Custom Ear Plugs

JXXXL

I want to get some custom made ear plugs made for hearing protection because the standard ear plugs don't seem to stay in my ear or they are really uncomfortable after an hour or so. Most shops in the US who deal with hearing aids will make them cheap, I'm just wondering if anyone's got them done in CM, or knows of shop in CM who deals with ear related products.

Custom ear plugs are great, but they aren't cheap. You'll need to either make yourself or have made ear canal impressions. Only takes a few minutes to do it. Any hearing aid store can do it for you or you can order kit form from

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/jbcuearpl.html They include an impression kit free when you order any of their ear plugs.

There are several other places on the net that make custom specialized ear plugs for all different needs. Here is a chart with average prices;

http://www.earplugstore.com/custom.htm

Do a web search for 'Custom ear plugs' and you'll find plenty.

As a matter of interest, which types could you not get on with? As someone who has to wear ear protection all day long I prefer ear defenders (Peltor/3M) but on the odd occasion ear plugs are more convenient. I have never been able to get on with the foam type plugs but a good quality soft 'silicone' type rubber ear plug I find much more comfortable, they are also easier to keep clean. I think Global house had them at one time.

As a matter of interest, which types could you not get on with? As someone who has to wear ear protection all day long I prefer ear defenders (Peltor/3M) but on the odd occasion ear plugs are more convenient. I have never been able to get on with the foam type plugs but a good quality soft 'silicone' type rubber ear plug I find much more comfortable, they are also easier to keep clean. I think Global house had them at one time.

I've mostly tried the foam ear plugs in various shapes and sizes. I use the ear plugs when touring on my motorcycle so I can't adjust them once my helmet is on. I would keep them in for up to two hours at a time (i.e., between fill-ups) and usually have 10 hour days.

I've heard a lot of bikers raving about custom fit silicone ear plugs so I want to give these a try.

I've mostly tried the foam ear plugs in various shapes and sizes. I use the ear plugs when touring on my motorcycle so I can't adjust them once my helmet is on. I would keep them in for up to two hours at a time (i.e., between fill-ups) and usually have 10 hour days.

I've heard a lot of bikers raving about custom fit silicone ear plugs so I want to give these a try.

One brand of soft silicone type plugs I prefer to wear is made by Aearo in the UK. SNR = 32db. Lots of them at work.

Just in case you are interested, I will bring an extra set back with me which will be later this month (I hope), they are not custom but they might be better. There is a motorbike shop off Wualai Rd, ask the owner about the silver BMW in there, it's mine. He will know when I am back and how to contact me.

Really know nothing. Just wondering is there not some danger blocking out sound when riding a bike

You are obviously not Thai they can not wear ear plugs when they are riding a bike and talking on the phone.

How about a muffler for the bike?

It's not the sound of the bike but the wind blowing across your helmet that's the problem. Even more so with guys who wear pudding bowl helmets. Anyway, long term hearing damage is assured if you do a lot of riding without protection.

It's not the sound of the bike but the wind blowing across your helmet that's the problem. Even more so with guys who wear pudding bowl helmets. Anyway, long term hearing damage is assured if you do a lot of riding without protection.

Being just about deaf now I fully agree. Recent studies have proved that it's not really 'extremely loud' sounds that do permanent damage, but prolonged exposure to louder sounds, not giving the ears a chance to recover that causes the long term hearing problems. This will become quite evident in the next 10-15 years as this generation of iPod abusers (you know, the ones who have their music cranked so the people standing next to them can hear it, plugged into their ears 18 hours a day) will be forming lines at the audiologist's offices.

On the plus side, the cost of hearing aids is going down while the technology is improving.

Yeah any speed above about 120 and the only thing you hear is the (very loud) wind noise, even with a good helmet.

@FolkGuitar thanks for that link, I was looking for that exact thing, ear plug review.

BTW the hearing aid store in Pantip is still there, no idea if they do earplugs though, it looks like a store for hearing aids only. Siemens brand.

@FolkGuitar thanks for that link, I was looking for that exact thing, ear plug review.

BTW the hearing aid store in Pantip is still there, no idea if they do earplugs though, it looks like a store for hearing aids only. Siemens brand.

If you do decide to get custom plugs, go to the hearing aid store and let them make the ear impressions for you. It's not a difficult job, but a little experience will go a long way in making a better fitting impression, resulting in a better fitting ear plug.