Touch Screen

basjke

What is the reason that other big phone manufacturers like Samsung or Nokia can't make a touch screen with a similar quality as the Iphone?

I wanted to buy a Samsung touch screen phone the other day and the salesman an certified samsung dealer said that it is not same as Apple.It works fine at first but after some time it will be hard to use.

Kudos to the guy for his honesty but what is the reason for this.For sure it can't be lack of funds for research and development.

I just dont think its a 100% accurate statement. Capacitive touchscreens are best but the Iphone is not the only phone with this. Some manufacturers use a different touch screen tech which is not as good, but cheaper to make.

My wife's Samsung Omnia though works just fine and she has had it for sometime. She does not complain about the screen at all, she was quite satisfied until she saw my new HTC Desire.

I just dont think its a 100% accurate statement. Capacitive touchscreens are best but the Iphone is not the only phone with this. Some manufacturers use a different touch screen tech which is not as good, but cheaper to make.

My wife's Samsung Omnia though works just fine and she has had it for sometime. She does not complain about the screen at all, she was quite satisfied until she saw my new HTC Desire.

Any idea how to find out which phones have capacitive screens and which not?

Motorola touch screen is a no goer, had mine for more than 2 years, the screen has been changed at a cost of 4000baht, and it is slowly becoming non responsive again.

Thought of getting a non touch screen phone, but like some of the new Nokias and also the Garmin Asus.

I noticed on the www.siamphone.com website it tells you if the screen is capacitive.

Go onto the website on the left click price list, then click the brand, you will see all the phones from that brand

click on the individual phones and usually under the spec it will tell you if it is capacitive.

I'm a recent HTC Desire owner, but i have to say you need to look at this phone if you are considering a touch screen. Its 2/3rd of the price of an iPhone and works exceptionally well... I liked the iPhone until i saw this phone... I haven't 'hacked' mine yet, but out-of-the-box its a better phone already.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a recent HTC Desire owner, but i have to say you need to look at this phone if you are considering a touch screen. Its 2/3rd of the price of an iPhone and works exceptionally well... I liked the iPhone until i saw this phone... I haven't 'hacked' mine yet, but out-of-the-box its a better phone already.

Actually I saw the phone owned by a Tv member at the pattaya party and indeed it looked nice.Can you explain why it has to be hacked as I understood that android is open source.

Also I still wonder why the dealer in Tukcom,who sells only Samsung,Nokia and Iphone,told me that there was no phone with the same quality touch screen as the Iphone.

Nokia will start selling their N8 soon, with proper touch screen and very very good spec camera. HD video recording and stuff....

Thinking of getting one but maybe will wait bit more until it is available with qwerty keypad.

In specs Nokia and others are way ahead of iphod. They only lack the hype and fanbase apple has mainly due the looks and quite clever user interface.

Nokia N8

• 1 month later...

Actually I saw the phone owned by a Tv member at the pattaya party and indeed it looked nice.Can you explain why it has to be hacked as I understood that android is open source.

Also I still wonder why the dealer in Tukcom,who sells only Samsung,Nokia and Iphone,told me that there was no phone with the same quality touch screen as the Iphone.

I'm thinking of buying one - i'd also like to know why it has to be hacked.

Some of the reasons are wireless tethering (WiFi, Bluetooth) and 720 video recording. However those reasons will be mute when Froyo (Android 2.2) comes out for the Desire this quarter as it will support the above.

Some of the reasons are wireless tethering (WiFi, Bluetooth) and 720 video recording. However those reasons will be mute when Froyo (Android 2.2) comes out for the Desire this quarter as it will support the above.

Isn't hacking illegal?

Isn't hacking illegal?

To be more accurate we are talking about rooting the phone, that is replacing the ROM/OS and at most will void the warranty. The Android OS is open system not like iPhone where they specifically state in their EULA it is not allowed due to copyright reasons.

• 1 month later...

I have had my 'hacked' Samsung Omnia i8910 for a year now. No problems at all with the screen.

I will be going for the new HTC Desire HD when it starts to ship in a couple of weeks. The specs look awesome.

Well, I will never go for HTC! Reason: Battery drain in 1 days...no difference which model...they are all same.

I m not insisting in Samsung and I suggest you whatever brands you plan to buy, choose the one with AMOLED LCD which preserves battery 20% more than normal LCDs and 20% brighter,too.

they are all same

I suspect you have too much running if that happens? I have been an HTC user for a few years, currently using a HTC Touch, and never had that problem. But then I make sure that I am not constantly connected to the Internet and only have the applications that I need running in the background.

they are all same

I suspect you have too much running if that happens? I have been an HTC user for a few years, currently using a HTC Touch, and never had that problem. But then I make sure that I am not constantly connected to the Internet and only have the applications that I need running in the background.

I have tried HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2 and HTC Mini. Honestly, it makes a little difference if you have running programs or internet connection etc...I am not a fan of Samsung. But I m really impressed with my current Omnia II ( I8000 ) while everyday I watch movies and my internet is connected 24hours and it lasts 4 days to recharge!

I suggest Samsung Omnia 2 (I8000)with best/longest battery life. It keeps 4 days power when I watch movies everyday.

I have had a Samsung Omnia and a Samsung Galaxy Spica GT15700 Android. Did not like either phone and just could not use them in the way l wanted mainly because due to the lack of my technical knowledge. I have advertised the Samsung Galaxy for sale in the TV classified section as l have now purchased a HTC Smart which so much easier to understand and use. It has all the facilities l need

I suggest Samsung Omnia 2 (I8000)with best/longest battery life. It keeps 4 days power when I watch movies everyday.

I have had a Samsung Omnia and a Samsung Galaxy Spica GT15700 Android. Did not like either phone and just could not use them in the way l wanted mainly because due to the lack of my technical knowledge. I have advertised the Samsung Galaxy for sale in the TV classified section as l have now purchased a HTC Smart which so much easier to understand and use. It has all the facilities l need

Your point refers to technical knowledge...I have heard Samsung Galaxy runs out of battery quickly if "Live Wallpaper" is on.