Thai Stocks For Mid To Long Term Investors

Givn the increase in US markets last night (first in 9 days) AND the futures in europe (FTSE is up) AND the possibility of further QE3 type mechanism AND the drop of the last few days and now high potential for buying the dips accross global stock markets- i decided to re enter the SET- just bought KBANK - largest single purchase i have made of any stock anywhere- aim to sell in coming days..

Anyone else jumping back into the SET?

Bought KBANK one month ago at 132.50. had both price action and volume so I had to take it. Initial stop at 114 and now at 125 so if it close below 125 any day I drop it the next morning. Foreign money running away from SET at the moment so have to see but my stops are in place so should come out with a profit for the portfolio, I hope...

I basically lost all the gains i got on the SET so far the year so i'm even in terms of Thai stocks in 2011, which isn't bad given the on-going crash. Now just waiting for snap up KBANK and PTTCH , but will be few more days yet likely, given the 6% drop in US last night and 5% drops this morning in Asia...

Put alot more in Gold yesterday,,,

Edited by ExpatJ

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday morning i thought it might be good SET buying opportunity given big increase in the DOW- so actually placed orders ...then canceled them just before the opening...glad i did that!

Also shifted another 3% of my portfolio into gold end of last week, also a good move i think.

Well today i'm jumping back into Thai stocks- KBANK, PTTCH, ADVANC (Advanc's XD date is tomorrow so will get a nice return immediately on that)- i think in short term they will increase (before EURO troubles reignite in the coming weeks/months)

• 4 weeks later...

Well today i'm jumping back into Thai stocks- KBANK, PTTCH, ADVANC (Advanc's XD date is tomorrow so will get a nice return immediately on that)- i think in short term they will increase (before EURO troubles reignite in the coming weeks/months)

Any holding ADVANC/AIS? Massive jump in price today- very happy with my advanc play- bought last month just before the dividend and now this big increase. Unfortunately KBANK, PTTCH which i bought at same time as ADVANC have not done well.

Stocks look terrible in the short term- with this looming EURO crisis- i am now waiting for the right time to cash out about half my thai stocks..

Where can you see the schedule of all the XD's?

• 6 months later...

I thought i'd revive this thread- used to be very useful for swapping info a year or so ago....

I guess other investors in Thai stocks had a similar ride as me over the last year- big drops during mid -end 2011 but his year has been much better and my thai portfolio is now +5% overall. In the middle of the crisis last year I managed to lose 6000 US$ in 24 hours by buying kbank when i thought the market had hit bottom, then seeing it fall even further and panic selling it , ugh!. Lesson learned, dont try and time a falling market, better to wait until its on the way back up again even if it means losing out on a few baht profit. (Having said that i made @6000 $ in profit in early 2011 so i broke even for the year as a whole).

I made one of my sweetest trades ever this month using my trade system- As some of you may know i have a list of 10-15 expatj blue chip growth stocks (selected with my own combo of indicators- will share this info on my website soon) and i determine when to buy them using technical analysis (RSI, moving averages, bollinger bands) and then sell 1-4 weeks later normally. So March 3 i see GFPT hits close to 30 RSI and i note its dividend date is april 2 (meaning price is likely to also rise as people buy into it for the dividend payment)- today, March 29, i sold and took a 1000 US$ profit. Earlier this week i tried to sell at an even higher price but the volume was just not there (be careful if you invest significant money some thai stocks are very illiquid)

How is everyone getting on?

We had a rather dull year with Thai equities exposure on investments in 2011:

- The largest mutual fund we have (Aberdeen Growth) was up 9% in 2011, as was Aberdeen's LTF.

- ING Thai Big Cap mutual fund paid a nice dividend of around 7%, but was down about 6% on the capital side, for only a slight gain

- ING's Thai Good Governance fund was down 5% and ING Thai Equity fund down 6%

The weighted average came out around 3.75% so not much to write home about, but not too bad given cash rates and the SET was down slightly. Nice to pick up the 30%+ tax relief on new investments into LTFs too, which added THB 100k+ on top of the 3.75%

In 2012, they've been off to a nice start ranging between 19% to 21% year to date, a few points above the SET

I was actually thinking of trading individual Thai stocks in 2012, with more time on my hands, so this thread would be of interest, although with current market levels around 1200, market P/E of around 14, and general global conditions + a good run up already this year short term trading doesn't look particularly attractive to me at the moment.

I'd be happy to be honest if Thai equities hold this level, and although there's a likely chance of going higher this year, there's also a risk of a correction. As is would fulfil my double digits objectives for 2011/2012 as has done for the last decade or so...

Long term investing still look like a good story...

That's where I'm up to for Thailand equity exposures

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

While waiting for more attractive entry levels for trading individual Thai stocks, I also tried buying SET50 put options on TFEX for Sep and Dec settlement, as there's a good chance of a correction from these levels at some point. The Thai equity options market looks very thin though, with very few offers for these dates, so nothing came of the bids on the trades I entered and they just lapsed. Disappointing really

Anyone else had better luck with trading Thai SET50 options, the markets look very thin with only the current 3 months and next 3 months anything remotely interesting.

:)

this is a view from MPMG ( just to keep under ones hat ! )

'I think that one of the key things, though, if we look at the world from a Thai Baht perspective is that when we enter into the last phase of the crisis as it were, (and like anybody else I don't know if it's going to happen this year or next year - all I know is that we believe it's absolutely certain to happen at some stage), America's debt has to be dealt with at some point. Europe's debt at some point has to be dealt with. Japan's debt has to be dealt with, and that really means a big crisis resulting in an equity market collapse. We're expecting equity markets to fall by at least 30%, possibly 40% globally – in the States but in Thailand as well, but at that point, in a liquidity crisis, a market panic and a market collapse, we're also expecting there to be a real flight to the US Dollar. It's the easiest currency to buy. Wherever you are in the world and whatever you're selling, the US Dollar is the easiest currency to go and buy. In 2008, we gave a prediction at the start of that year that we saw Baht moving back up. During 2007 the trend had been the Baht moving down from the low 30s and possibly slightly lower, and we gave a prediction at the start of that year that we saw the Baht would move up to something like 35, but it actually went up to around 36. We think that the 2012/2013 period could well be a repeat of that, so when we get really mired in the depths of the crisis, when we see equity markets come crashing down, when we see the gold price peak, at that point, we wouldn't be surprised to see the Baht weaken to something like 35 or 36, maybe even worse than that, against the US Dollar, so for investors who are looking to exploit currency opportunities, whilst the Baht is undoubtedly, over time, likely to keep getting stronger against the Dollar, there is this short-term tactical opportunity to look out for of something like a 20% gain in the US Dollar or a 20% fall in the Thai Baht. When that happens, that's really the time to be loading up on Baht and Baht assets. At that stage, the Thai currency is looking like a very interesting proposition, and we also expect that at that stage, the SET is going to be at something like 650, and that's a really good time to be loading up on the SET as well.”

http://www.mbmg-international.com/Outlook-and-Solutions-ind0-tid469.aspx

Hi fletch

Do you know if there are any Thai etf 'short' funds out there? I also expect a correction ad want to take advantage

Not as far as I know, as I've looked at that in the past. Just did a search again via my UK broker and nothing new came up either.

TEFX does futures but I'm not really a fan of margin trading on the Thai market as timing is always difficult here, and there's a risk of them moving against you quickly with high impact. Timing is difficult in any market but Thailand particularly so, with over the years coups, floods, Tsuanmis, etc etc and there always seems to be something unexpected pops up. The long term story continues on and is there but short term is tough. That's why I was interested in the put options on SET50.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought BANPU, ADVANC and HANA this morning- all of them have low RSIs (@30). I'm hoping that the news of no double dip recession in UK plus hopefully some good earnings reports out of the states later today will help push up the stock market for at least 2-4 weeks and let me reap the reward when the RSIs are up around 70. I'm also betting that the EU financial institutions will step up purchases of Spanish bonds to push the rates on those below 6% again (which would really trigger a nice rally in stocks).

