Vale - John Ward

Old Croc

I only know Gunga Din from this forum and having read the Stickman article (I rarely read Stickman) the person I remember from this forum doesn't bear much resemblance to the person in the article.

I apologise to his daughter Emma for the article though it is supposedly well researched and written it seems as though Stickman neglected to contact Emma thus to me getting the article incorrect.

As for all the details in the piece as was said earlier you can say what you like about people who have died as they cannot answer back but it sometimes hurts those left behind.

It will be interesting to read what is written about Stickman when he dies.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John was a character, he talked freely about himself, including those things which may be considered illegal. He didn't try to hide any part of his life.

I can see why a daughter would be disappointed by the article being published, but I would imagine that few people think any less of him after reading it - at least other expats.

I enjoyed the positive stuff and the negative parts just prove he is a flawed human being like every one of us.

My guess is that stickman was not trying to hurt anyone. He was just trying to do his job and he made John's life very interesting.

Gunja Din is in a better place now. May he rest in peace.

My guess is that stickman was not trying to hurt anyone. He was just trying to do his job and he made John's life very interesting.

What officially is his job these days? School teacher? Private eye? Website owner?

Parts of the article were in poor taste in my opinion, and what's more, judging from some of the responses here from people who knew him, inaccurate.

Sordid sells i guess. Bottom line.

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time round, and so late to leave a post.

Never met Udon in person (he'll always be Udon the pomelo cat to me) but, yes he was a cantankerous old cuss when he wanted to be, but very knowledgeable and always ready to share.

RIP mate.

According to Stickman,Gunga din lived with his mother in Coffs Harbour not Sydney,even though i heard he moved to Sydney after his mother died ?

He then bought a house with the "high six figure" sum according to stickman in bangkok,or out of BKK.

They lived in the family home in Sydney's western suburbs until her death. As the home was subject to probate he had to leave it before the place was auctioned. I know how much the house sold for and what John's share was. "High six figures" doesnt come into it.

He initially rented a room in Parramatta (or thereabouts) before moving to a little flat in Coffs. He had intended to stay there, but, after a few months, got bored shitless, obtained a visa and caught a plane out of Brisbane to Thailand. He rented a house to the west of Bkk for about 8000 bht pm.

Edited by Old Croc

• 2 months later...

I think we have had a chance to say our goodbyes and our thanks.

those that want to say anything other than that will have to find a different venue.

this thread is now closed.

RIP Udon.

best wishes to his family

:jap: