Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Thai Stock Exchange On Fire

Really, the SET is up? I think you mean up in flames.

Yes literally- Lol... far too much optimism in the Thai SET for me to invest in it... I was waiting for foreigners to pull out all their money from the SET long ago. The market is a puzzling game- played it for many years as a stockbroker in Aussie. :)

Current world news in scaring all us investor, yet whom is optimistic in Thailand future.

Remember the stockmarket is a guess of what that stock will be like in a year or 2. Depending on the sort of trader\investor you are.

Value wise and soverign risk wise I do not think the SET is worth it now. Yet the market thinks differently, so be it. If I can get it right a fraction over half the time then I am doing far better than most. :D

This year I have been underperforning with some great small cap companies in Aussie\China- hopefully this will change. Not the time for me to enter the SET again currently.

Thai big banks should do OK- yet not if the world economy comes to a halt again. I lost over 30 mil bt in the 2008 crash... game plan was to make it back again by 2012. Looking unlikely unless i get more risk adverse then of course the funds could swing either way...

Also the BT Vs Aussie dollar is puzzling- Aussie off 10%. Mostly commodities as Aussie economy mostly commodity based in large part, so the Aussie dollar under pressure against all currencies. Plus Aussies hiked up tax on commodity only companies, or trying too. All this leads to weak Aussie Vs BT. As you will find with other commodity based countries, Canada, Russia, etc. Aussie hardest hit due to supposed Super Tax on commodity only companies- it will never be passed however... Good buying opps in Aussie market IMO. Not Thai just yet... :D

Thailand is tourism, services and soft commodities mostly. SET 20% too high in my valuation....

Yes literally- Lol... far too much optimism in the Thai SET for me to invest in it... I was waiting for foreigners to pull out all their money from the SET long ago. The market is a puzzling game- played it for many years as a stockbroker in Aussie. :D

Current world news in scaring all us investor, yet whom is optimistic in Thailand future.

Remember the stockmarket is a guess of what that stock will be like in a year or 2. Depending on the sort of trader\investor you are.

Value wise and soverign risk wise I do not think the SET is worth it now. Yet the market thinks differently, so be it. If I can get it right a fraction over half the time then I am doing far better than most. :D

This year I have been underperforning with some great small cap companies in Aussie\China- hopefully this will change. Not the time for me to enter the SET again currently.

Thai big banks should do OK- yet not if the world economy comes to a halt again. I lost over 30 mil bt in the 2008 crash... game plan was to make it back again by 2012. Looking unlikely unless i get more risk adverse then of course the funds could swing either way...

Also the BT Vs Aussie dollar is puzzling- Aussie off 10%. Mostly commodities as Aussie economy mostly commodity based in large part, so the Aussie dollar under pressure against all currencies. Plus Aussies hiked up tax on commodity only companies, or trying too. All this leads to weak Aussie Vs BT. As you will find with other commodity based countries, Canada, Russia, etc. Aussie hardest hit due to supposed Super Tax on commodity only companies- it will never be passed however... Good buying opps in Aussie market IMO. Not Thai just yet... :D

Thailand is tourism, services and soft commodities mostly. SET 20% too high in my valuation....

interesting to read your comments jayinoz particularly if you are in the business full time.

The guy who lives in the condo next to me from Switzerland has a porfolio on the SET of about

12 million baht and every day he trades away making about 30,000 per month. But can you believe he is totally unhedged. :D

He is very confident ( maybe even stubborn :) ) in his belief the SET will not go down while i was showing him

yesterday how there are more and more posts predicting a crash on the DJIA. He has a huge graph on his wall showing the

movements of the SET including the huge dip in 2008/09 and I said to him yesterday surely its not impossible for the

SET to retrace to its previous low if the DJIA does fall steeply ? What do you think ?

One commentator said SET could reach 900 this year, but that was before the violence.

So after recent events, at around 750 surely there wouldnt be that much upside potential ? :D

Edited by midas

Yes literally- Lol... far too much optimism in the Thai SET for me to invest in it... I was waiting for foreigners to pull out all their money from the SET long ago. The market is a puzzling game- played it for many years as a stockbroker in Aussie. :)

AUD is off 10% cause it has tanked against the USD as well as a basket of other currencies due to global risk appetite drying up cause of EU debt worries. Nothing to do with the super tax (which is a good thing by the way - don't believe the hype from the mining companies, and I say this a mining advisor).

Yes literally- Lol... far too much optimism in the Thai SET for me to invest in it... I was waiting for foreigners to pull out all their money from the SET long ago. The market is a puzzling game- played it for many years as a stockbroker in Aussie. :D

interesting to read your comments jayinoz particularly if you are in the business full time.

The guy who lives in the condo next to me from Switzerland has a porfolio on the SET of about

12 million baht and every day he trades away making about 30,000 per month. But can you believe he is totally unhedged. :D

He is very confident ( maybe even stubborn :) ) in his belief the SET will not go down while i was showing him

yesterday how there are more and more posts predicting a crash on the DJIA. He has a huge graph on his wall showing the

movements of the SET including the huge dip in 2008/09 and I said to him yesterday surely its not impossible for the

SET to retrace to its previous low if the DJIA does fall steeply ? What do you think ?

One commentator said SET could reach 900 this year, but that was before the violence.

So after recent events, at around 750 surely there wouldnt be that much upside potential ? :D

They always say when there are bodies in the street, buy property. May be it is time to buy into Thailand, it may be profitable long term

AUD is off 10% cause it has tanked against the USD as well as a basket of other currencies due to global risk appetite drying up cause of EU debt worries. Nothing to do with the super tax (which is a good thing by the way - don't believe the hype from the mining companies, and I say this a mining advisor).

bingo! any crisis reduces risk appetite. in this case carry trades are unwound and losses are not compensated by commodity prices.

He is very confident ( maybe even stubborn :D ) in his belief the SET will not go down while i was showing him

They always say when there are bodies in the street, buy property. May be it is time to buy into Thailand, it may be profitable long term

who are " they " ....the real estate agents you mean ? :) Yea sure

With insurgency still in Thailand PLUS every Tom Dick and Harry calling for a downturn in the Dow Jones nothing

would convince me to take a long position on SET right now. :D

But I just wish you could trade options on individual shares on the SET instead of the index as a whole.