Bars With World Cup With English Commentary

madmitch

This appears to have been done to death on this forum but there has been nothing specifically for Phuket.

We know that Thai terrestrial TV and Truevisions won't have English commentary so it would be good if anyone finds bars or any other public places with English commentary to name them in this thread.

Looking forward to a huge list after tonight's opening game!

Those that ponied up for High Def boxes before the WC seem to be fairly pissed.

Those that ponied up for high def just have to turn down the volume on the TV and feed english commentary from the internet OR from Astro on cable into their sound system and voila - high def picture with english commentary. Simple.

Any bar in Rawai/Nai Harn with Rawai Cable (not sure about KPP or Phuket Cable) get english commentary on Astro Supersport (its channel 26, I think).

"Those that ponied up for high def just have to turn down the volume on the TV and feed english commentary from the internet OR from Astro on cable into their sound system and voila - high def picture with english commentary. Simple."

..........providing you can get the audio to sync with the video.

Its freakin' commentary - not lip-syncing!!! LOL

Yes, very droll.........but when you're watching a player run up to take a penalty yet you've already heard that he has missed, it kind of takes away from the enjoyment. Believe me, I've experienced this. Admittedly, not as likely for the audio to be so far ahead when coming via internet (more likely to be lagging satellite video perhaps?) but certainly happens if listening via short wave radio (not that anyone seems to bother with the radio these days).

Its freakin' commentary - not lip-syncing!!! LOL

Yes, very droll.........but when you're watching a player run up to take a penalty yet you've already heard that he has missed, it kind of takes away from the enjoyment. Believe me, I've experienced this. Admittedly, not as likely for the audio to be so far ahead when coming via internet (more likely to be lagging satellite video perhaps?) but certainly happens if listening via short wave radio (not that anyone seems to bother with the radio these days).

Are these sync issues related to Astro box or the True / UBC High Def box.

I have all my TV sources in a media PC so the TV is routed as an MPEG data stream to the media center software. I dont see any lip sync issues.

Are these sync issues related to Astro box or the True / UBC High Def box.

I have all my TV sources in a media PC so the TV is routed as an MPEG data stream to the media center software. I dont see any lip sync issues.

If you try and sync the Thai TV broadcast with a radio broadcast such as Radio 5 Live it is very hard. I tried it and the Radio is about 5 seconds ahead of the satellite broadcast.

Astro Supersports are not showing all the games so its not exactly a great option either. I have been watching my games on ITV player and BBCi Player connected through my TV, works nicely.

If you try and sync the Thai TV broadcast with a radio broadcast such as Radio 5 Live it is very hard. I tried it and the Radio is about 5 seconds ahead of the satellite broadcast.

Astro Supersports are not showing all the games so its not exactly a great option either. I have been watching my games on ITV player and BBCi Player connected through my TV, works nicely.

I got all excited about iPlayer last year, and have no problems paying for a 'service' to get the UK IP..

But none of the services I used could stream live without breaking up.. My net here is fast enough, but the combination of my net here, and the service, wouldnt do live. Was OK to overnight download the funnies (have I got news, mock the week, etc) but I really wanted the 6 nations and they didnt have broadcast rights to host that only stream it.

If you have a service I would love to know about it by PM.. Again dont mind paying a fair sum to enable it.

Their channel guide says they do not have every match and the opening match SA vs Mexico wasnt shown on Astro Supersports in the sports bar in Kata that I was in. Maybe now they are airing them all? Can anyone confirm 100%

Phuket Cable has had the games on Astro from day one, KPP started this week. They are the two major players. So the bars without English commentary now are those with only Truevisions, including some that paid out a large amount for HD.

That's assuming of course that there is no sudden crackdown banning the cable companies from showing the games (like the EPL).

Their channel guide says they do not have every match and the opening match SA vs Mexico wasnt shown on Astro Supersports in the sports bar in Kata that I was in. Maybe now they are airing them all? Can anyone confirm 100%

Phuket Cable has had the games on Astro from day one, KPP started this week. They are the two major players. So the bars without English commentary now are those with only Truevisions, including some that paid out a large amount for HD.

That's assuming of course that there is no sudden crackdown banning the cable companies from showing the games (like the EPL).

From what i was hearing last night,karon cable had astro with english commentary for the first 4 days,kata cable didnt,but since monday kata cable now does,so that would run true with the above post.

Fingers crossed now by all parties they don't pull the plug.

PST.

Edited by PST