Lpg / Cng ... Which Is The Best

elliss

Decide for yourself:

LPG

Proven concept, very safe tanks, pressure in the tank around 10 bar max.

10-15% extra fuel used, although the new systems deliver same power and use less extra

Gas is in liquid form in the tank.

CNG

Concept still underdeveloped, safe tanks, pressure in the tank around 200 bar.

10-15% extra fuel used, powerloss still 15%.

Gas is in the tank as gas.

CNG cheaper to buy.

Me......LPG, no 200 bar tank behind me.

LPG vs CNG - ahh! that old chestnut. It's been debated to death on this forum before. To give credit where it's due hansnl's summary above is pretty good. I'd only add:

1) LPG is heavily subsidized by the Thai government, which improves it's 'economy', people love to speculate if/when this may change.

2) You can only purchase CNG cars new from manufacturers, with factory warranties; Toyota Limo, Chevrolet Colorado and Optra (+Estate), Proton Persona, Mitzubishi Lancer (+pickup) - and the Tata Xenon pickup - the only vehicle actually designed for the tanks (under the bed instead of filling up the trunk/bed).

3) Fierce debates ensue when it comes to the subject of retrofitting vehicles and invalidating the warranty; you get opposing views about which system ruins the engine first:(

I suggest you read the existing info here on LPG and CNG, and then present your questions. But so far in this thread its not correct on milage> It takes approx double amount of CNG to cover 200km as it does for LPG, so a very large CNG tank needing more than half the trunk provides a range of approx 200km.

CNG is available only in few citys

CNG has a higher combustion temeperature than LPG, which is again higher than petrol, so engine will have premature damages. Some new car makers solve this with shorter warranty(Mitsubishi), some improve the engine for factory installed CNG to maintain warranty as on petrol only car (Corolla Altis and Benz).

• 7 months later...

I was just searching on lpg systems and came upon a few threads.

For the sequential injection systems, is there any particular standout? There are many brands, energy reform, AC-stag, stefanelli, etc. Is any particular brand recommended or should be avoided? What I would be looking for is one that can be fine tuned to run properly. It would be nice to have some unbiased reviews of these systems from any of our readers.

Can anyone recommend a fitter/tuner in the Nonthaburi area?

Also does anyone know if the electronic flashlube kit is available in thailand? I've only seen their basic minikit.

Thanks in advance..

For the sequential injection systems, is there any particular standout? There are many brands, energy reform, AC-stag, stefanelli, etc. Is any particular brand recommended or should be avoided? What I would be looking for is one that can be fine tuned to run properly. It would be nice to have some unbiased reviews of these systems from any of our readers.

Also does anyone know if the electronic flashlube kit is available in thailand? I've only seen their basic minikit.

Thanks in advance..

i don't know what you are talking about but i'm aware of two brands...energy and versus............

energy cost 28500 baht and versus cost 24500 baht. I have just converted it few days ago and pretty happy with it. About 5% power loss but you can always switch to fuel if you need to speed. At the moment, i'm driving on LPG for long distance but i always drive on fuel for short distance and this way i keep balance.

you can check this website http://www.versusthailand.com and find the nearest dealer to your place. They also provide certification and warranty for 2 years. I have used my Kbank credit card and got installment 0% for six month. They use computer for tuning.

I think with the new system, i can save at least 60% of my budget on fuel cost.

Thanks in advance..

i don't know what you are talking about but i'm aware of two brands...energy and versus............

energy cost 28500 baht and versus cost 24500 baht. I have just converted it few days ago and pretty happy with it. About 5% power loss but you can always switch to fuel if you need to speed. At the moment, i'm driving on LPG for long distance but i always drive on fuel for short distance and this way i keep balance.

you can check this website http://www.versusthailand.com and find the nearest dealer to your place. They also provide certification and warranty for 2 years. I have used my Kbank credit card and got installment 0% for six month. They use computer for tuning.

Thanks for your reply. I've also done the sums - we drive about 25K a year, and the system would pay for itself in 8-10 months or so, mainly driving on gas. I looked into stefanelli - about 32K and ACstag-300 plus. The latter was 37K with a donut tank. Their top model stag-300 premium was over 42K! This last one is expensive because it can adjust long and short term fuel trims in real time, so it needs less tuning manually, if I understand the system correctly.

I'm glad you got your system cheaply. Just make sure it is tuned regularly to keep it running optimally. Did the garage also change your spark plugs to lpg suitable ones? They might help combust the lpg better.

As for the flashlube, that is a lubrication system for the valves. But the guys selling the AC said it isn't necessary, and regular valve adjustments would suffice. Not so sure about it though, expecially the soft valves in my honda.

I'll check out that website, thanks.

Thanks in advance..

Thanks for your reply. I've also done the sums - we drive about 25K a year, and the system would pay for itself in 8-10 months or so, mainly driving on gas. I looked into stefanelli - about 32K and ACstag-300 plus. The latter was 37K with a donut tank. Their top model stag-300 premium was over 42K! This last one is expensive because it can adjust long and short term fuel trims in real time, so it needs less tuning manually, if I understand the system correctly.

I'm glad you got your system cheaply. Just make sure it is tuned regularly to keep it running optimally. Did the garage also change your spark plugs to lpg suitable ones? They might help combust the lpg better.

As for the flashlube, that is a lubrication system for the valves. But the guys selling the AC said it isn't necessary, and regular valve adjustments would suffice. Not so sure about it though, expecially the soft valves in my honda.

I'll check out that website, thanks.

I hesitated posting this so as not to begin a new slagging match but the flash lube system is not really necessary. Just manually rotate between LP and benzine to cool & lubricate the valves regularly. Just switch to benzine approx. 15 to 20 minutes of every hour of consecutive run time and especially if on a lengthy trip and then switch from LP to benzine approximately 10-15 minutes before reaching your destination if a long trip or 4-5K's from your destination on short trips and start on benzine..

The auto mode on the system is only to help the car start easily and run more efficiently by starting on benzine before switching over until it gets to temp but does not apply to what I'm suggesting..

very informative thread for those who are driving on LPG.

yes culicine, they have also changed the spark plugs to a LPG suitable one....The tuning was totally done by computer...i have seen all the gauge meter on the monitor.......so far it's running really good..

and thanks to warpspeed for your input. I have never driven my car on benzine....i think since i have converted already, i should use Benzine.

just wanna ask you, can i switch to Benzine from LPG and LPG to Benzine while on the run? ........till now i'm parking on the sideline and changing it just to be careful.

Edited by sunny747

just wanna ask you, can i switch to Benzine from LPG and LPG to Benzine while on the run? ........till now i'm parking on the sideline and changing it just to be careful.

Yes, but don't do it while accelerating only when coasting or at a stop like a cross walk or light for example, in any case on occasion you may get a slight hesitation or bucking as if momentarily running out of gas which is what is actually happening at times until the change over takes place..

This is why you don't want to be accelerating as this can cause internal engine damage in extreme cases if at high RPM and it suddenly kicks back on again rare, but possible, though the engine is designed to take similar stresses in the case of running out of fuel anyway..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Also, another reason to use some of the benzine is to keep it rotated in your tank, so it doesn't go off.

I do not really know, but I think that CNG can not run of Benzize as well like LPG can, not many CNG stations around as well out in proviences.

NGV with intact petrol system (bifuel) can of coures run petrol whenever desired, and needs to do so more often than LPG car as combustion temp is even higher and lubricating even less than LPG

Lack of CNG stations is so true out in the provinces. A Tata Xenon NGV with extra CNG tank in the bed, can still not drive Surat-Phuket-Surat, due to no fuel available