Hot Season Hide-aways

T_Dog

Always like to go to Kiat Num (Soi 11 Nimenhemin) or T-Ten (next to the Boat on Huay Gaew) for a 2-O'Clock afternoon beer and a 50 baht lunch. Wondering what other Air Conditioned venues people end up in during that time as there must be a lot out there. Any new suggestions to keep cool mid-afternoon?

With any recommendation on the Internet, always helpful to get a second opinion.

(Thank you, Google.)

In the quote below is another recommendation of "Kiat Num", mentioned above.

But the quote below mentions another aspect which is NOT disclosed in the OP.

The web page link below lists other restaurants we see recommended repeatedly here on the Chiangmai forum.

Helpful to understand the reasons why certain restaurants seem to be mentioned again and again.

For a hot season hide-away, Brix in the Montri Hotel is air-conditioned, clean, and offers quality food.

Early afternoon will be quiet, too.

But you won't find much to eat there for 50 baht.

And don't go to Brix on a Sunday: walking street madness starts mid-afternoon.

My favourite approach to hot season hide-aways is the coffee shops: Wawee, Starbucks, and the many non-chain shops.

Many are air-conditioned.

All offer clean, comfortable seating.

Most offer Wi-Fi.

Since coffee shops are almost everywhere in Chiangmai, there's no need to travel very far in the heat, just to go to a certain place.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Kiat Num

This is the gathering spot for the hi-so
gay
Thai gay crowd in Chiang Mai, and it is usually packed with
gay
Thai professionals and students. They serve very good Thai food and some Western favorites including a German pork loin. They also have a full espresso bar. The bar is owned by Eddy, Chiang Mai’s favorite “big” sister. Eddy speaks fluent English and he is a great source of information for all of the
gay
happenings in Chiang Mai and knows of all the hot
gay
spots popular with local Thais. He is also an expert on the local
gay
massage scene. Open from lunch until 10pm. It is located in the trendy Nimman district close to the
gay
area.

Soi 11 Nimmanhemind Road

Phone: (0) 5321-8530

Edited by Oneman

Big C or Carrefour and the Beer Girls!! :)

Cheap snacks, cold beer, hot girls.. Paradise.

Oh yes. But I was in Doi Saket for the first time in a long time today, and noticed a new restaurant called You and Me. Open fronted place near the good ole Sorn's, with some good ole expats sitting around. Any feedback anyone?

And how about the little Italian on Borsang Rd, a few 100m's east of the DS traffic lights?

The new Tesco Express there actually stocks Schweppes tonic to go with the gin, so I may be up there more often now......

Oneman.... I don't think the internet is helping you on this one, man. I've seen no correlation with the quote you provided. If I'm not the only one there, there is usually a group of government officers or university folks having a business lunch. Not sure what Kiat Num is like at night, but for a place to have a beer and lunch while you read a book or the paper while the Mrs shops, you can't beat it. That's why I want to find more like it. Go check it out and see if you agree.

Seems homophobia is alive and well in educated expat circles.. :)

Another 'gay' place that is however excellent is Lemon Tree, on Huay Kaew road across from the Shell gas station not too far up from Central KSK. You can park at that guess station if you fancy your chances crossing the road. Truly excellent food.

Airport Plaza is always a good un. Loads of places to duck into for a beer/coffee/eye-candy amid the bustle.

Perhaps more a case of the cringe-worthy aspect of having it thrust in their face (pun intended) every other thread.

Oh yes. But I was in Doi Saket for the first time in a long time today, and noticed a new restaurant called You and Me. Open fronted place near the good ole Sorn's, with some good ole expats sitting around. Any feedback anyone?

And how about the little Italian on Borsang Rd, a few 100m's east of the DS traffic lights?

The new Tesco Express there actually stocks Schweppes tonic to go with the gin, so I may be up there more often now......

We are not advertising our little and excellent hang outs. We are trying to keep the rift raft from CM out. :D

Another 'gay' place that is however excellent is Lemon Tree, on Huay Kaew road across from the Shell gas station not too far up from Central KSK. You can park at that guess station if you fancy your chances crossing the road. Truly excellent food.

The Lemon Tree is a good place. Haven't been there for a while either so it's on the list. Thanks Winnie.

We are not advertising our little and excellent hang outs. We are trying to keep the rift raft from CM out. :D

LOL May be i should move back to CM city then....... Sabi Sabi (Ring a Bell with any one in the DS Area?)

Big C or Carrefour and the Beer Girls!! :D

how did you sneak in then, did you follow me? :)

Airport Plaza is always a good un. Loads of places to duck into for a beer/coffee/eye-candy amid the bustle.

Perhaps more a case of the cringe-worthy aspect of having it thrust in their face (pun intended) every other thread.

yup would agree on Airport plaza, i like the internet cafe overlooking the atrium

OMG ... is that place Gay? (it can't be as I have never been there!) If it were a gogo-bar etc I could understand certain poster's trepidation, but a hangout for a drink or snack? Oh the humanity! Next people will avoid other places where there might be gay people! Like -- hair salons, any restaurant, your local motorcycle shop, a mall!

My favourite approach to hot season hide-aways is the coffee shops: Wawee, Starbucks, and the many non-chain shops.

Many are air-conditioned.

All offer clean, comfortable seating.

Most offer Wi-Fi.

Since coffee shops are almost everywhere in Chiangmai, there's no need to travel very far in the heat, just to go to a certain place.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

And if you like Coffee Shops, don't forget the Sayuri Coffee shop in a side road just past the British Consulate (they sell beer too)

If you're after a place to hole up whilst the missus is blitzing the credit card then the cowboy bar on the 4th floor of Central Airport is a decent enough place. Cold beer, hot ladies and an unobtrusive live soloist or duet sometimes. Not sure how cheap the snacks are but you could always leg it down to the basement, scoff some cheap grub and then go back up! :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Seems homophobia is alive and well in educated expat circles.

A cool setting for lunch on a hot day is very appealing, so I'm interested in the topic here.

The OP likely had no knowledge about the "gay" links to his original recommendation.

But if I find second opinions which might be useful to other readers of this forum, I'll continue to post them.

Among readers of ThaiVisa are a significant number of Christians.

Christians don't bother with slurs like, "homophobia" -- they simply consider sodomy to be an "abomination".

I don't want to eat in that kind of environment, nor will I support such businesses as a customer.

There are others reading this forum who have similar values, I am certain.

Brix, in the Montri Hotel, I've recommended several times before, so no need to say much about it yet again.

But I offer Brix as a high standard of comfort, cleanliness, and quality food.

Where else might be up to that standard?

I've mentioned coffee shops in general, because they are consistently cool and comfortable.

The Black Canyon chain serves light meals at some of their shops.

So -- in answer to the OP's original questions -- that's another option, with many locations around Chiangmai.

(However, while the iced coffee is fine, I don't enjoy the food at Black Canyon.)

Like the OP, I'd like to find out about other places that are appealing for hot season hide-a-ways.

And I will keep checking for second opinions.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Seems homophobia is alive and well in educated expat circles.. rolleyes.gif

I used to go there with my last gf ......... neither of us noticed it was gay, pretty sure I spotted a freelancer working out of there too.

Lemon Tree, on Huay Kaew road across from the Shell gas station ... I used to go there ......... neither of us noticed it was gay

I never noticed either, and I've been multiple times (but not in recent months).

Lemon Tree has far better food than anyplace I know inside Gad-Suan-Kaew shopping center, so if I'm over there and it's time to eat, I prefer to head to Lemon Tree.

But is it a "hide-away" during the hot season?

Hardly.

Usually busy, often noisy with groups of Thais celebrating something -- the sort of place for a quick meal and then leave.

Not the sort of "hide-away" that T-Dog asked for in his OP.

In that area of town, I'm surprised no one has suggested The Pub, on Huay Kaew road.

It certainly qualifies as a quiet, "hide-away" for a hot-season afternoon.

Superb "pub grub".

