Thai Police To Impose Severe Penalty For Violators Of Alcohol Act

webfact

Police to impose severe penalty for violators of Alcohol Act

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The police is prepared to utilize strict measures to penalize violators against restricted alcohol distribution in public utilities.

The policy, under the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008 prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks. The policy, stated in the Royal Gazette yesterday will be fully enforced today.

Metropolitan Police Bureau spokesman Pol Maj Gen Piya Utayo has assured that the police authorities are prepared to enforce severe action to violators of the law. Violators arrested will be fined 3,000 THB while violators who face an arrest for the second time will be fined 6,000 THB and those arrested for the third time 10,000 THB. Violators arrested for selling alcohol to minors under 20 years old will be fined 6,000 THB, 12,000 THB and 20,000 respectively.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Alcohol Beverage and Tobacco Control Committee is coordinating with the Department of Disease Control to establish a committee to adjust and modify the alcohol policy to increase its severity.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-06-16 footer_n.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violators arrested for selling alcohol to minors under 20 years old will be fined 6,000 THB, 12,000 THB and 20,000 respectively

so that is every bar, club, 7 - 11 , family mart and mom and pop store in thailand ....

and the fine for not paying the fine ? most probably half the price...

just another excuse for tea money

>Police to impose severe penalty for violators of Alcohol Act

Yeah....[YAWN]....yet another meanless announcement of the enforcement never-to-be-enforced, but to gather more tips with official-looking excuse... Hey, BiBs, why not to focus on something REALLY important to this country??

The question is rhetoric, of course...and Thais were drink, drinking now and will be drinking of course.

Just because there is NO LOGIC on this "law", and no strong hand to enforce ANY law (whatever it may describe). Even me myself know where to get alcohol during banned hours (or even 24/7) - just across my Soi - how could Thais do not know that and even much better than me? :)

• Like 1

Meanwhile all the important issues are conveniently forgotten.

No, they are not forgotten. A commission is usually created to study the important issues in detail and make recommendations. It's just the government never takes action on the details and recommendations when the commission makes its report a couple years later. But then a new government is in power and since the commission was not setup by that new goverment, the commission report is sold for scrape. But never fear, the new government starts a new commission with its own people on it. The cycle continues.

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The police is prepared to utilize strict measures to penalize violators against restricted alcohol distribution in public utilities.

by definition a public utility is a phone company, water company, gas company but not what they are talking about. :)

"... prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks... "

After being here for years can't remember ever seeing any for sale in these places! But the fine will really deter me - 3,000, wow - heavy man!!!

ohmy.gif

"... prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks... "

After being here for years can't remember ever seeing any for sale in these places! But the fine will really deter me - 3,000, wow - heavy man!!!

ohmy.gif

The Pharmacy in our village sells beer and probably will continue to do so.

It would make perfectly good sense for this website not to make any mention anymore about crackdowns. Just mention that Thailand is a banana republic, and that in banana republics every time when they has been a change in government or when a cabinet reshuffle have taken place in order to leave the opportunity for other interest groups to steal a bit more from the Thai people, there will be a new policy a new crackdown that always comes with blackmail and money demands.

I am not sure but I would think that their is also a new minister for injustice in Thailand. Just mention next time: New ministers on the block, new crackdowns, keep change in your pocket.

ohmy.gif

The Pharmacy in our village sells beer and probably will continue to do so.

No it is the new cabinet. new people means new policies. New policies in thailand means doing things the way they have done if for over 100 years, crackdown stealing and going back to a winter sleep after three months, in order to wait for a new person to take over after which the cycle will repeat itself. It are the hallmarks of a failed state.

Yeah....[YAWN]....yet another meanless announcement of the enforcement never-to-be-enforced, but to gather more tips with official-looking excuse... Hey, BiBs, why not to focus on something REALLY important to this country??

The question is rhetoric, of course...and Thais were drink, drinking now and will be drinking of course.

Just because there is NO LOGIC on this "law", and no strong hand to enforce ANY law (whatever it may describe). Even me myself know where to get alcohol during banned hours (or even 24/7) - just across my Soi - how could Thais do not know that and even much better than me? :)

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy. I'm not surprsied that some people on this forum disagreee, as alcohol seems to be the meaning of life to some of them.

Meanwhile all the important issues are conveniently forgotten.

