Portable A/c Units

Greenside

Following on from the "How Hot Is Here" thread (the answer to which as far as my computer room is concerned is "almost unbearably"), I'm considering a portable aircon if I can find one that's any good. The house is a rental and I don't want to get into installations if possible so has anyone got an experience with a stand alone unit (not the fan with water injected type, often called air coolers but a proper a/c).

There's one called MODERN A proper air con: with remote have got one. I got it four year's ago when I was renting. Dose it work well yes and no. You have to vent it so have to put a hole in wall or through window If you have sliding one's great. If not a complete bugger up, as you will have to leave it open so cold air out hot in. They do one 10,000btu and one12,000btu. Having had one 12,000btu. Would I get one again at 28,000 baht not on you life. Better even if renting to get an air con fitted. For less money and they work better. And use less eletric, you can also have them taken out and re fitted in new rental place, for about 1,500 baht. If your thinking of having one fitted. Get the man down to tell you what size you want then add a few more btu and get that one. That's because one that's to big for the job work's better and last's longer. And not much of a price difference. Only used mine for 3 month's and has been sitting in one of my room's gathering dust. Never to see the light of day again.