Bangkok Airport Express Train To Open Next Week

webfact

I live next to Asoke BTS / Sukhumvit MRT. A taxi would cost me Bht 220 + 70 toll charges and takes about 40 minutes. It's not worth the effort to make my way to Makkasan as it would probably take the same amount of time, just to save Bht 100 or so (presuming that I take a taxi from Asoke to Makksan). At least in a direct taxi, I don't have to contend with crowds and heat and rain and luggage.

If you live near Asoke BTS, then you can easily reach the airport using only one expressway. Then the cost should be around 200B + 25B for toll charges. Tell the driver to go north along Asoke and then enter the expressway at Rama IX.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live next to Asoke BTS / Sukhumvit MRT. A taxi would cost me Bht 220 + 70 toll charges and takes about 40 minutes. It's not worth the effort to make my way to Makkasan as it would probably take the same amount of time, just to save Bht 100 or so (presuming that I take a taxi from Asoke to Makksan). At least in a direct taxi, I don't have to contend with crowds and heat and rain and luggage.

Agreed. But if it's during peak, or worse, it's been raining, then the train would be better.

The non-stop "airport link", which covers 28 kilometres (17 miles) and cost 25.9 billion baht (800 million dollars)

Isn't that a little pricy?

it includes Tea Money.

Haha, good one but it is sooo true for everything in Thailand.

Btw. how can I use the fast one when I live at On Nut? Wanna try it this weekend just for fun.

Btw. how can I use the fast one when I live at On Nut? Wanna try it this weekend just for fun.

1) Taxi to the airport and catch it from there (I know ... it defeats the purpose, but you do just want to try it!)

2) BTS to Asoke, MRT to Petchaburi, walk to Makkasan.

3) BTS to Phaya Thai, Airport Skytrain (local) to Makkasan.

With that timetable they must have dual tracks (Up train and Down train) or several crossing (passing) loops. In the case of the later the commuter train will alway be directed into the loop so the express doesn't have to slow....well it may for facing points at the start of the loop....but that maybe 110kph. You just can't run "Express trains" on a 15 minute cycle with commuter trains on a 27 minute cycle if it is only one track with no passing.

Anyone got a link to the technical aspects of the track?

With that timetable they must have dual tracks (Up train and Down train) or several crossing (passing) loops. In the case of the later the commuter train will alway be directed into the loop so the express doesn't have to slow....well it may for facing points at the start of the loop....but that maybe 110kph. You just can't run "Express trains" on a 15 minute cycle with commuter trains on a 27 minute cycle if it is only one track with no passing.

Anyone got a link to the technical aspects of the track?

I thought the Express was running every 40 minutes ... taking 15 minutes from the Airport to Makkasan.

My flight arrives at the airport 9PM.. this thing runs til 12... can I just walk to this and it will take me to central Bangkok where I can find a cheap hostel/hotel?

I want to go to Koh Samui but arriving so late I need a night in Bangkok I think.. this train sounds perfect.

The non-stop "airport link", which covers 28 kilometres (17 miles) and cost 25.9 billion baht (800 million dollars)

Isn't that a little pricy?

it includes Tea Money.

It also includes brainless foreigners.

I'll try it when I am in Bangkok next. I stay in Sukhumvit 8 (BTS Nana), which stop should I stop ? Do I need to change and take BTS ??

Thanks

2 choices ... go to Makkasan, change to MRT - Petchaburi to Suhkumvit (1 stop), change to BTS - Asoke to Nana (1 stop). or Express to Makkasan, then local to Phaya Thai (or local from airport to Phaya Thai), change to BTS - Phaya Thai (about 7-8 stops).

You could also catch a taxi from Makkasan to Nana. The taxi would go out onto Petchaburi, and via Suk Soi 3.

I personally believe that the non-stop “Express” Makkasan – Suwannaphum link will die out from lack of customers - within 2 years, maximum - and the whole service will devolve to just the “City Line” and simply become a local and well patronised commuter link between Eastern Bangkok and the centre of town - with a much more regular Service than can currently be dictated by the 2 different timetables involved.

Patrick

Agree throughly. Watch for a property price boom along the route, if it hasn't happened already.

All they need to do now is extend the line so it runs to Rangsit somehow, and BKK will start to have the beginnings of a true commmuter system

I personally believe that the non-stop "Express" Makkasan – Suwannaphum link will die out from lack of customers - within 2 years, maximum - and the whole service will devolve to just the "City Line" and simply become a local and well patronised commuter link between Eastern Bangkok and the centre of town - with a much more regular Service than can currently be dictated by the 2 different timetables involved.

Patrick

Agree throughly. Watch for a property price boom along the route, if it hasn't happened already.

All they need to do now is extend the line so it runs to Rangsit somehow, and BKK will start to have the beginnings of a true commmuter system

Given that Makkasan has check in counters etc, I don't think they will be shutting down the express in a hurry.

The property price boom would have started long ago. The politicians would have bought up the land, and then they would have made the decision to put the train through there.

Here is a link to the planned rail system map for Bangkok - http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/MassTransit/map/System%20Map%206.11.pdf

and an overview on wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Rapid_Transit_Master_Plan_in_Bangkok_Metropolitan_Region

Ofcourse, don't hold your breath for most of this.

This is all good, except the 40 minutes interval. Getting downtown from the airport during rush hour easily takes an hour or more, and if it rains...

If they are going to have any chance easing the traffic jams in Bangkok, they need to get as much traffic as possible over on rails. That will take time, but everything helps.

As a side not: During rush hour, this is also a fast, convenient way to get between Bangkok and Pattaya, the airport buses are much faster than the ones from Ekamai, since they don't spend half an hour or more on Sukhumvit. Add to that the fact that they don't take the detour to Sriracha to drop off some old lady who thinks its more fun to take the Pattaya bus than the Sriracha one, and one hour or more is easily saved.

I personally believe that the non-stop “Express” Makkasan – Suwannaphum link will die out from lack of customers - within 2 years, maximum - and the whole service will devolve to just the “City Line” and simply become a local and well patronised commuter link between Eastern Bangkok and the centre of town - with a much more regular Service than can currently be dictated by the 2 different timetables involved.

Patrick

Agree. The whole idea of a main station is so daft it's unbelievable. It's not within walking distance from any other public transport, and the area is well known for endless traffic jams. The main station should obviously have been at Payathai, but that would have meant cooperating with BTS, which is obviously unthinkable. Just look at the missing 5 meters of concrete between the two stations.

And how about one electronic card to use all of these trains? Oh sorry, I forgot. Not possible in Thailand...

I personally believe that the non-stop "Express" Makkasan – Suwannaphum link will die out from lack of customers - within 2 years, maximum - and the whole service will devolve to just the "City Line" and simply become a local and well patronised commuter link between Eastern Bangkok and the centre of town - with a much more regular Service than can currently be dictated by the 2 different timetables involved.

Patrick

Agree. The whole idea of a main station is so daft it's unbelievable. It's not within walking distance from any other public transport, and the area is well known for endless traffic jams. The main station should obviously have been at Payathai, but that would have meant cooperating with BTS, which is obviously unthinkable. Just look at the missing 5 meters of concrete between the two stations.

And how about one electronic card to use all of these trains? Oh sorry, I forgot. Not possible in Thailand...

I think you guys need to look at the bigger picture and be a little less negative. While things do take a little more time here some at least do happen.

What do you think will happen on the land next to Makkasan station? They will build hotels, convention cetres, office and apartment blocks, restaurants etc etc etc and best of all on and off ramps to the express way. Its all SRT land. When this is done the location is not so daft and nor is the idea of an express train to and from the airport. This line will also eventually be extended around the corner to the new Bangkok Central Station at Bang Sue providing endless connections to other services. The govt is committed to developing the rail systems here in Bangkok and another 3 lines are underway already (Red, Purple and Blue extension). It cannot all be done in one go but is part of a master plan.

Patrick

Indeed. People here have probably got the hang of how this works by now. I remember the days when the skytrain was being planned and people with property near the stations were protesting that they didn't want the station near their home. All the Farangs were thinking entirely the opposite, snap up places near the stations and watch the values rise.

If you live near Asoke BTS, then you can easily reach the airport using only one expressway. Then the cost should be around 200B + 25B for toll charges. Tell the driver to go north along Asoke and then enter the expressway at Rama IX.

Tried that once due to taxi driver not able to turn right at Asoke / Sukhumvit. Took about 30 minutes just to try to get onto the highway! Won't be going that route again in a hurry (no pun intended :) ). Occasionally, I would turn left at Asoke and either do another left towards Petchaburi or continue straight down to Phra Khanong to take Highway 2 - this depends on the traffic along Sukhumvit though.

It's possible to try and take a taxi down Asoke to Makkasan and then take the train from there or vice versa (if Asoke is not jammed up). Might try that once.

I think you guys need to look at the bigger picture and be a little less negative. While things do take a little more time here some at least do happen.

What do you think will happen on the land next to Makkasan station? They will build hotels, convention cetres, office and apartment blocks, restaurants etc etc etc and best of all on and off ramps to the express way. Its all SRT land. When this is done the location is not so daft and nor is the idea of an express train to and from the airport. This line will also eventually be extended around the corner to the new Bangkok Central Station at Bang Sue providing endless connections to other services. The govt is committed to developing the rail systems here in Bangkok and another 3 lines are underway already (Red, Purple and Blue extension). It cannot all be done in one go but is part of a master plan.

