Dial Up Ip Address

ChiangMaiThai

Just out of curiousity, when I connect to the internet via dial up, using these prepaid cards from Loxinfo and the like, can the IP address be traced back to me? Of course it shows as Thailand and Loxinfo, but from there, can it be traced directly to my phone number and computer?

I ask because I am sick of using proxy servers with my DSL as they are slow and cumbersome. And I was thinking that perhaps a dial up connection affords a similar amount of anonymity. (Its fine with me that my IP address shows as Thailand).

Thanks!

Your dial up calls could still be traced to your telephone line. Loxinfo logs the phone number you use to dial up with, and I guess most other ISP's do as well.

However, they would only release this info to authorities armed with the neccesary warants. It happened already with a Thai guy, flogging copied Pantip cd's on the net, e-mailing them all over the world. He got traced allright :D

But I really don't see the difference with dsl or whatever. You will still get blocked if trying to access black listed sites (since you use proxies), and websites will still be able to recognize to what country your IP address belongs to (like paypal,...).

I guess the only really anonymous way to access the net in Thailand is using prepaid sim cards and going on the net through gprs...

Until the end of the year anyway, when you should have registered your sim card with the authorities :o

Your dial up calls could still be traced to your telephone line. Loxinfo logs the phone number you use to dial up with, and I guess most other ISP's do as well.

However, they would only release this info to authorities armed with the neccesary warants. It happened already with a Thai guy, flogging copied Pantip cd's on the net, e-mailing them all over the world. He got traced allright  :D

But I really don't see the difference with dsl or whatever. You will still get blocked if trying to access black listed sites (since you use proxies), and websites will still be able to recognize to what country your IP address belongs to (like paypal,...).

I guess the only really anonymous way to access the net in Thailand is using prepaid sim cards and going on the net through gprs...

Until the end of the year anyway, when you should have registered your sim card with the authorities  :o

Thanks Monty. Well that's a bit depressing that nothing is private anymore. Are you 100% sure that Loxinfo logs the phone number of each log in? Do all the dial up ISP's do this? There are ways to surf totally anonymously all the time including https, but they are so slow that I wonder if it is worth it.

In the case of Loxinfo this 100% correct.

Go to the member zone at their webpage, log in, and you can see at what times you logged in and with what phonenumbers...

Ji-net logs them as well

Not sure about the others...

In the case of Loxinfo this 100% correct.

Go to the member zone at their webpage, log in, and you can see at what times you logged in and with what phonenumbers...

Ji-net logs them as well

Not sure about the others...

I am sure of them do its standard. If you want to something hanky panky get your but down to the internetcafe and do the deeds there.

But if you are not doing anyting MEGA wrong in thailand i am sure they not going to bother with even looking at that direction that have other things to do.