Dry British Sence Of Humour

tigerfish

Thanks Tigerfish :D . I absolutely loved Dave Allen...one of my favourite comediens. He was incredibly 'dry' at times. I also loved his parting wish, "May your god go with you". A unique & gutsy man...sorely missed from comedy.
About these people at university reading English. Can they read any other words?

Would an American music student studying the life and works of Flash Harry (Sir Malcolm Sergeant to you) be a Sergeant Major?

As always, I'm confused. Maybe it's the Sangsom to blame.

I think the Sangsom has something to do with it. I sometimes have the same problem :D

And now for something completely different....

...a man with 3 buttocks. :)

BTW, I'm still none the wiser about this 'read' vs 'major' thing. Can someone give an example...please?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I immensely admire "Crutch" columns,in the paper that cannot be named.English humour at its finest imho.

Absolutely! The "Postscript" column. I have both Postscript books and they are hilarious. They capture the need to be able to see the funny side in the various problems and pitfalls of living in Thailand, rather then get annoyed by them.

In fact these books should be a test of whether someone would fit in with Thai life. People who dont find them funny would not.

There is no such thing as definitive British humour though, its regional. Very few people from south of Watford find Bernard Manning remotely amusing for example.

Good TV example of this was the comedy "Green Wing". I personally think the character of Dr Alan Statham the funniest creation ever, better even than Fawlty. But this was not a popular comedy outside of SE England and bombed in the US where they didnt get it at all.

Yes...Americanese - "How to reduce 50 words to 5 words (in 0.5 easy lessons)."

This is one reason why I like British humour...they tend to extrapolate to the extreme in some cases, which adds to the humour.

Edited by elkangorito

You didn't invent dry humour, or English, Cleese was funny.

Always good to see a septic using English spelling when writing in Americanese.

yeah but at least they know how to make us laugh, wright!

somehow the green day track "dont wanna be an american idiot" seems so fitting.

yeah but at least they know how to make us laugh, wright!

somehow the green day track "dont wanna be an american idiot" seems so fitting.

I ushually find americans beter at speling than yor average brit. anyone else old enuf to remember nigel molesworth the curse of st custards? now theres some real proper eng humour! viz: Molesworth Quotes

Edited by andyww

One of the funniest signs I ever saw was in a US airport, posted at the moving walkways...."Standee's and Walkee's".....didnt realise "Standsee's and Walkee's" was even in the dictionary.. :)

After spending quite a bit of time working the US, came to following conclusions about US humour, just observations, you understand, not having a go at our colonial cousins:

1. The average US person appears to take themselves very seriously and lacks the ability to laugh at themselves.

2. Sarcasim/taking p*ss etc goes completely over their heads.

At one time really enjoyed the Simpsons, good for its time, but likes of Family Guy and Amercian Dad better these days...some very funny stuff..

So you're Shittish? :)

Septic is rhyming slang; septic tank = yank.

Shittish?

The problem we have with the English language that is spoken worldwide is "misunderstandings" with the language. What one countries population would understand as one thing another could take it completely the wrong way.

Take this lovely old couple from the good ole U.S of A on a trip to the UK. Their favourite football team is the Torpedoes and causes quite a stir in an English cafe with its patrons... :D

the other problem with the english langauge other than the fact that us brits say toeemarrtoe(tomatoe) compared to the rest of the world saying toemayytohhh.

is trying to make most americans understand that when it comes to talking about "FOOTBALL". which us english gave to the world, is played with a round ball, not with an egg shaped ball and is usually kicked with the foot. hence why it is called FOOTBALL and not the as the continent of north america like to decribe it.

american football is a contact sport. it is a hand to hand sport played only in one country and not by the rest of the world, unlike the beautiful game that is football. there is hardly any kicking involved, but you try explaining all those facts to a yank and see how far you get.

