Red Shirt Protest Increases Blood Donations

webfact

Red shirt protest increases blood donations

BANGKOK: -- The widely criticized blood collection and splashing ceremony by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) earlier this week has had an unexpected benefit, with the Thai Red Cross saying donations of blood for medical use has increased “significantly” in the last few days.

Dr. Soisaang Phikulsod, director of the Thai Red Cross Society National Blood Centre, said blood was usually in short supply at this time of the year – the dry season and summer school break.

However, after seeing thousands of “red-shirt” protesters of all ages roll up their sleeves and donate 10cc of blood each in their fight for democracy, blood donations across the country “have increased by a surprising amount”.

Dr. Soisaang said that while the red-shirts were donating blood, the Red Cross was receiving telephone calls from people expressing their regret that thousands of liters of blood was going to be wasted by being poured at Government House, the Democrat Party headquarters and at the home of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and offering to donate blood to the Red Cross.

According to Dr. Soisaang, “some people who used to donate blood but hadn’t for some time became inspired watching the red-shirt protesters donate and have now donated again, while other people who have never donated before have made their first donation”.

Thailand leads Asia in the amount of blood collected without offering incentives and about 1,600 units are usually on hand for daily surgical use and a further 1,000 units stored for emergency use during major holidays and the current protest rally.

With Songkran just a few weeks away, Dr. Soisaang said the additional spurt of donors was most welcome, as more blood is usually needed due to the increased number of road accidents over the holiday period as large numbers of people return home to spend New Year with relatives in the provinces.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2010-03-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Interesting how action at a protest can trigger related responses, though perhaps not surprising when you figure that a protest, by definition, is done to garner attention (by media and others) and responses.

Let's flip that on its side and propose another scenario. Suppose Red protesters were shown on TV picking up their trash and putting it in bins. The, perhaps, segments of the general public might get inspired to do the same. The result? Less trash in parks, after public gatherings/concerts, and less litter along roads throughout Thailand. Ok, naive thought. ....dream on BB.

Yes great that people are donating to The Red Cross and regarding the litter problem, yes well I see everything thrown out of windows and they say that is ok,. However same same throughout most of the World and people just do not care.

However in some Countries. like the UK one can get fined for dropping litter and they have litter patrols would you believe

Let's flip that on its side and propose another scenario. Suppose Red protesters were shown on TV picking up their trash and putting it in bins.

Funny you should put it that way.

Just yesterday, I was thinking that if this were to happen in New York City one of the daily fishwrap newspapers would make the big story the amount of litter the demonstrators leave behind and how much $$ it is going to cost to clean it up.

Yes at least SOME public good has come of this.

Good on everyone who gives blood so others can live.

I wonder how long before Thaksin tries to take credit for it... :)

Hey congratulations, you got Thaksin's name on the thread by the 5th post. :D:D:D:D

However in some Countries. like the UK one can get fined for dropping litter and they have litter patrols would you believe

Ever tried dropping a cigarette or scrap of paper outside Imperial Queens Park on Sukhumvit. :)

Ever tried dropping a cigarette or scrap of paper outside Imperial Queens Park on Sukhumvit. :)

funny I just saw a guy getting stopped yesterday for dropping a cigarette in front of this park. I was wondering if this was some sort of scams... are they real policemen?

Now there's a thing. I was saying to my Wife (a Thai Lady) how I felt that the blood letting thing had had an adverse effect on the demonstrators - most people seemed somewhat disgusted. I suggested that if they had gathered up the blood (with the Red Cross help) and donated it to the Red Cross with the message "this is out blood which we donate as a symbol of we will lay down our life for our Country and our cause". I believe that the public's response would have been, "what lovely and considerate people who in the midst of their frustration can think so positively about those in need". And no I am not volunteering to take over leadership of the Red Shirts! :)

funny I just saw a guy getting stopped yesterday for dropping a cigarette in front of this park. I was wondering if this was some sort of scams... are they real policemen?

Was it an unarmed officer with a green badge on his shoulder?

These guys are real police, and they will fine you if they see you litter. Cigarette I think is 300 bht, larger trash up to 2000 bht.

Has all the blood being donated / thrown around Bangkok been HIV/AIDS tested?

Is there any chance of catching any such disease from this?

Only if you try to use the thrown blood in a home-made transfusion. Don't.

Has all the blood being donated / thrown around Bangkok been HIV/AIDS tested?

Is there any chance of catching any such disease from this?

HIV cannot live outside a host for more than a minute or two,

I doubt that doctors would administer blood or plasma transfusions using untested blood. I wonder if many who otherwise might give blood do not do so in case any testing process shows that they have been using illegal substances and the fact would be reported to the police.