Buying A Toyota Vios In Thailand

xm911e3

Hi guys, I noticed here in Chiang Mai ain't easy to go around without a car. Here in Chiang Mai, no BTS, taxis are too little, baht bus can't really get me around here to where I wanna go, etc...

I went to a car sales exhibition in Chaing Mai today with the intention to buy a car (Toyota Vios).

The cost of the new car is about 550,000B including 1 year free insurance and other little freebies add ons like free registration, tinted windows, etc...

83,000B downpayment and monthly installment for 7 years works out between 6,500B - 7,000B a month which is quite affordable.

As I just need a car to get around more easily and comfortable, I maybe buying a 2nd hand car instead.

Checked a 2nd hand Toyota Vios cost about 440,000B for a 3 years old. Ummm... might as well get a new one....

1) What are the pros and cons between buying a new car and a 2nd hand car?

2) What are the things I should look out for if buying a 2nd hand car so they don't rip me off?

This is my 1st time buying a car in Thailand and I've absolutely no experience in that area. Please help me.

A 2nd hand Chevy Aveo is fine too. I don't mind as long as it does not give me problems and able to get me around.

Thanks alot.

1) What are the pros and cons between buying a new car and a 2nd hand car?

2) What are the things I should look out for if buying a 2nd hand car so they don't rip me off?

This is my 1st time buying a car in Thailand and I've absolutely no experience in that area. Please help me.

A 2nd hand Chevy Aveo is fine too. I don't mind as long as it does not give me problems and able to get me around.

1) The pros of buying a new Vios are;

lower interest rates if you need finance, 3 year 100,000km warranty for peace of mind, current technology possibly more fuel efficient and stylish.

Pros of second-hand Vios are: You can buy a higher-grade car like 'S' limited for the price of a new, but lower-grade, Vios J or E. Lower rate of depreciation. Lower downpayment. Lower insurance premiums because of lower car value.

Cons of new Vios: Steep depreciation as with all new cars, although the Thai-made Vios is very popular and has good resale value.

Cons of Second-hand Vios; High interest rates from dealer (either a tent or Toyota Sure certified used center) if you need finance. Even with a log-book, you can't trust the quality of repairs/maintenance; use of fake/generic spare parts in rampant in Thailand and maintenance schedules aren't always followed.

2) Buy second-hand from Toyota Sure certified centers; you'll pay much higher rates of interest 4-5% though, as opposed to 2% if bought new. If buying privately, much higher risk unless you are savvy.

3) You mentioned a second-hand Chevy Aveo - this is actually a Daewoo T250, rebadged as Chevy after GM bought up Daewoo (South-Korean) after they went bankrupt at the end of last decade. I believe the Aveo is made in Thailand as is the Vios, but the Aveo is sold internationally under different names. It's more similar than different to the Vios and comes with a similar 3 year/ 100,000km warranty. The difference, if you buy an Aveo from Chevy certified second-hand centre, Chevy OK, is much steeper depreciation and lower resale value. Worth a look, as Chevy will give you a year's warranty, unlike buying from a tent or privately.

4) If you are looking for a cheap run-around, the new Nissan March (rebadged Micra) offers very cheap motoring with 20km/litre efficiency. The base model is only 375,000. Ask for a test-drive and decide, it may be too small.

Yes all you need is in there (here).

If you want to save +500.000 buy a scooter. :)

If you want a car and can afford it, buy a new and remember a 1st class insurance which should be incl in a new car deal.

Just about sums it up; used cars here are ridiculously expensive, they are not the bargains they are in the UK or the USA, and most have been wrecked and repaired, also the charming Thai practice of tending to find the Farang at fault in any accident regardless of the facts mandates having the best insurance you can get from a quality and reputable insurer.

1) The pros of buying a new Vios are;

lower interest rates if you need finance, 3 year 100,000km warranty for peace of mind, current technology possibly more fuel efficient and stylish.