Plenty of parking right at the front door.

And I think The Pub might serve beer, too.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

bar9.jpg

Edited by Oneman

If you're after a place to hole up whilst the missus is blitzing the credit card then the cowboy bar on the 4th floor of Central Airport is a decent enough place. Cold beer, hot ladies and an unobtrusive live soloist or duet sometimes. Not sure how cheap the snacks are but you could always leg it down to the basement, scoff some cheap grub and then go back up! :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Pikey..... Food there at the Western Pub is actually quite reasonable for a mall establishment. It makes "going shopping" quite survivable!

Taste from Heaven on the south side of Thapae Rd has great vegeterian fare, aircon and free wifi and internet with their computer for 30 min for customers. The food and drinks are very reasonably priced and the atmosphere relaxed and not crowded.

Another good aircon spot to hang out and tourist-watch is the Art Cafe across from Thapae Gate.

Also, most of the fancy hotels have English language newspapers in their beautiful aircon lobbies and don't mind if you hang out all afternoon if you're reasonably well groomed and polite.

If you get bored, you can catch the free shuttle to Airport Plaza that stops at 8-10 hotels in Thapae/Night Bazaar area. Ask and usually the driver will let you sit up front with him and his aircon. Lots to do at Airport Plaza. Cheap food in the basement and 4th floor food courts, 60 baht movies on Wednesdays. The Cowboy bar on the 4th floor is a favorite of Hubby's for obvious reasons, although the beer is more expensive than the beer at the 4th floor food court.

Hideaway Cafe on the main road to Hang Dong, just before Tesco ,left hand side. Lovely shaded garden or inside in air con. Same owners as Art Cafe but for me the food is far better, in presentation and taste ,and we frequent both locations. While your there you can stock up on their yoghurt, cheese, bread,home made jams etc

A cool setting for lunch on a hot day is very appealing, so I'm interested in the topic here.

The OP likely had no knowledge about the "gay" links to his original recommendation.

But if I find second opinions which might be useful to other readers of this forum, I'll continue to post them.

Christians don't bother with slurs like, "homophobia" -- they simply consider sodomy to be an "abomination".

I don't want to eat in that kind of environment, nor will I support such businesses as a customer.

Brix, in the Montri Hotel, I've recommended several times before, so no need to say much about it yet again.

But I offer Brix as a high standard of comfort, cleanliness, and quality food.

Where else might be up to that standard?

I've mentioned coffee shops in general, because they are consistently cool and comfortable.

The Black Canyon chain serves light meals at some of their shops.

So -- in answer to the OP's original questions -- that's another option, with many locations around Chiangmai.

(However, while the iced coffee is fine, I don't enjoy the food at Black Canyon.)

Like the OP, I'd like to find out about other places that are appealing for hot season hide-a-ways.

And I will keep checking for second opinions.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I think genital mutilation of children is an abomination, lying to them about a pathetic fairy story of design or creation is abhorrent also.

This ones going down fast !!

Yep, cue Celine Dion! I actually did see a few places I haven't hit though. The Hideway from Sparkles and Taste of Heaven from NancyL are two Air Con places I have to try out.

That pretty much devalues the meaning of the word values. :)

Personally I don't even think you're a Christian, just bitter and close-minded. Feel free to hide behind religion though.

Hideaway Cafe on the main road to Hang Dong, just before Tesco ,left hand side. Lovely shaded garden or inside in air con. Same owners as Art Cafe but for me the food is far better, in presentation and taste ,and we frequent both locations. While your there you can stock up on their yoghurt, cheese, bread,home made jams etc

I'll second this place. Great food and an extensive menu. Don't get to carried away at the deli or you'll have some size of a bill, only joking....

Edited by Thaihog

I'll second this place. Great food and an extensive menu. Don't get to carried away at the deli or you'll have some size of a bill, only joking....

And not to mention the delicious bagels,scones, cakes, tarts ,local hill tribe coffee and at 60 baht the large bottle of yoghurt has to be a bargain so you can justify the bill !!!