Thailand Army Chief Calls For Parliament Dissolution

astral

Thailand army chief calls for parliament dissolution

In a BBC report:

Thailand's army chief has called for parliament to be dissolved, two days after deadly fighting between troops and anti-government protesters.

Gen Anupong Paojinda said that a political solution had to be found to Thailand's crisis.

His comments appeared to echo calls from the protesters for the government to step down and call elections.

Full details here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8614753.stm

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anupong should be very publicly fired right now.

Its disgraceful thats he should betray his fallen comrades and those still suffering in hospital by advocating that Abhisit should dissolve the house.

He is now saying exactly what the people they were fighting against 48 hours earlier were saying.

He will know already that the red shirt mercenaries that shot at and killed some of his men on Saturday will be from the same group that bombed his office in January.

He will know full well who their leader is and who is ultimately financially responsible for their behaviour.

For him to turn tail now and fall in with that group of jackals is simply cowardly, traitorous behaviour and should not go unpunished.

Let's be fair, this government came into power because of criminal elements like Newin and other who stole the seats of the PPP (TRT/PT) and decided that they knew better than the voters. These voters demand their seats back. Nothing wrong with that.

The red shirts should never ever agree on a 6 month time frame. A six month time frame will bring the man with blood on his hand and who is an known Thaksin hater in power general Prayuth Chan Ocha. A new government must be in place latest in July or in early august to derail his promotion to army leader. It is worth fighting a bit longer to avoid that or at least negotiate that Chan ocha is out and never make it as army leader. God forbid that this man ever gets his chance.

Given the funny and outright stupid statements of Foreign Minister Kasit who is charged with economic terrorism charges by prosecutors the government is desperate. It will take a few days longer before Thaksin or the red shirts are accused of the drought, the dry Mekong and the fact that the yellow shirts closed the airport.

If a PM has to come on TV everyday to assure his people that everything is under control and that the army is with him, it means in general that he is in trouble, that nothing is under control and that the army is split.

I've always believed new elections would be the only way out of this mess. It's just a shame there was such resistance by those clinging to power and that it had to come to boiling point.

New elections wil not solve anything....if the Reds win, yellow accuse reds of corruption, vote rigging...take to the streets....yellows win, reds accuse yellows of corruption and vote rigging and take to the streets....... and so the cycle continues...are you seeing a pattern ??

With the showing made over the past few days by his command, he has probably found a niche for himself. Most exalted consultant, spokesman to/for the Thai political system. Trade the uniform for a clown suit, add scrambled eggs, to cover, a couple of misconduct medals and the country will beat a path to his door.

Only in Thailand. The military calling on the government for a political solution. Usually it's the government calling on the military for a solution!

Did I see a white flag being waved by the military?

I've always believed new elections would be the only way out of this mess. It's just a shame there was such resistance by those clinging to power and that it had to come to boiling point.

New elections wil not solve anything....if the Reds win, yellow accuse reds of corruption, vote rigging...take to the streets....yellows win, reds accuse yellows of corruption and vote rigging and take to the streets....... and so the cycle continues...are you seeing a pattern ??

I should have said "transparent and fair elections", however I see your point but disagree.

Things have come full circle. I think all sides, with the publics understanding, will to the agreement before elections are held to respect the outcome.

I should have said "transparent and fair elections", however I see your point but disagree.

Things have come full circle. I think all sides, with the publics understanding, will to the agreement before elections are held to respect the outcome.

No chance.

The reds/yellows idea of democracy is that their side wins. If their side doesn't win then they call foul and the whole process starts again.

I agree with the sentiment that elections in the near future will not solve anything and likely make things worse. The country is in a psychological state of civil war. That is not the right environment to hold elections.

The problem with transparancy and fair elections regarding Thailand would imply that a foreign body would need to oversee the elections ie UN etc to deem them free and fair, and we would have the "Thai face" thing creeping in.....they just wouldn't allow it.

it's going to be that way anyway. this is thai mind, vengeance! :)

Spoken like someone with little Thailand experience.

Perhaps you have lived here so long you are jaded.

Sorry, what are you talking about? Can you give me an example of something I've said on this thread or any of these other Political threads that may support this theory of yours?

