Remote Living In Thailand

Leesoi2

Hello Leesoi2, if you solved the problem of power for your computer,

there are EDGE modems and CDMA modems you can use that are

powered by a USB port, ore you cellphone with GSM/EDGE.

You should ask this question on the CM or Mobile Internet Forums as

it pertains to your specific area. What we use/have may not work in your

area.

rice555

There are many low tech solutions available such as connecting your laptop through your cell phone or a dedicated modem. All painfully slow.

If this will be your regular connection to the world , look for a “CAT” “cdma” modem for your laptop ( unlimited monthly plans available.)

Speed is bearable for Email & word processing, too slow for graphics.

Other more hi-tech solutions will involve a smart phone ( iPhone, ETC ) capable of tethering.

You phone will than become a wireless hot spot for your laptop with as good of a speed as your carrier can provide.

Good luck,

Lee, do you get a good cell phone signal at your place? Let me know. If so, I can bring my laptop out and you can try the CAT CDMA device. The service is typically good enough to watch movies online. I'm in CR.

As for power, you can buy a charger for a laptop that will plug into the cigarette lighter on a car.

You can go with solar.

You can buy a small generator and charge batts that are connected to an inverter or run 220 from the gen.

Lots of power options out there.

If you don't have a good cell phone signal, you are looking at a satellite system. The last one of those that I used, in another country, was $1,140.00 every three months and you need decent electric for it. A decent generator will do. Big cost, overall.

Edited by kandahar

Lee, do you get a good cell phone signal at your place? Let me know. If so, I can bring my laptop out and you can try the CAT CDMA device. The service is typically good enough to watch movies online. I'm in CR.

As for power, you can buy a charger for a laptop that will plug into the cigarette lighter on a car.

You can go with solar.

You can buy a small generator and charge batts that are connected to an inverter or run 220 from the gen.

If you don't have a good cell phone signal, you are looking at a satellite system. The last one of those that I used, in another country, was $1,140.00 every three months and you need decent electric for it. A decent generator will do. Big cost, overall.

Hi Kandahar,

That is a very nice offer, I will be happy to give you a tour of the farm.

I am not sure of the cell signal there as I have not used cell phones much since I rarely call anybody. I was thinking of a satellite system but $3-400 a month would not be worth it.

I am looking into solar and a generator as I like the idea of having our own system and it may be about the same cost as having poles and wire run just for my house that long of a distance, about a mile.

Not sure how to contact you, is there a private message system on here? I could post my phone number or my email but am thinking there was a forum rule against that, not sure but don't want to get deleted. Best regards, Lee

You can go with solar.

Hi Kandahar,

That is a very nice offer, I will be happy to give you a tour of the farm.

I am not sure of the cell signal there as I have not used cell phones much since I rarely call anybody. I was thinking of a satellite system but $3-400 a month would not be worth it.

I am looking into solar and a generator as I like the idea of having our own system and it may be about the same cost as having poles and wire run just for my house that long of a distance, about a mile.

Not sure how to contact you, is there a private message system on here? I could post my phone number or my email but am thinking there was a forum rule against that, not sure but don't want to get deleted. Best regards, Lee

I'll send you a PM (Personal Message). You have a notifier at the top of the page that you can click on and it will take you to your messages. If there is anyone on here that you wish to PM, simply click on the little envelope icon underneath their name and it will open a message box where you can send the messages to them.