Train To Bangkok Or Don Muang?

Rob5060

I am taking a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok next week

Just wondering, after reading of the delays that are often ecxperienced getting into the main terminal, if its better to get a taxi from Don Muang rail station

I will be heading for Sukhumvit so would need a taxi if I went to the terminal

Cheers

I have not used Bang Sue Junction since the metro was constructed so not sure where the station is actually located and if within easy walking distance of the train stations or not. But it is much closer to town than Don Muang.

I have not used Bang Sue Junction since the metro was constructed so not sure where the station is actually located and if within easy walking distance of the train stations or not. But it is much closer to town than Don Muang.

As beono advised the entry to the MRT station is directly adjacent to the south end of Platform 1. It is not a long walk from where you would alight from the train, however it is then about 200m through the underpass to the MRT station proper. Easy and spacious access as long as you dont have too much heavy luggage. You can then catch the MRT to Sukhumvit station at Asoke intersection which will take just over 15 mins.

Much will depend on what time you arrive in BKK, hm luggage you have and where in Sukhumwit your intending to travel too. If your arriving in the morning peak catching a taxi from DM down Vihavadi road is going to be very slow. Better to disembark at Bang Sue and change to the MRT.

You are just as likely to get delayed elsewhere along the route, as you will going in the whole way to Hua Lamphong. I've taken the train a lot between Phichit and Bkk. The train is never on time. It's just a matter of where the delays will occur. My hit rate getting through from DM to Bkk with little or no additional delay is about 50%. If I were in your shoes (taking the train vs flying, so time is not of the essence), I would just take the train all the way in, especially if you have some luggage with you.

As beono advised the entry to the MRT station is directly adjacent to the south end of Platform 1. It is not a long walk from where you would alight from the train, however it is then about 200m through the underpass to the MRT station proper. Easy and spacious access as long as you dont have too much heavy luggage. You can then catch the MRT to Sukhumvit station at Asoke intersection which will take just over 15 mins.

Much will depend on what time you arrive in BKK, hm luggage you have and where in Sukhumwit your intending to travel too. If your arriving in the morning peak catching a taxi from DM down Vihavadi road is going to be very slow. Better to disembark at Bang Sue and change to the MRT.

My advise the same.