I'm hoping that many here underestimate the Thai people. I think that they actually would accept the results of an election that was perceived as being largely fair. However, there are many obstacles to a free and fair election:

1) Real or perceived vote buying.

2) Physical intimidation of the opposition - particularly by groups like Rak Udon Thani and Chiang Mai 51, who have long records of violence.

3) Official bias against certain parties, again, real or perceived. While the Reds are usually the ones complaining about this, if the Democrat party is indeed dissolved, the former Dem MPs will need either 60 or 90 days (I don't remember which) to form or join a new party before they would be eligible to run. If the courts dissolved the Dems and elections were held immediately afterwards, I think that there would be another boycott.

These and other factors would continue to destabilize Thai politics. Both sides need to sit down and negotiate a plan to get them through the next elections that is fair and acceptable to all sides. Unfortunately, based on the recent Red/Govt negotiations, no agreement will be possible unless they are held in Dubai! :)

Edited by otherstuff1957

Now he says it... what was the point of it all? I have been posting about elections for weeks and been laughed at and ridiculed by yellow posters. Now he says ‘ok’ it’s a disgrace that people have died – and for what? Abhisit should have called elections ages ago – now he has lost the support (if he ever had it) of the Army Chief.

So let’s see – will Abhisit fire the Army Chief? I would be impressed but it will never happen.

No chance.

The reds/yellows idea of democracy is that their side wins. If their side doesn't win then they call foul and the whole process starts again.

You have to at least give it a chance and give it the best chance possible with talks, negotiations, public debate, academic debate, whatever else etc. You have to admit there are not many options left.

The problem with transparancy and fair elections regarding Thailand would imply that a foreign body would need to oversee the elections ie UN etc to deem them free and fair, and we would have the "Thai face" thing creeping in.....they just wouldn't allow it.

Correct. Its also highly unlikely that 'advice' would be taken from foriegn countries either. Thai people will sort this out Thai style & nothings going to change that. :)

No chance.

Sad but true.

Actually I agree with you - it is sad but true - would you ever believe this is a Buddhist country? it's almost beyond recognition - and I warrent that protagonists on both sides go to the Temple - it's almost depressing

No chance.

Sad but true.

Actually I agree with you - it is sad but true - would you ever believe this is a Buddhist country? it's almost beyond recognition - and I warrent that protagonists on both sides go to the Temple - it's almost depressing

No different from some of those other 'western' nations whos presidents leaders goto church and carry on just after they've sent forces in to bomb hundreds of thousands of civilians caught in the way of their oil seeking exercises wars on terror. :)

army has it's own particular interests, it's like a state within the state, above the law and constitution.

in order to keep unity of the army, army chief has to withdraw soldiers from the direct involvement of soldiers in the crowd dispersal - it's just too much for them to loose shooting again and again to the civilians. They leave this job to police now.

they will cling to controlling all mass media, many politicians to shape politics and banks, large and small companies to have some extra funding for their "special operations" death and assasination squads if needed.

I would think after the p_iss poor performance of the boy-scout army, the army chief should be sacked immediately, as a matter of fact it should have happened the other day when the troops were over-run by a few reds at the TV transitter.

Can only say it is lucky it wasn't a hostile foreign power who they were up against - it would have been a complete rout and Thailand would now be flying a different flag.

You have to at least give it a chance and give it the best chance possible with talks, negotiations, public debate, academic debate, whatever else etc. You have to admit there are not many options left.

You are starting to sound very naive as regards Thailand politics.... :)

You should understand that the Abhisit government has put at risk the institutions. Instead of defusing the social situation, he has focused on Economical development. Today it is an EMERGENCY to defuse the situation because we are approaching a critical point for drifting in an Institutional adventure. In the same way of thinking, it is also not the right time to put on the table a debate on amendments to Charter.

IMHO, the Highest level is now acting for defusing immediately the situation and has chosen the option of Elections, Anupong is the carrier of the message. Institution interests of which Army is the Guardian are at risks.

You are starting to sound very naive as regards Thailand politics.... :D

So what is your expert opinion on the next best move, sir ?

By the way, you are also implying that the Army Chief is politically naive, since he has suggested elections to be held also. :)

Edited by RussellHantz