The Responsibility Of Ceiling Leaking?

I own a unit of a condo which is nearly 14 years old. The downstairs unit owner complained about leaking into her living room ceiling which is "assumed" from my balcony floor (open space solely used by me, but it keeps in its original status without any reform or rebuild). Without any further checking, the juristic person came and told me it's my responsibility to get it repaired. I suggested the downstairs owner to have a plumber to find out the cause of leaking and see if it turns out to come from my balcony indeed or if there's any other possible reason. I would take my responsibility after doubt checking by my plumber for sure. However, I got a letter from the juristic person claiming that they would repair it and bill it to my account….I'm concerned that shouldn't we figure out where the water comes from first? What if it comes from the outside vertical wall (quite a lot of cracks on it thanks to juristic person's maintenance..)? From the common pipe in the floor/ceiling between the two units? From natural weathering of the construction (in my country, both unit would share half for repairing under this circumstance unless either unit is negligent)? I'm also worry if my balcony is not the cause and I pay for it as they demand, I will have numerous bills to come since the leaking problem would still be there..... Is my request to seek the true cause and practical solvent too much?

Any experience sharing would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, this is Thailand, and they do what they dam_n well want. No point in advising you like it was farangland because none of it applies, you will just have to bite the bullet. Commiserations.

:)

Ask the juristic person to show why you are responsible in the condo CRR before you pay for it

I would find a good real estate attorney in Bangkok. Probably better to do that after you have consulted a plumber and gotten his opinion as to the cause and the cost of repairs. I'm not familiar with the term juristic person, is that someone from the Condo owners association? At least buy an hour of the attorneys time before you pay for something you probably should not be responsible for, especially if the plumber says the cost will be significant.

Sounds like the old you farang you pay crap to me. Unless the leakage is happening within your living area, you are not responsible for building drainage in the common areas, and the pipe itself is no doubt located within a common area.

This is not happening to farang only so don't start that all over again - the attitude shown here apply equally to Thais

Not checking the root cause and blaming the easiest one is standard, it's up to you if you want to accept the norm or if you want to fight it, it's 50/50 in the Thai world too

Good Luck

The bathroom above us was leaking onto our bathroom ceiling. Talked to the manager/juristic person and he talked to the owners above us. The plumber came in cut a hole in our bathroom ceiling replaced the defective pipe, resealed the ceiling and painted same. The condo owner above us footed the entire bill. No squabbling no problem. I'm farang they are Thai. :)

^same same my condo.

But the OP is right that they should determine where the leak is coming from and fix it, not just repair the ceiling.

no point undertaking repairs, until source of leak has been remedied !

I know that, you knw that, but TIT :)

"I own a unit of a condo which is nearly 14 years old..."

It would behoove you to familiarize yourself with the insurance policy for your building. Too, I suggest that you speak with the condo manager, rather than the Juristic person.

In our condo if such incidents occur the repair cost is paid from the common building fund.

Provided that the leak is not due to a custom modification that you've made. Then broken pipes or wall cracks are considered building maintenance.

But that's just my building, i guess different buildings have different rules on this topic.

During the last rainy reason, one of the condo windows leaked, and stained a wall that I was planning to paint. The condo's insurance policy paid me a lot more than the cost to repair the damage. Shortly thereafter, my upstairs neighbor remodeled 2 bathrooms. The contractor did a terrible job, and the tubs leaked into the ceilings of my bathrooms. The owner - not the condo - provided a cash settlement for that.

Thanks, everyone!

I don't see it in "Farang pays all" way, but certainly I don't pay for something I'm not liable. Now, juristic person told me I just need to pay "a little bit" for installing a channel to lead the water out of the window. Still, I don't think it would fix the problem permently.... Thus, I'm preparing a letter to request to clear the cause first of all. I'd try to update the progress later on. Appreciate each valuable opinion!

Cheers!