single or multi?

Hmm... we seem to have conflicting information on this one.

So you CANNOT use foreign income to extend your stay? The income must come from Thailand?

If based on Employment Yes.

If based on Retirement or Marriage No

Your post seemed to indicate you would use the income for employment based extension when I read it. Sorry. It could be used for marriage based but will require Embassy letter and full marriage paperwork.

You are either here on an extension of stay or a visa entry. You can not use the visa (for a 90 day entry) without losing the extension of stay. So if you intend to extend within the first 3 months it makes no sense to buy a multi entry visa.

Your post seemed to indicate you would use the income for employment based extension when I read it. Sorry. It could be used for marriage based but will require Embassy letter and full marriage paperwork.

You are either here on an extension of stay or a visa entry. You can not use the visa (for a 90 day entry) without losing the extension of stay. So if you intend to extend within the first 3 months it makes no sense to buy a multi entry visa.

Thank you this is extremely helpful.

Well, I would only have one stay that would be longer than 90 days. So based on this information, I think it would be best to pay $175 to get the multiple entry visa and then just make one visa run rather than go to the trouble of getting extensions. Maybe next year when the Visa is getting ready to expire, I could apply for an extension.

A few more questions:

1. Can a person on a visa waiver apply for a non-O (marriage) inside Thailand (I think the answer is no, but just want to verify).

2. Can a non-O visa be extended outside Thailand? Or would I have to return to Thailand before it expires?

3. If I extend a non-O visa, and pay for a re-entry, how long can I leave before re-entering.

(The point of these questions is this: I will be in Thailand every year between May-August (with some re-entries during that time). I may be back at other times, but it is possible that when I leave in August, that I will not be back until the following May. I am wondering if I could extend a non-O visa in August, and then return eight months later, picking up where I left off. OR could I extend it outside Thailand just before it expires.)

Edited by moto77

1. Yes, but you would have to do so with at least 21 days left on your permission to stay and might have to go to Bangkok for the change. Most other immigration offices will not do it and send you to Bangkok.

2. No. Outside Thailand you can only get a new visa. Inside Thailand you can only get an extension of stay. For an extension of stay you have to be in the country.

3. If you have a re-entry permit you can leave as long as you want, but have to come back to Thailand before your permission to stay expires. If you don't, you will have to apply for a new visa abroad and with that once in Thailand go for a new extension of stay.

If you travel a lot and don't stay longer than 90 days at one time, the multiple non-O is a better alternative. No need to go to immigration, just come and go as you please provided you don't stay longer than 90 days.

1. Yes, but you would have to do so with at least 21 days left on your permission to stay and might have to go to Bangkok for the change. Most other immigration offices will not do it and send you to Bangkok.

Wow! Great. We spend the summer in Bangkok anyway. So I would fly over, stamp in for 30 days, and apply for a Non-O visa in Bangkok during the first week?

Is there any difference in the price if you get it in BKK? As I mentioned, it's $175 now in the US, plus two way overnight mailing costs.

Inside Thailand you can only get an extension of stay.

Unless you apply for a visa with 21 days left on your visa waiver permission as described above?

Edited by moto77

Wow! Great. We spend the summer in Bangkok anyway. So I would fly over, stamp in for 30 days, and apply for a Non-O visa in Bangkok during the first week?

Is there any difference in the price if you get it in BKK? As I mentioned, it's $175 now in the US, plus two way overnight mailing costs.

You can only convert from 30 day visa free stamp to non immigrant-O status if you qualify for a 1 year extension. So can only do if you are married and have proof of income of over 40,000 Baht (embassy letter needed if income from overseas, would need to get this letter in your first week, not sure on cost, depends on your embassy), or you have 400,000 Baht in Thai bank fro 2 months prior to your application.

Then you go and change to non immigrant O status (costs 2,000 Baht). Then you pay for the 1 year extension (cost 1,900 Baht), and then if needed you buy a multiple re-entry permit (cost 3,800 Baht).

So without the cost of the embassy letter you are looking at 7,700 Baht or already over 230 US$! But you would not need to leave Thailand every 90 days if you don't want, unlike with a multiple entry visa, where each entry cannot be longer then 90 days!

Inside Thailand you can only get an extension of stay.

Unless you apply for a visa with 21 days left on your visa waiver permission as described above?

You do not apply for a visa! Rather you change your "visa status" to non immigrant O and then in one go extend your stay...As described above, this only works in conjunction with an extension, for which you need to meet the criteria!

You may have problems boarding your flight without being in possession of either a visa or an airline ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to meet Thai immigration requirements. Would suggest, therefore, you obtain single entry Non-O visa from consulate in your own country before travelling. That will give you a 90 day permission to stay on entry, and during the last 30 days of that permission to stay you can apply directly for your extension of stay based on marriage to Thai. The advantage of this route is that it removes potential airline problems and also avoids the need to go through a 2 step process from visa exempt entry to Non-O visa to extemnsion of stay as Monty details in his post above. The cost of obtaining single entry Non-O visa is roughly the same as paying the conversion fee (2,000 baht) and saves you time in the process.

1. As said you may not get on the aircraft without some kind of visa if you do not have onward tickets within 30 days.

2. Do not believe conversion requires 2 months in bank account - but actual extension of stay will; if using the bank account method.

I have a ticket to Cambodia a week after I arrive, so no problem there--though this has never been an issue in the past.

Looks like the best deal is to buy the visa in advance anyway, then. Thanks to all that responded.

Should I wait to apply for the visa until closer to the time I leave in order to get the longest time possible, or will they make it valid on the day that I tell them that I plan to leave?

The visa will be dated the day it is issued. Single entry Non-O visa will be valid for 90 days from the date of issue. As long as you enter the Kingdom before the expiry date of the visa you will get 90 day permission to stay on arrival. Personally would apply 10-14 days before departing, but check consulate turnaround times.

The visa will be dated the day it is issued. Single entry Non-O visa will be valid for 90 days from the date of issue. As long as you enter the Kingdom before the expiry date of the visa you will get 90 day permission to stay on arrival. Personally would apply 10-14 days before departing, but check consulate turnaround times.

Thanks again!