Help Needed - Where To Get Carnet De Passage

Sidecar1

Hello All

I am planning to ride from Bangkok to Istanbul by sidecar (Ural 650cc) for charity next year. Does anyone know the following

1. Can I buy a second hand bike in Thailand and then have it transferred to my name? I currently have non B visa and work permit
  2. Once I have the bike, how easy is it to get a carne de passage and how do I go about this/how long does it take?
  3. if anyone knows any good shipping companies from Phuket/Singapore to India (as I have worked out there is no point going through China as it costs a fortune to get all the documents and you need to pay a local guide per day)

Also if anyone knows any Ural 650cc side cars for sale please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Side Car enthusiast....

Thailand is not a signatory to the CPD system, you wont get one from Thais..

I found a way, but it aint cheap.

Secondly I have never ever seen a legally registered ural in Thailand (Thai plated).

You sure have researched this deeply.

Just a quick reply.

Have gone the other way twice by Bike.

1 : Be sure to get your Iranian Visa either in India or Thailand if you have a chance,it is very difficult if not impossible to get in Pakistan.

Allow at "least" 6 weeks for the visa.

2 : With your route I,d definitely go from India as it is very expensive to ship from Thailand to India.You may have to fly it over (quick but expensive)

Check out " www.lonelyplanets.com" for general info.

I had to get my "Carnet De Passage" for the bike in the UK and had to put a deposit of Three times the value of the bike down !!!

3 Don't be put off its hard to organise all the paper work but the trip will be unforgettable.

Best of luck.

Sorry cannot advise about the Bike you want ,must admit never seen one in Thailand (ever considered an old BMW with or without side car !!!)

Just a quick reply.

Have gone the other way twice by Bike.

1 : Be sure to get your Iranian Visa either in India or Thailand if you have a chance,it is very difficult if not impossible to get in Pakistan.

Allow at "least" 6 weeks for the visa.

2 : With your route I,d definitely go from India as it is very expensive to ship from Thailand to India.You may have to fly it over (quick but expensive)

Check out " www.lonelyplanets.com" for general info.

I had to get my "Carnet De Passage" for the bike in the UK and had to put a deposit of Three times the value of the bike down !!!

3 Don't be put off its hard to organise all the paper work but the trip will be unforgettable.

Best of luck.

Sorry cannot advise about the Bike you want ,must admit never seen one in Thailand (ever considered an old BMW with or without side car !!!)

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the info. Headache it will be but I will not give up. I know most people start in Europe and end in Asia but surely there is a way of doing it in reverse.... Hmmm its such a shame China has so much red tape. Do you know if you can get a carne from the UK but buy the bike out here and get plates so that you can import it back to the UK? Ie, buy bike in Thailand with full registration papers,contact UK, get a Carne from them and plates, put the plates on the thai bike and then go overland?

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Carnet to ship my Harley to Australia and back. Needed to post a bond to ensure that the bike returned to Canada - bond cost $700.00. Shipping Vancouver Perth return via SeaCan was only $1500.00. With the carnet the serial numbers have to be checked on your bike before the carnet is issued - whether this can be done via a lawyer and forwarded to a foreign country I have no idea. Sounds like a great trip tho' - hope is works out for you.

India riding I have heard is more - 'Interesting' - than Thai riding. Be aware. Beware.