Anyone know what the fine is for getting caught stealing 6 beers? Might be less than selling 6 beers illegally so do illegal vendors a favor and steal your beer! Stupid laws. I mean what's wrong with buying a beer in the park on a sunny day? You can't buy a beer in Tescos between 2-5pm but you can buy a whole box of Johnny Walker. Where's the logic? You can't buy alcohol legally at certain times unless you buy a lot. hmmmmm? People have been drinking for thousands of years so even an outright ban won't change anything. People will drink, they will smoke and they will gamble. Take away the legal drugs and watch the rise in the current illegal drug market.

by definition a public utility is a phone company, water company, gas company but not what they are talking about. :)

I think you are getting confused with US or UK utility companies. Public utilities has a completely different meaning in many countries.

Nothing new.

From what I have seen none, or a least very few, of these places have been selling alcohol for some time. The temples simply have stalls set up outside to sell the beer! It's actually a shame as they make money during the fetivals and that's a source of income gone.

As for underage selling, we all know that will continue unchanged outside of the major retailers.

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy. I'm not surprsied that some people on this forum disagreee, as alcohol seems to be the meaning of life to some of them.

I don't disagree, but I think what most posters are saying is that it is very unlikely that the BIB will be enforcing it for any more than a token period of time, if at all. Unless of course,sad to say, it is a potential tea money earner.

I think you are getting confused with US or UK utility companies. Public utilities has a completely different meaning in many countries.

You may be correct. How is a park a utility? Or, is it just poor english? They may have meant to say; an area that the public, in general utilizes, I guess... But once again, it's in Bangkok, not anywhere else? Maybe a response to all the drunk redshirts? Or, just another " law" that can be selectively enforced... But let Thai people accused of murder out on bail, never to be found again. Ah, logic! What's that? I'm amazed again!whistling.gif

Edited by Jimi007

The policy, under the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008 prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks. The policy, stated in the Royal Gazette yesterday will be fully enforced today.

\

I am looking out for tomorrow...

\

What they should do is ban the setting up of illegal bars along roads like Sukhumvit. Now that would make sense to me.

But what about consuming? Definitely different from selling! Can I take my own refrigerator box to one of these places (e.g. parks) and consume my own alcohol with my friends? :D:)

\

What they should do is ban the setting up of illegal bars along roads like Sukhumvit. Now that would make sense to me.

Illegal bars on Sukhumvit road??? never heard about it... :):D:D

It would make perfectly good sense for this website not to make any mention anymore about crackdowns. Just mention that Thailand is a banana republic, and that in banana republics every time when they has been a change in government or when a cabinet reshuffle have taken place in order to leave the opportunity for other interest groups to steal a bit more from the Thai people, there will be a new policy a new crackdown that always comes with blackmail and money demands.

I am not sure but I would think that their is also a new minister for injustice in Thailand. Just mention next time: New ministers on the block, new crackdowns, keep change in your pocket.

I disagree! Crackdown is the favorite word used by "english" writing news in Thailand! At least they warn us about the latest scam by the BiB's and government, to extort money from the people!

\

Illegal bars on Sukhumvit road??? never heard about it... :):D:D

Bangkok Post ran a detailed article about illegal bars and drug dealers on Sukhumvit between Soi 3 and 5 and on Soi 4 (around Nana). Perhaps this article is the reason why the government finally does something. But it will probably be short-lived. Clean-up the place and 1 month later everything is back to "normal".

Violators arrested for selling alcohol to minors under 20 years old will be fined 6,000 THB, 12,000 THB and 20,000 respectively

so that is every bar, club, 7 - 11 , family mart and mom and pop store in thailand ....

Yes more tea money.

Maybe they need to redo the Alcohol Laws that work.

It is nice to know that there is at least one of you out there with some common sense and a sober outlook, there is hope after all.

Yes more tea money.

Maybe they need to redo the Alcohol Laws that work.

Thakin's government introduced the restricted hours on alcohol sales that still exist. It was intended to reduce the sale of alcohol to under age school kids. I guess asking for an ID never entered into their minds. Thai's must have a national ID card at age 15. So, no ID no sale. Just have restricted hours for the sale of small purchases! The only place the law is enforced is 7-11, and foreign owned markets, such as Tesco, Carrefour and Tops (not sure who owns them). I can go to my local alcohol discount shops and get what I want anytime they are open, for much less than any of the afore mentioned stores...