:)

As my Norwiegian friend said about "Football", it's a silly game. Just think about it, a bunch of men in shorts chase a ball around a field. Then when they finally do get to it....what do they do? They kick the bl@@dy thing away. Why do they even bother to chase after the ball that time, just to kick it away when they finally do get it?

:D

Incidentally, the rules of American football have changed since it began. Originally the only two ways to move the ball were by running with it or kicking it forward. Passing the ball with the hands was not allowed. That began around the beginning of the 20th century. Prioir to that American football was more like Rugby. American football had become quite brutal, and several college players died every year. The adoption of the forward pass rule (using hands) allowed the game to continue as a college sport...otherwise it would have been banned due to the deaths every year.

:D

If you call us Septics, we call you Shittish. It's American humor. Not funny? Neither is Septic.

Septic is not meant to be funny, nor offensive. It's just slang.

Other rhyming slang for American includes: Sherman (tank), petrol (tank), wooden (plank), Barclay's (bank).

Incidentally, someone expressing anti American opinions could be called 'Dettol.' Dettol being a popular brand of antiseptic in the UK.

No offense intended.

Actually, Shittish is quite funny!

I cringe when I hear about a "disconnect".....using a verb as a noun. Recently it's even been used this way in The Australian newspaper.

Aaaaaarrgh !

If you call us Septics, we call you Shittish. It's American humor. Not funny? Neither is Septic.

Missing the point, understandably, rhyming slang is not intended to insult anyone, hard to explain if you haven't grown up with it.

When we call Americans septics it isn't meant to be funny and doesn't need a semi-insult as a response, although I can understand how you might think it does :)

We are quite abusive to each other in this green and pleasant land and others who almost share the same language can very easily mis-understand.

If I travelled up to Newcastle, can't think why I would but if I did, the dialect would be almost incomprehensible but the 'p1ss taking humour' would be what we have in common.

Anyway I'm not British I'm English so it doesn't rhyme :D

Edited by bifftastic

British humour, the television version, is always developing to the point that I don't even find the current stuff they're showing mildy amusing. However there is a cable channel showing constant comedy programs 99% of which are over ten years old and still bluddy funny.

Somebody mentioned Benny Hill and inferred it wasn't funny. Well the thing is it WAS funny at the time, same as people like Tony Hancock, Michael Bentine, Marty Feldman and, one of my all time favourites, the Goon Show (but that was radio).

British stage (stand up comedy) has, in my opinion got right downhill now relying totally on volume, i.e. shouting, and obscenities.

But what's the point of getting old if you can't moan at the modern stuff?

Of course the English language lends itself, again IMO, to humour because just by altering the tone of a word changes it's intent and gives rise to the good old double entendre without which comedians like Frankie Howard would not have made such an impact.

in general the comedy/humour that comes from the other side of the pond seems to be that much more cynical, sarcastic, dry, witty and not affraid to push the boundaries of cencorship.

Yes, but to that we must add puerile, obvious, and plain silly. Most of it appeals to Johnny Lunchbucket sorts needin' a larf after a hard day's work at the site.

The problem with it here at TV is that it amounts to a distracting little sideshow of wannabe music hall performers. As the wanking is such an important reason for their participation in the forum, they will never give it up. For the rest of us, the international members, it's merely buzz that has to be filtered out in most threads (often half the thread or more) to get at the real information and ideas.

Having said that, Brit humor at its intellectual best (rarely seen around here) is quite excellent. And even the low comedy is skillfully acted, have to give them that.

As the wanking is such an important reason for their participation in the forum, they will never give it up.

Personally I've never had the urge to pull myself off over " Where can I buy Branston's Pickle in Kalasin? " or " What's the best oil to put in my Isuzu Hilander? " but it takes all sorts I suppose. :)

Can't believe you lot have gone through 8 pages and not mentioned Billy Connolly!!

"...can be undone by man, with a tap of a hammer, a twist of a screw... and I've no intention of flying through the air with my trousers round my ankles", from The Jobbie-Wheecher; one of the most vivid images in comedy, I think.

SC