I bought BANPU, ADVANC and HANA this morning- all of them have low RSIs (@30). I'm hoping that the news of no double dip recession in UK plus hopefully some good earnings reports out of the states later today will help push up the stock market for at least 2-4 weeks and let me reap the reward when the RSIs are up around 70. I'm also betting that the EU financial institutions will step up purchases of Spanish bonds to push the rates on those below 6% again (which would really trigger a nice rally in stocks).

Forgive my ignorance ExpatJ (and for not reading the previous 18 pages) but what is RSI (Relatve strength indicator?) and based on what as something moving from 30 to 70 in 2-4 weeks seems a tad volatile?

Forgive my ignorance ExpatJ (and for not reading the previous 18 pages) but what is RSI (Relatve strength indicator?) and based on what as something moving from 30 to 70 in 2-4 weeks seems a tad volatile?

RSI is an indactor which shows if a stock is over sold (RSI@30) or over bought RSI @ 70- its the most common technical analysis indicator used globally but seems to work more in emerging markets than in US/EU.

from a post a few days ago that i wrote:

I made one of my sweetest trades ever this month using my trade system- As some of you may know i have a list of 10-15 expatj blue chip growth stocks (selected with my own combo of indicators- will share this info on my website soon) and i determine when to buy them using technical analysis (RSI, moving averages, bollinger bands) and then sell 1-4 weeks later normally. So March 3 i see GFPT hits close to 30 RSI and i note its dividend date is april 2 (meaning price is likely to also rise as people buy into it for the dividend payment)- today, March 29, i sold and took a 1000 US$ profit. Earlier this week i tried to sell at an even higher price but the volume was just not there (be careful if you invest significant money some thai stocks are very illiquid)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good thread and it would be cool to restart it. I recently just got into stocks about a month ago and bought mainly the big companies. mostly industrial, an airline,and some agricultural, but not many in the ICT companies esp mobile phone operators.

I really wanna get into ADVANC (and also DTAC) (and also INTUCH) but they seem overpriced. I recently sold TRUE because of their debt and cash flow.

Any thoughts?

Short term trading in the Thai market generally on individual stock names still doesn't feel that attractive to me given valuation levels. The long term story is still there though. The longer term investments (as distinct from short term trading) I have via Thai mutual funds are up over 20% YTD, so I don't feel any need to chase returns either.

As above I'd been looking for opportunities to protect returns already made or generate positive returns if markets fall. On that front:

-The TFEX futures market still isn't really my cup of tea.

-The TFEX options market doesn't seem that liquid for anything other than the current 3m (June) contracts at the moment. I've been looking at buying put options for (preferably) Dec, but there's almost nothing there.

With that in mind I've started dipping my toes into writing/ selling SET50 options with a few small trades to see how things go. Previously I'd stuck to buying options as your downside is limited to your initial premium. Starting with (reasonably far) out of the money options, it's a step towards greater risk in the risk spectrum to acheive what I wanted, but given the the lack of alternatives and using far out of the money options, should hopefully prove measured on a small scale.

So far I've taken a couple of small premiums on writing the options:

1) Sold Put Options@710 for June settlement - so SET50 needs to fall by 16% or so before I start to lose money, but looks reasonably remote. There aren't even currently any sensible trades in the system on either the bid or offer side below 750 so the market seems to agree with me.

2) Sold Call Options@900 for June settlement - SET50 has been creeping closer to that in the last few days, and is now around 6% below 900, so looks possible it could crystallise but still some way to go.