I have seen Artists Impressions of the planned developments in the Makkasan Train Repair yards and it all certainly looks impressive.

However, in my view this Develop[ment will only add pressure to the idea of making the "Airport Link" a Commuter Line and doing away with the Express Service entirely. The new Hotels, Shopping Centres etc. will attract a lot of local Thai customers who will need easy access to the area. When the Airport Link operators find that every "City Line" train is packed and the "Express Line" trains not only unpopular but actually limiting the number of "City Line" trains they can run (because of the scheduling problems) I am certain the Express service will be axed.

Patrick

As a side not: During rush hour, this is also a fast, convenient way to get between Bangkok and Pattaya, the airport buses are much faster than the ones from Ekamai, since they don't spend half an hour or more on Sukhumvit. Add to that the fact that they don't take the detour to Sriracha to drop off some old lady who thinks its more fun to take the Pattaya bus than the Sriracha one, and one hour or more is easily saved.

There's a good idea. Does anyone know how far the Airport Express train station is from the nearby Transportation Centre? Or would the idea be, you go into the Airport terminal and catch a free shuttle to the Tranportation Centre, which is where I assume the Pattaya-bound bus is located?

However, in my view this Develop[ment will only add pressure to the idea of making the "Airport Link" a Commuter Line and doing away with the Express Service entirely. The new Hotels, Shopping Centres etc. will attract a lot of local Thai customers who will need easy access to the area. When the Airport Link operators find that every "City Line" train is packed and the "Express Line" trains not only unpopular but actually limiting the number of "City Line" trains they can run (because of the scheduling problems) I am certain the Express service will be axed.

Patrick

I don't think they'll get rid of it, they've planned since the very beginning that local commuters would be the large majority of passengers on the line. They also plan on extending the line north beyond Phayathai, so there will be more demand for a high speed train in the future.

UPDATE

Airport Link to be on commercial service on Monday

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) confirms the Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link is ready to be put on commercial service on 23 August 2010 as scheduled.

SRT Governor Yutthana Thapcharoen said that there was a daily average of 17,000 passengers using the Airport Link service during the trial run period, which had started since 1 June. The Airport Link – both the City Line and the Express Line – will commence full operation on 23 August.

The ticket price for the City Line, which stops at every station – Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop, Makkasan, Ramkamhaeng, Hua Mak, Thap Chang, Lad Krabang and the last terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport – is set at a flat rate of 15 THB while the ticket for the non-stop Express Line from Makkasan to the airport costs 100 THB for a round-trip.

Mr Yutthana said these rates would last until the end of this year before being adjusted up to the normal rates, which would be between 15-45 THB for the regular line and 150 THB flat for the express line. Both lines will operate from 06.00 -24.00 hrs daily, departing every 15 minutes.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-21 footer_n.gif

Well, I specifically bought my condo within sight of the Huamak station to have public transportion access to downtown, and judging by the number of commuters whom I see regularly on the train, it is important to many of us out here! That said, my girlfriend has tried it from her office in Saladaeng and, unfortunately, it has still taken up to two hours to get here, especially in the rain. At 6pm Friday, she had to let 3 BTS trains go by because they were full, and then the same at Siam. Sure, once she got on the Airport Link at Phaya Thai it only took 10 minutes to get to Huamak, but then she had trouble crossing Srinakarin to catch a bus to go the 2k to my condo. An overhead walkway is clearly needed there. Then she had to let 4 full buses go by! Hopefully it will be better once Makkasan is open, then she could just take the MRT, though she will still have a couple of hundred meters to walk to the Airport Link! Uhhgggg.........so frustrating!

add to it the usual hoard trying to board / exit without any organization or consideration, then there's the flights of stairs at stations to contend with.

Ever tried London Underground with a suitcase ?

Nope, but I have tried the Tokyo subway system with multiple bags. Not fun.

I don't get the attraction .... or the need .... or the cost justification, other than "keeping up with the Somchai's." Total travel time door to door is likely to be much less in a taxi, and the premium of a few more baht is well worth it. It's not like Chicago or NYC where a taxi or shuttle bus into the city center is 15x-20x the price of mass transit.

Edited by Myaimistrue

used the train last week, and it was free! good service only problem it they have not connected the terminal in bangkok with the mrt, you have to go down to the street and back onto the mrt. good nevertheless.

Patrick

That seems to be the line's biggest benefit, providing faster public transit between those areas. During two sorties made during the free period, I noticed lots of traffic between the Hua Mark and Ramkhamhaeng stations and Phayathai.

They'll probably keep the express line but I imagine it will have fewer passengers by far. I agree with an earlier post, that if you live in central Bangkok a taxi is faster most of the time, unless you live next to the station.