Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

Has the 'English' commentary found a work-around yet? is Tuskers having English commentary?

I could tell you where to get English commentary but my post would just be deleted as the place isn't Tuskers and TV don't want rival advertising to their paying customers (which I can understand):)

You can PM me with the details if you like!

Cheers

Richard

I think the place is Dragonfly Bar on Loi Kroh. It's on the right hand side when coming from the moat. I'm not that bothered about the commentary, but it's important that the place is willing to stay open real late, plus HD quality should be nice. And for those games that end up being boring it's good to have other distractions.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the 'English' commentary found a work-around yet? is Tuskers having English commentary?

I could tell you where to get English commentary but my post would just be deleted as the place isn't Tuskers and TV don't want rival advertising to their paying customers (which I can understand):)

Please PM me,

At the moment Tuskers cannot guarantee English commentary. We have a number of possible solutions involving listening to simultaneous radio commentary but there are technical problems with synchronising with the action on the screen. It the two are not married up it will be worse than useless. If Anders has solved this problem then very good luck to him. I will be running tests during the South Korea V Greece game to see if it can be achieved.

However I have been in contact with True and they are going to broadcast game noise with no commentary on the second audio channel (well at least they say the are :) ) which is what I will be showing if the English commentary does not work out. I am anticipating that for the big games at least the atmosphere will make commentary more or less redundant anyway.

If anyone is playing the official Fantasy World Cup game you are welcome to join our league at 120022-28267.

Excitement is definitely building and I can't wait for the opening on Friday.

HOME%20PAGE%20WC%20BANNER233.jpg

PM me please

> At the moment Tuskers cannot guarantee English commentary. We have a number of possible solutions involving listening to

> simultaneous radio commentary but there are technical problems with synchronising with the action on the screen.

Yes, big problems. A possible solution (in theory, I never tried it) would be to feed teh signal to a digital recorder first (any PC running the right software) and telling it to delay by enough seconds. This is assuming the audio feed is slower, if the other way around then you'd need to delay the audio feed. It's all pretty tricky.

However I have been in contact with True and they are going to broadcast game noise with no commentary on the second audio channel (well at least they say the are :) ) which is what I will be showing if the English commentary does not work out.

Ok, this is before coffee but may be the best idea I've had this month: Get someone who's reasonably qualified to do 'live' commentary. (Obviously only people who aren't really annoying). I think a 'team' works, well, possibly with one person supporting (within reason) the one team, and then the other commentator the other. This could either be excellent, or empty your bar in 5 minutes. :D

WTK

QUOTE (Fishenough @ 2010-06-03 18:10:17) So sad that the Stanley Cup isn't in HD. sad.gif

Or Moto GP, Or F1

I'm sure it will be soon. They had HD F1 on Sky Italia last year (although this year they seem to have abandoned F1 altogether - cost cutting I presume).

The Maple Leaf (opp. Guitarman) will doubtless be showing late games - advertising them anyway, and he's got HD.

Sports & Event Calendar - June 2010

Watched Game 4 and 5 (replayed) in HD, had the ASN logo along with the True HD logo on the screen. Will see Thursday morning if they do it live. Watched some of the French Open and saw one old World cup Qualifyer in HD as well, quality is excellent.

Keep an eye on the HD channel during the Canadian GP this weekend, seems they are using it to show major events from all the sports channels - if available in HD.

QUOTE (Fishenough @ 2010-06-03 18:10:17) So sad that the Stanley Cup isn't in HD. sad.gif

Or Moto GP, Or F1

I'm sure it will be soon. They had HD F1 on Sky Italia last year (although this year they seem to have abandoned F1 altogether - cost cutting I presume).

The Maple Leaf (opp. Guitarman) will doubtless be showing late games - advertising them anyway, and he's got HD.

Sports & Event Calendar - June 2010

Watched Game 4 and 5 (replayed) in HD, had the ASN logo along with the True HD logo on the screen. Will see Thursday morning if they do it live. Watched some of the French Open and saw one old World cup Qualifyer in HD as well, quality is excellent.

Keep an eye on the HD channel during the Canadian GP this weekend, seems they are using it to show major events from all the sports channels - if available in HD.

I watched game 5 live Tuesday morning in HD from 7- 10 (an excellent 11 goal game) so I'm pretty sure they will show games 6 and 7 as well.

And your right quality is super, and the better your TV the better it looks as well.

had a beer at tuskers tonight and my goodness that place looks fantastic for the world cup. flags and banners all round the bar, dedicated darkened room with a 50" plasma for the games, it looks absolutely brilliant. well looking forward to watching the world cup there now.

Sitting at the bar in Tuskers now and the new TV setup looks awesome.

No doubt for me I'll be watching it all here :)

are you sleeping in there till kick off? laugh.gif

Now thats an idea worth cosidering!

Wonder what time they serve breakfast?

Do you think I could bag a spot for the entire competition?

> At the moment Tuskers cannot guarantee English commentary. We have a number of possible solutions involving listening to

> simultaneous radio commentary but there are technical problems with synchronising with the action on the screen.

Yes, big problems. A possible solution (in theory, I never tried it) would be to feed teh signal to a digital recorder first (any PC running the right software) and telling it to delay by enough seconds. This is assuming the audio feed is slower, if the other way around then you'd need to delay the audio feed. It's all pretty tricky.

However I have been in contact with True and they are going to broadcast game noise with no commentary on the second audio channel (well at least they say the are :) ) which is what I will be showing if the English commentary does not work out.

Ok, this is before coffee but may be the best idea I've had this month: Get someone who's reasonably qualified to do 'live' commentary. (Obviously only people who aren't really annoying). I think a 'team' works, well, possibly with one person supporting (within reason) the one team, and then the other commentator the other. This could either be excellent, or empty your bar in 5 minutes. :D

WTK

I think that's a brilliant idea Winnie. Providing there's qualified people around, that could be heaps of fun, especially after everyone's had a few rounds. Make things a bit more interesting. Whatchya think Chaz?

I think that's a brilliant idea Winnie. Providing there's qualified people around, that could be heaps of fun, especially after everyone's had a few rounds. Make things a bit more interesting. Whatchya think Chaz?

It does sound fun and technically speaking it is easy to set up. However having done some commentary myself (very badly) I know it is very hard to do. And I did cricket which is somewhat slower than football. However if anyone wants to try it get in contact and we can have some tests during the early evening games. We could even have commentary competitions five minutes each with those present voting on the winmer. Might liven up a dull game.

Abnyone interested PM me and we'll work out some details.

I actually did the fanzone commentary during the 2003/2004 season for Leicester City om Skysports.....

Not sure on it working in a pub.... May get annoying for some customers, but with the right combination it could work, for some games.... Would need headphones for sure and a laptop would help to keep track of the BBC ticker or something so we could update fans/customers with subs, injuries and general riff raff....

QUOTE (bangkok blue @ 2010-05-23 12:58:30) Ye, I'm up for that.... Tuskers seem to be on the ball, so to speak. Chaz, the owner is on about having sports quiz etc... in-between matches.

Never watched a match in half moon, although heard bad reports about the staff there!

yea that's what I mean... the staff - the owner or managers 'wife or whatever' is really rude - I won't drink there

Tuskers is fine - not sure about 'inbetween matches' as they start at 1.30 or 2.00am and I can sit through one but not two (assuming you meant 2 matches following each other rather than days apart).

What do you do to make them rude? You must be a bundle of fun! I always find it one of the most friendly bars in town - with some nice friendly banter thrown in...

The Half Moon will definitely be my first choice to watch the games - with a good atmosphere guaranteed. I hope to not see you there... ph34r.gif

i reckon between vuvuzelas, crowd chanting and singing and localised noise from fans watching on tv in tuskers everyone is pretty soon going to forget about the commentary anyway. which is not to mention that 95% of commentators talk total horseshit. :)

QUOTE (bangkok blue @ 2010-05-23 12:58:30) Ye, I'm up for that.... Tuskers seem to be on the ball, so to speak. Chaz, the owner is on about having sports quiz etc... in-between matches.

Never watched a match in half moon, although heard bad reports about the staff there!

yea that's what I mean... the staff - the owner or managers 'wife or whatever' is really rude - I won't drink there

Tuskers is fine - not sure about 'inbetween matches' as they start at 1.30 or 2.00am and I can sit through one but not two (assuming you meant 2 matches following each other rather than days apart).

What do you do to make them rude? You must be a bundle of fun! I always find it one of the most friendly bars in town - with some nice friendly banter thrown in...