Of the 2, while the first looks the more certain winner in isolation, but the second call option is a better fit for what I was trying to achieve. As:

a) If the market falls I keep the premium received on writing the call = the gain I wanted

b ) If the market rises above 900, yes I lose on the call option, but the position is more than covered by the long term investments I have in mutual funds which dwarf these test trades, and I'd be very happy with an extra 6% returns on my long positions above the 20% to date in return for losing a bit on options.

c) Of course it would be impossible to lose on both option positions above given the SET50 index can't end both below 710 and above 900 at the same time on 28June settlement

So summarising where I'm up to:

- Don't feel attracted to individual Thai stock positions at these levels

- Long the market via large mutual fund positions held with a long term view

- Happy writing far out of the money put options to generate some extra income, with a view to closing them out if things suddenly collpased

- Happy writing out of the money call options to generate some extra income, given my long positions positively correlated covering the calls

- Next step: might consider looking at some options on individual name stocks.

Nightmare scenario of course would be a sudden 20%+ collapse in the SET50 market... smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Short term trading in the Thai market generally on individual stock names still doesn't feel that attractive to me given valuation levels. The long term story is still there though. The longer term investments (as distinct from short term trading) I have via Thai mutual funds are up over 20% YTD, so I don't feel any need to chase returns either.

As above I'd been looking for opportunities to protect returns already made or generate positive returns if markets fall. On that front:

-The TFEX futures market still isn't really my cup of tea.

-The TFEX options market doesn't seem that liquid for anything other than the current 3m (June) contracts at the moment. I've been looking at buying put options for (preferably) Dec, but there's almost nothing there.

With that in mind I've started dipping my toes into writing/ selling SET50 options with a few small trades to see how things go. Previously I'd stuck to buying options as your downside is limited to your initial premium. Starting with (reasonably far) out of the money options, it's a step towards greater risk in the risk spectrum to acheive what I wanted, but given the the lack of alternatives and using far out of the money options, should hopefully prove measured on a small scale.

So far I've taken a couple of small premiums on writing the options:

1) Sold Put Options@710 for June settlement - so SET50 needs to fall by 16% or so before I start to lose money, but looks reasonably remote. There aren't even currently any sensible trades in the system on either the bid or offer side below 750 so the market seems to agree with me.

2) Sold Call Options@900 for June settlement - SET50 has been creeping closer to that in the last few days, and is now around 6% below 900, so looks possible it could crystallise but still some way to go.

Of the 2, while the first looks the more certain winner in isolation, but the second call option is a better fit for what I was trying to achieve. As:

a) If the market falls I keep the premium received on writing the call = the gain I wanted

b ) If the market rises above 900, yes I lose on the call option, but the position is more than covered by the long term investments I have in mutual funds which dwarf these test trades, and I'd be very happy with an extra 6% returns on my long positions above the 20% to date in return for losing a bit on options.

c) Of course it would be impossible to lose on both option positions above given the SET50 index can't end both below 710 and above 900 at the same time on 28June settlement

So summarising where I'm up to:

- Don't feel attracted to individual Thai stock positions at these levels

- Long the market via large mutual fund positions held with a long term view

- Happy writing far out of the money put options to generate some extra income, with a view to closing them out if things suddenly collpased

- Happy writing out of the money call options to generate some extra income, given my long positions positively correlated covering the calls

- Next step: might consider looking at some options on individual name stocks.

Nightmare scenario of course would be a sudden 20%+ collapse in the SET50 market... smile.png

The SET has returned slightly lower YTD (around 19%) than your mutual fund, but that should even out when you take into account fees.

I also feel like many individual stocks are overpriced, but I still believe there are stocks that are overlooked out there.

I am def NOT a short term speculator/trader but I still want to buy the stocks at good prices...

The SET has returned slightly lower YTD (around 19%) than your mutual fund, but that should even out when you take into account fees.

I also feel like many individual stocks are overpriced, but I still believe there are stocks that are overlooked out there.

I am def NOT a short term speculator/trader but I still want to buy the stocks at good prices...

The figures I quoted are actually net of charges or more accurately bid to bid, as any small spread/charging on buying was absorbed years ago - so represents exactly the gain I'd have between 31 Dec and now. Surprisingly mutual funds in Thailand don't charge exorbitant fees compared to many places - Singapore especially springing to mind. The numbers also exclude any tax benefit too. For some they are LTFs were I got 37% tax relief up front, in which case paying THB 63 on every THB 100 you've taken out, including the 50%+ gain on investment, is not really fair to compare apples with apples.

Yes I'm sure there'll be opportunities out there. For me it's more a case of I look top down first at markets and then look for the individual stocks, so there are more interesting places than Thailand. Not to say that individual stocks don't peak my interest tho sometimes and then I look from the other way round first :)

Hence any individual picks ideas from anyone and why this thread would be of interest :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

CPALL is quite a good growth stock according to my criteria.

I sold all my Thai stocks last month- got rid of some real dogs that have been bringing my portfolio down over the last two years (TTA minus 30% since i bought it!)- so i sold but am still +12% in last half a year. But the real reason i sold is that there seems to be periodic big falls in the stock markets in the last few months due to European uncertainty and faltering US economy. My plan now is to wait for the next dip and then buy stocks that are on my own personal expat blue chip growth stocks list (about 10 of them including PTTGC, KBANK, ADVANC, LANNA, MAJOR) AND that have RSIs of 30-40- i then buy and sell normally 2-4 weeks later when the RSI is up to 60-80 (this has got me some tidy profits in the last few months). By only doing this with my blue chip growth stocks, if my technical analysis is wrong, then there is excellent probability that the price will in any case increase in the next few months because they are quality companies.

The problem is that even if there is a dip in stocks markets there is normally only 0-1 stocks on my list that reach RSI 30-40 level- so i have I have also opened a trading account with HSBC singapore to give me access to Singapore and Hong Kong stocks to give me more buying options.

I sold all my Thai stocks last month- got rid of some real dogs that have been bringing my portfolio down over the last two years (TTA minus 30% since i bought it!)- so i sold but am still +12% in last half a year. But the real reason i sold is that there seems to be periodic big falls in the stock markets in the last few months due to European uncertainty and faltering US economy. My plan now is to wait for the next dip and then buy stocks that are on my own personal expat blue chip growth stocks list (about 10 of them including PTTGC, KBANK, ADVANC, LANNA, MAJOR) AND that have RSIs of 30-40- i then buy and sell normally 2-4 weeks later when the RSI is up to 60-80 (this has got me some tidy profits in the last few months). By only doing this with my blue chip growth stocks, if my technical analysis is wrong, then there is excellent probability that the price will in any case increase in the next few months because they are quality companies.

The problem is that even if there is a dip in stocks markets there is normally only 0-1 stocks on my list that reach RSI 30-40 level- so i have I have also opened a trading account with HSBC singapore to give me access to Singapore and Hong Kong stocks to give me more buying options.

Does HSBC Singapore do online trading yet? I remember reading on here it was telephone only.

What do you use for your source on Singapore stocks? I find info quite limited. BBerg shows very little, as does SGX itself.I only hold 3 Singapore stocks:

GLP/ MCO

UEM/ U04

Purchases mainly in Oct/Nov/Dec so sat on some nice gains of about 25% on each, after having taken some profits trading ranges along the way.

SGL/ E6E recently bought and down about 5%

Edited by fletchsmile

Does HSBC Singapore do online trading yet? I remember reading on here it was telephone only.

What do you use for your source on Singapore stocks? I find info quite limited. BBerg shows very little, as does SGX itself.I only hold 3 Singapore stocks:

GLP/ MCO

UEM/ U04

Purchases mainly in Oct/Nov/Dec so sat on some nice gains of about 25% on each, after having taken some profits trading ranges along the way.

Hi

Currently HSBC on allows for telephone only trading- but they said they are eventually rolling out an online trading platform...What do you use for your singapore stocks?

Yes i am struggling to find a stock screener- ft.com allows for searches by some economic factors but not technical analysis. But since my strategy relies on selecting a dozen or so growth stocks (using ft.com tool) i can then check those stocks RSI/MACD etc individually on bloomberg on a daily/weekly basis.

Hi

Currently HSBC on allows for telephone only trading- but they said they are eventually rolling out an online trading platform...What do you use for your singapore stocks?

Yes i am struggling to find a stock screener- ft.com allows for searches by some economic factors but not technical analysis. But since my strategy relies on selecting a dozen or so growth stocks (using ft.com tool) i can then check those stocks RSI/MACD etc individually on bloomberg on a daily/weekly basis.

I use Standard Chartered. Allows you to trade US, AUS, UK as well as Singapore + around half a dozen others.

On the plus side:

- it links nicely with my various currency bank accounts held with them, so I can add/ withdraw money from the securities settlement account easily.

- it's online

On the minus side:

- pretty crude and basic system

- prices are not real time and delayed about 15mins, so you can't see the actual price you're trading at quoted if using "at market" - although you can set buy/sell limits/ stop losses etc instead of trading at market. Otherwise if trading at market you have to use other sources for real time pricing

- can be annoying for getting timed out as you have to wait 15 minutes if not careful to get in again.

- seems to have a lot of minor glitches that crop up from time to time - although they seem to self correct

It's OK for executing trades online and that's about it. It's really the bare minimum. Definitely wouldn't suit a day trader where timing and intra day trades are key. Not too bad for trading where timing is less critical or if investing or longer timeframes.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

• 5 weeks later...

Let's see where we are after the Greek elections. I may start to be a little more interested in individual Thai stocks.

Quite like the look of Sansiri property (SIRI) - nice dividend yield - just under 7%, undemanding P/E and P/B.

http://www.set.or.th...e=en&country=US

Meanwhile I've been happy with the options trades I've built up for June settlement, which will nicely cover the Greek June elections. Only small, and not the way I originally intended, but I've been writing puts to generate a small income, and then buying puts as the markets market move to hedge/close out. This has allowed me to build up some protection over a risky period, with the put options bought being funding by put options sold, and profits realised.

I now have a nice little portfolio of options that will be profitable at any price for SET50 above 680 (or about 13% below today's levels), with the largest pay-offs to me if SET50 goes down to 710-720 range. If it falls below 670 I start to lose money though, but I figured that's worth the risk.

Of course I'm still mainly long via unit trusts/mutual funds...

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

GLP/ MCO

UEM/ U04

Hi

I find that surprising as HSBC offer online trading in UK and HK.

However you might want to look at the independent trading platform boom: https://baby.boom.com.hk/en/

Let's see where we are after the Greek elections. I may start to be a little more interested in individual Thai stocks.

Quite like the look of Sansiri property (SIRI) - nice dividend yield - just under 7%, undemanding P/E and P/B.

http://www.set.or.th...e=en&country=US

Meanwhile I've been happy with the options trades I've built up for June settlement, which will nicely cover the Greek June elections. Only small, and not the way I originally intended, but I've been writing puts to generate a small income, and then buying puts as the markets market move to hedge/close out. This has allowed me to build up some protection over a risky period, with the put options bought being funding by put options sold, and profits realised.

I now have a nice little portfolio of options that will be profitable at any price for SET50 above 680 (or about 13% below today's levels), with the largest pay-offs to me if SET50 goes down to 710-720 range. If it falls below 670 I start to lose money though, but I figured that's worth the risk.

Of course I'm still mainly long via unit trusts/mutual funds...

smile.png

Interesting pick with Sansiri - good brand and as u said good dividend, and good P/E and P/B. I dont know much about it in detail, but one problem that i know is the large debt ratio - but at least theyre making profit unlike True blink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Think resources stocks had been beaten down to attractive valuations..

When sentiments recovers, Chinese factories will be back at breakneck speed churning out goods..

Resources e.g. coal will be back in high demand