First Concert?

Spee

Okay, not a survey, but since we're hitting the music genre pretty hard, who played at the first rock concert you ever went to? Time to show your age. :o

For me:

- Rare Earth (in their prime) (followed soon after by REO Speedwagon about a year before they hit it big for the first time)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concert?

A concert to hear rock music is quite a new phenomena to us old fogies. I actually stopped going to see live rock stars after seeing the "Rolling Stones" play in a cinema in Coventry circa 1970 (there was a time before mega-concerts when cinemas were used quite often for these events).

I do remember a time - I was 11-12 - when I saw a skiffle-group called the "Quarrymen" play at the Kingsway in Hoylake (10Ks from Liverpool) - I got in free because my Mum knew the manager.

I saw this group, about 3 or 4 years later, at a dance held in the Floral Hall in Southport, on the day they achieved their first number 1 with "Please, Please Me".

First really big concert was Isle of Wight, 1970....

But, often went to the Fillmore and Winterland in The City (that's San Francisco) all through the mid-to-late 60's: Jefferson Airplane, BB King, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and many more.

Suzi Quatro at Beatty Park Pool in Perth Australia.....1973.....I was about 17yo...Mum gave me the ticket as a birthday present....

Next was Blondie at the Regal Theatre in Sydney circa '77

And then ELO at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney

Heard a Kiss concert in Adelaide that was cut short cos of the tennis tourny being played nearby. Heard it cos I couldnt afford the ticket and we sat outside...lol

Been to a heap of Aussie band Concerts too

Rolling Stones supported by Roy Orbison about 1964. (really showing my age)

Roy nearly stole the show.

Rolling Stones 1982 supported by the J Geils Band and George Thorogood (spelling?) & the Destroyers. Both couldn't beat the Stones but the J Geils Band were pretty good actually.

That's strange, I didn't see you there :D . I was up on the hill with my Lambretta and all the other people who didn't buy a ticket :D

But my first concert (I think) was the Groundhogs at South Parade Pier, Portsmouth. Not sure when - things were a little.. er.. hazy?:D in those days :D:o Maybe it was Simon Dupree at the pier. :D

:D

When you say rock concert, of course i thnk of sitting in a field for three days watching non-stop music. I was at Shepton Mallett in 1970 for my first. I couldn't remember the whole line up but looked it up and even though I was there it surprised me. And I can vividly remember about 90%;

Pink Floyd

Santana

Canned Heat

Donovan ( came by helicopter)

Dr John ( not the same one)

Flock

Hot Tuna ( part of Jefferson Airplane)

Steppenwolf

Maynard Fergason

Joe Jammer

Hawkwind

Byrds

Colosseum

Country Joe

Johnny Winter

Frank Zappa

Moody Blues ( also by helicopter but were very late)

Fairport Convention

Keef hartley Band

It's a Beautiful Day

Jefferson Airplane

Led Zeppalin

John Mayall

What a line up.

The next music feast I devoured was some years later at Knebworth. The line-up there was;

Genesis

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Devo

Jefferson Airplane ( without Gracie; she was left pissed in Hamburg)

Hot Tuna

Brand X ( Phil Collins's other group)

In my extreme youth 14-18 I had seen dozens of other groups at Dreamland in Margate. In fact most of the top acts of the time. Suppose thats why I love 60's & 70's music

That's strange, I didn't see you there :o . I was up on the hill with my Lambretta and all the other people who didn't buy a ticket :D

...me too.

But I was more than a little affected by beer and chemicals. So much so, I actually slept through all of Jimi's set.

Something I've spent all my life trying to live down.

I could name lots of obscure pub bands , not many big bands made it to my neck of the woods when I was young.

- Cosmic Physchos 1991

- Faith No More 1992

- Henry Rollins ( Rollins band) 92

Have to say Rollins really knows how to put on a show, my ears are still ringing :o

When you say rock concert, of course i thnk of sitting in a field for three days watching non-stop music. I was at Shepton Mallett in 1970 for my first. I couldn't remember the whole line up but looked it up and even though I was there it surprised me. And I can vividly remember about 90%;

Pink Floyd

Santana

Canned Heat

Flock

Steppenwolf

Maynard Fergason

Joe Jammer

Hawkwind

Byrds

Colosseum

Country Joe

Johnny Winter

Frank Zappa

Fairport Convention

Keef hartley Band

It's a Beautiful Day

Jefferson Airplane

Led Zeppalin

John Mayall

What a line up.

The next music feast I devoured was some years later at Knebworth. The line-up there was;

Genesis

Devo

Hot Tuna

In my extreme youth 14-18 I had seen dozens of other groups at Dreamland in Margate. In fact most of the top acts of the time. Suppose thats why I love 60's & 70's music

I was at both of those too.... :D

Great weren't they! :o !

Pink Floyd

Santana

Canned Heat

Flock

Steppenwolf

Maynard Fergason

Joe Jammer

Hawkwind

Byrds

Colosseum

Country Joe

Johnny Winter

Frank Zappa

Fairport Convention

Keef hartley Band

It's a Beautiful Day

Jefferson Airplane

Led Zeppalin

John Mayall

What a line up.

Genesis

Devo

Hot Tuna

I was at both of those too.... :D

Great weren't they! :o !

Luck old gits , I would have been 4 at the time , but still would have dug it.

The best era in music and I was too young....sigh. :D