Pros of second-hand Vios are: You can buy a higher-grade car like 'S' limited for the price of a new, but lower-grade, Vios J or E. Lower rate of depreciation. Lower downpayment. Lower insurance premiums because of lower car value.

Cons of new Vios: Steep depreciation as with all new cars, although the Thai-made Vios is very popular and has good resale value.

Cons of Second-hand Vios; High interest rates from dealer (either a tent or Toyota Sure certified used center) if you need finance. Even with a log-book, you can't trust the quality of repairs/maintenance; use of fake/generic spare parts in rampant in Thailand and maintenance schedules aren't always followed.

2) Buy second-hand from Toyota Sure certified centers; you'll pay much higher rates of interest 4-5% though, as opposed to 2% if bought new. If buying privately, much higher risk unless you are savvy.

3) You mentioned a second-hand Chevy Aveo - this is actually a Daewoo T250, rebadged as Chevy after GM bought up Daewoo (South-Korean) after they went bankrupt at the end of last decade. I believe the Aveo is made in Thailand as is the Vios, but the Aveo is sold internationally under different names. It's more similar than different to the Vios and comes with a similar 3 year/ 100,000km warranty. The difference, if you buy an Aveo from Chevy certified second-hand centre, Chevy OK, is much steeper depreciation and lower resale value. Worth a look, as Chevy will give you a year's warranty, unlike buying from a tent or privately.

4) If you are looking for a cheap run-around, the new Nissan March (rebadged Micra) offers very cheap motoring with 20km/litre efficiency. The base model is only 375,000. Ask for a test-drive and decide, it may be too small.

Hi, thank you for sharing. I went through a couple of 2nd hand car dealers. Gezz... the price for a 3 years old second hand Toyota Vios (Old Model) is 440,000B compared to a new one which is 549,000B. Difference is merely about 100,000B. With your added info, I guess I'd go for a new Toyota Vios. Interest rate is about 2%, free 1st class insurance, other freebies, etc...

I've one question here. I'm kinda surprise at the car depreciation rate in Thailand. It's surprising low compared back home. Is there any catch to it or am I missing something here? I dunno because it sounds kinda good though. If I were to sell off my Toyota Vios 3 years later, I won't lose much right?

PS: A Nissan March would be too small for me. I'm about 220 lbs.

Hi, thank you for sharing. I went through a couple of 2nd hand car dealers. Gezz... the price for a 3 years old second hand Toyota Vios (Old Model) is 440,000B compared to a new one which is 549,000B. Difference is merely about 100,000B. With your added info, I guess I'd go for a new Toyota Vios. Interest rate is about 2%, free 1st class insurance, other freebies, etc...

I've one question here. I'm kinda surprise at the car depreciation rate in Thailand. It's surprising low compared back home. Is there any catch to it or am I missing something here? I dunno because it sounds kinda good though. If I were to sell off my Toyota Vios 3 years later, I won't lose much right?

It's very important to take note of the grade of the Vios when comparing; the base model 'J' (around 500,000baht new) is a world away from the range-topping S-limited (700k). The 440k model may have a host of features not present on the new 549k one. Check this on the website http://www.toyota.co.th/en/models/vios/vio...asp?series_id=6

If you look, second-hand vehicles will usually have high mileage 30,000km/year+ and it's unlikely the vital maintenance has been carried out in a timely fashion, particularly oil/filter and air filter changes.

Vios do have excellent resale value, but the 'catch' you've highlighted is the gulf between the actual trade-in value you will be offered and the forecourt price you are seeing advertised. The owner of the 3y/o Vios you saw could have sold it to the dealer for as little as 380-400k. I don't know the grade, but if it was an E or S limited, he could have paid 650-700k for it three years ago - that's quite steep deprecitation.

If you're planning to sell after 3 years and are honest about depreciation, investigate whether long-term rental from a reputable company might be a better option, if you buy, don't buy manual transmission as Thai's dislike them.