Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Panasonic Lumix Z S7/ T Z10 + G P S

• 4 weeks later...

The main concern with being NTSC is the different frame rate to PAL. The main purpose for you would be to avoid flickering from flouresent type lighting as the frame rate reflects the frequency of the electricty for that country.

Thailand has PAL 25fps with 50Hz electricity. USA has NTSC 29.7fps with 60Hz electricity.

Although there is not an option to change from NTSC to PAL on the LUMIX ZS7 do not worry too much.

Using the AVCHD setting I have not detected any additional flicker than on a ZS3/TZ7 set to PAL. Tested side by side with different lighting (LED, Halogen, Flouresent & Incandesent)

Don't forget you can always alter the system to PAL when editing.

I have used/owned TZ3 TZ5 TZ7 & ZS7(TZ10).

The main concern with being NTSC is the different frame rate to PAL. The main purpose for you would be to avoid flickering from flouresent type lighting as the frame rate reflects the frequency of the electricty for that country.

Are you sure that matters?

I have both NTSC and PAL video and have never noticed any flicker.

My TV handles both with aplomb.

Are you sure that matters?

I have both NTSC and PAL video and have never noticed any flicker.

My TV handles both with aplomb.

It has to do with the frequency of the electricity. In other words how many times each second the current reverses direction. In Thailand it is 50/second and in the USA 60/second.

To test yourself use an older flouresent tube and keep it in your peripheral vision and you should notice a flicker. This will occur more often with older tubes and those fitting in less than perfect condition. It may not be noticeable and/or annoying all of the time.

So it has to do with a mismatch between the camera's frame rate and the local electric causing light flicker. Outdoor lighting or other lighting not sourced from AC electric will not be affected.

No I do not think that it should matter as the flicker issue can be easily avoided but it is good to know about it so you do not assume the camera is faulty.

Possibly GungaDin's last toy. Hope he has plenty on the other side. RIP

Just one of his last toys, Harrry.

When I moved to Thailand in late June he asked for a small favour. Could I bring 3 small items with me that would fit in my pockets?

A small camera and two Gamin GPS units.

When the box arrived from the USA the "3 small items" turned out to be about 50 seperate items weighing over 6 kilos!

post-18822-077667800 1280661798_thumb.jp

post-18822-007432800 1280662292_thumb.jp

It all had to be carried, it wasn't allowed to go in the hold where the thieves would get it!

Made my own personal packing very difficult.

John was certainly a character! :)

• Like 1