Red Shirts In Chiang Mai Break Through Fences

Maejo Man

Just saw this in the news clippings. Anybody driving past? I can't be bothered to go look tonight....

THE NATION: Tension rises as Red Shirts in Chiang Mai break through fences of provincial city hall; police tightened security there

I don't know about City Hall but I'm just around the corner from the Warorat Hotel reds' "base" and about 15 minutes ago there were a whole load of massive explosions from that direction . . . I do wish the monks at Wat Pra Singh would be more sensitive to the current unrest when deciding to let off ceremonial fireworks. Call me paranoid if you like but there were a couple of Thai faces also looking in the direction of the bangs with concern on their faces although it has to be said that most were paying no attention at all.

The report about Chiang Mai City Hall was in the MCOT English language newsfeed but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

JxP

I read somewhere else that the reds have threatened to burn down provincial halls if the government moves against them with force in Bangkok. I would tend to believe their threats.

Burning down city halls!!! There's a mature democratic stance for you. Books will be next I guess, then lynch mobs.

I used to protest against the undemocratic elitist regime of my father when I was about 4 years old in a similar manner. Something like - "If you don't let me play with my toys, I will stamp my feet and shout".

When will these buffoons grow up?

I read somewhere else that the reds have threatened to burn down provincial halls if the government moves against them with force in Bangkok. I would tend to believe their threats.

Burning down city halls!!! There's a mature democratic stance for you. Books will be next I guess, then lynch mobs.

I used to protest against the undemocratic elitist regime of my father when I was about 4 years old in a similar manner. Something like - "If you don't let me play with my toys, I will stamp my feet and shout".

When will these buffoons grow up?

More like when will Thailand grow up. Not anytime soon, you can bet on it.

I don't know about City Hall but I'm just around the corner from the Warorat Hotel reds' "base" and about 15 minutes ago there were a whole load of massive explosions from that direction . . . I do wish the monks at Wat Pra Singh would be more sensitive to the current unrest when deciding to let off ceremonial fireworks. Call me paranoid if you like but there were a couple of Thai faces also looking in the direction of the bangs with concern on their faces although it has to be said that most were paying no attention at all.

The report about Chiang Mai City Hall was in the MCOT English language newsfeed but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

JxP

The fireworks /explosions were at Tapae Gate, for wedding anniversary of King & Queen I believe. Maybe not excellent timing as I was close by and noticed many people duck which is interestingly not a normal reaction here for loud noises. So just goes to show a lot of people on edge.

The fireworks /explosions were at Tapae Gate, for wedding anniversary of King & Queen I believe. Maybe not excellent timing as I was close by and noticed many people duck which is interestingly not a normal reaction here for loud noises. So just goes to show a lot of people on edge.

Thanks for filling in the blanks, cmsally. We were looking towards Wat Pra Singh in the direction of the (reflected) noise; not being able to see any pretty sparks in the sky fuelled the paranoia . . . I guess we should have turned around!

The Nation's newsfeed has now also reported the Chiang Mai City Hall incident.

JxP

JxP

Have you ever seen a thai when it is thundering...scared shitless and jump ...how high!!! :)

The damage to the public property doesnt hurt the government of the day, it hurts Thai people, simple as that. Very disappointing to read information like this. :)

Especially when there is no confirmation of said events.

The damage to the public property doesnt hurt the government of the day, it hurts Thai people, simple as that. Very disappointing to read information like this. :)

& theres that too. :D but of course we have seen first hand damage in bkk with people spray painting things and carry on like first class clowns .

Edited by neverdie

Pink parade at Taphai now? tonight?

I received this today:

This message supplements the Department of State's most recent

<http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1998.html> Travel

Alert for Thailand to provide additional information about

demonstrations and explosives incidents in Northern Thailand.

Supporters of a pro-Government movement known as "mixed shirts," "no

color," or "multi-color" have begun nightly demonstrations in the

Nimmanhemin area of Chiang Mai city, near Chiang Mai University, an area

frequented by U.S. citizens. Starting at approximately 17:00,

demonstrators assemble at Health Park, near the University's main

entrance. They plan to proceed down Huay Kaew Road to the intersection

of Nimmanhemin Road, then return to Health Park by 18:00.

Media report that these "mixed shirts," "no color," or "multi-color"

supporters intend to repeat these nightly demonstrations indefinitely.

Supporters of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (aka

UDD or "red-shirts") may confront these demonstrations. In the past,

similar confrontations have turned violent.