The Half Moon will definitely be my first choice to watch the games - with a good atmosphere guaranteed. I hope to not see you there... ph34r.gif

not 'them' just 'her' - and as you will note I'm not the only one - glad not to meet you too! unless the owner/manager has changed his 'wife' or whatever she is - several feel the same about that bar - I'm just reporting my experience.

a couple of noteworthy quotes from football commentators biggrin.gif

'He's 31 this year: last year he was 30.' - David Coleman

'The ageless Dennis Wise, now in his thirties.' - Martin Tyler

'The Italians are hoping for an Italian victory.' David Coleman

'Peru score their third, and It's 3-1 to Scotland.' David Coleman

'If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.' - David Coleman

'Ian Rush is deadly 10 times out of 10, but that wasn't one of them.' - Peter Jones

'Neil Sullivan has stopped absolutely everything have thrown at him...Wimbledon 1, Manchester United 1.' - Mike Ingham

'Emile Zola has scored again for Chelsea.' - Radio 5 live

'This will be their 19th consecutive game without a win unless they can get an equaliser.' - Alan Green

'Martin O'Neill, standing, hands on hips, stroking his chin.'

- Mike Ingham

'Such a positive move by Uruguay - bringing 2 players off and putting 2 players on.' - John Helm

'It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the scoreline on Saturday.'

- Radio 5 live

'The Uruguayans are losing no time in making a meal around the referee.' - Mike Ingham

'Poland nil, England nil, though England are now looking the better value for their nil.' - Barry Davies

'West Germany's Briegel hasn't been able to get past anyone yet - that's his trademark.' - John Helm

'You don't score 64 goals in 86 games without being able to score goals.' - Alan Green

'It's headed away by John Clark, using his head.' - Derek Rae

'Celtic manager Davie Hay still has a fresh pair of legs up his sleeve.'

- John Greig

'And with just 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0.' - Ian Darke

'The USA are a goal down, and if they don't get a goal they'll lose.'

- John Helm

'I predicted in August that Celtic would reach the final. On the eve of that final I stand by that prediction.' - Archie MacPherson

'McCarthy shakes his head in agreement with the referee.' - Martin Tyler

'It was the game that put the Everton ship back on the road.'

- Alan Green

'Lukic saved with his foot, which is all part of the goalkeeper's arm.'

- Barry Davies

'Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer.' - David Acfield

'Sporting Lisbon in their green and white hoops, looking like a team of zebras.' - Peter Jones

'Forest have now lost six matches without winning.' - David Coleman

I was just about to ask the same thing, I would have checked the comments on youtube before putting a link up to that page. :)

The comment after that even says your in Thailand. :D

Edited by thaimiller

I heard that Dragonfly bar are making a big effort to get English commentary, though they can't guarantee it at the moment.

Not sure how they are doing it, but the owner is about 98% sure at this moment in time. I'll pop along for the opening game and see.

They have just installed a 55" LED TV as well, which would be great if they get commentary too .:)

Hmm, will these places only show say UK/ European matches? What about Japan or S.Korea? I'm really interested in going out to watch the S.Korean matches on a nice big screen. :)

On another note... Anyone know where I can get the S.Korean jersey ( the white one. I hate the red one... looks like hot pink at times. lol )? I still havent gotten one yet in all these years. :/

Edited by Yunnie

Hmm, will these places only show say UK/ European matches? What about Japan or S.Korea? I'm really interested in going out to watch the S.Korean matches on a nice big screen. :)

On another note... Anyone know where I can get the S.Korean jersey ( the white one. I hate the red one... looks like hot pink at times. lol )? I still havent gotten one yet in all these years. :/

Tuskers will be screening any games in which there is interest. South Korea v Greece 6.30pm Saturday. Should be an interesting contrast of styles and both teams will fancy they have a chance of qualifying from Group B.

Japan v Cameroon on Monday at 9pm and I know lots of Dutch people that will be keeping an eye on that one.

That for me is the wonderful thing about the World Cup watching teams with totally different footballing cultures and styles battle it out.

Edited by miltonbentley

i'm hoping to watch every match this world cup same as i did in 2006. see you in tuskers for the greece match at 6.30pm saturday then. :D

the big sportsworld shop in kad suan kaew on the first floor had both home and away south korea shirts when i was in there last week.

Tuskers as stated by Milton Bentley

UN Irish Pub will be showing ALL games in HD, they have several TV's.

Dragonfly Bar (55" screen) might be.

You will be able to follow your favourite team somewhere. :D

Tuskers as stated by Milton Bentley

UN Irish Pub will be showing ALL games in HD, they have several TV's.

Dragonfly Bar (55" screen) might be.

You will be able to follow your favourite team somewhere. :D

Dragonfly will show all games