Media also report that UDD leaders plan to block the movement of

security forces from the Provinces to Bangkok. Police and UDD

supporters skirmished in one such blockade in Phitsanulok April 26. UDD

supporters have threatened demonstrations in the Provinces if its

current demonstration in Bangkok is forcibly dispersed. Possible

demonstration sites include Provincial Halls and military and police

installations. Two such demonstrations took place in Chiang Mai April

24. Also, UDD supporters recently have demonstrated at the U.S.

Consulate General in Chiang Mai, and further such demonstrations cannot

be ruled out.

We wish to remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be

peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.

U.S. citizens are urged to avoid areas that may be targeted for

demonstrations and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any

demonstrations or large gatherings. The demonstration plans and targets

noted above may change without advance warning. U.S. citizens should

monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information of any

demonstrations and areas to avoid.

This message also alerts U.S. citizens to continuing explosives attacks

in and around Chiang Mai city. Since March 18 and April 8 Warden

Messages on this subject, additional explosive devices have detonated.

Some of these incidents have involved military-grade munitions and have

taken place at or near areas frequented by U.S. citizens. These

incidents appear to be politically motivated, not acts of international

terrorism. However, more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S.

citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance, especially

after dark. Immediately report to law enforcement or security personnel

any unattended packages or bags or suspicious objects in public areas.

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register

the <https://travelregistration.state.gov/> State Department's travel

registration website. For information on general crime and security

issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country

Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at

the Department of State's Bureau of <http://travel.state.gov/> Consular

Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on

security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and

Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

Haha right outside my shops...

There are probably a few hundred reds in that area at the bar and in the market.

So now we have the PAD &lt;deleted&gt; up our trade. :)

just seen they are leaving by 6pm.

good. snot nosed students probably.

Edited by whiterussian

Check the news clippings of this forum, and MCOT online. Also mentioned on MCOT Thai on channel 98 That's if your TV goes that high and you understand Thai. I DON'T post rumours :)

Check the news clippings of this forum, and MCOT online. Also mentioned on MCOT Thai on channel 98 That's if your TV goes that high and you understand Thai. I DON'T post rumours :)

I never said you posted rumours was just wanting confirmation. This is the quote from the Nation.

THE NATION: Tension rising in Chiang Mai. We've hrd reds have broken in2 provincial hall w/ sum tires, warning nothing shall happen 2 Bkk reds.

"hrd" equals heard, I'm still asking for confirmation.

Supporters of a pro-Government movement known as "mixed shirts," "no

color," or "multi-color" have begun nightly demonstrations in the

Nimmanhemin area of Chiang Mai city, near Chiang Mai University, an area

frequented by U.S. citizens. Starting at approximately 17:00,

demonstrators assemble at Health Park, near the University's main

entrance. They plan to proceed down Huay Kaew Road to the intersection

of Nimmanhemin Road, then return to Health Park by 18:00.

These guys wont last a week. The traffic is bloody awful around that time. It will cause jams right back down into town and around the moat.

Tossers! The wife is going to be in a foul mood!!!! arrghhh! a fate worse than death!

Edited by whiterussian

I never said you posted rumours was just wanting confirmation. This is the quote from the Nation.

THE NATION: Tension rising in Chiang Mai. We've hrd reds have broken in2 provincial hall w/ sum tires, warning nothing shall happen 2 Bkk reds.

I suggest you tune into MCOT news also read their breaking news online. Maybe a nick change is order for you to "Thomas" :)

I suggest you tune into MCOT news also read their breaking news online. Maybe a nick change is order for you to "Thomas" :)

Thanks for the info MJ. :D

http://twitter.com/tulsathit

tulsathit 5. Brief tension in Chiang Mai, but reds have finally pulled back from provincial hall.

2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23redshirts

10027586: RT @veen_NT: Police Chiang Mai managed 2 stop about 100 reds led by DJ Uan in breaking in2 provincial hall & the group has left. #redshirts

Edited by whiterussian

I can see no reason to fear anything in Chiang Mai beyond some people demonstrating...

I have seen it all before because I have lived here for 25 years.

Don't worry :)

I have seen it all before because I have lived here for 25 years.

Don't worry :)

So have I, but you are dealing with split army and police factions, and an unpredictable mob. I see every reason to take extreme caution.

I think the 'unpredictable mob' is very predictable, hence, my lack of any real concern...