Current Best Internet Option If No Phone Line

stevehaigh

hi, i'm thinking of moving to an area in the country just south of pattaya and there are no phone lines, so no DSL. i think mobile phone receptions is ok

what is the current, best high speed, non wired internet option?

before i've used IPSTAR (sucks big time), CAT CDMA (sucks) and i now have a USB dongle with an AIS sim card in it (sucks). nothing i've used so far come within a light year of basic TOT DSL. is there anything good out there?

thanks, steve

get an edge modem. I am using one now in Korat because they don't have 3g here yet. I am very happy with it because in three months of people going mental with outages, hiccups, and throttling, I have had no problems with a slightly slower service from my reliable go anywhere edge modem solution. I can even watch and download movie clips, you tube etc...

Bottom line: It works.

I myself have been using cat cdma and find the service satisfactory . I have also used IP star, AIS, Edge, and TTT, and cat is the only one to come close to delivering services promise. It is my belief that after the 3g auction that AIS and DTAC will be a history

lesson on how not to do business in Thailand, I live in a rual north western area, 140 k south west of CM in a mountainess area. Also I did have to put up a large antenna.

I live near Rong Po and my only option is an EDGE modem and an Internet SIM.

I used to use AIS but changed to DTAC as it seems more stable.

Connect theoretically at 470K but I dont suppose its close,but it works.

I did go into the Hutch Shop and inquired about the CDMA service but I am outside of the service area.

my edge modem cost 900bht and the sim is 100bht per month for 30hrs. I can top up with 20hrs for 100bht when I run out. Its not costly. no mast in the garden. use it ANYWHERE and never had it be unreliable. I live in Korat, if it helps.

Been thinking about trying Dtac simply because I use them for my phone. might get a net sim to try so I have two monthly deals to use up before I need topping up.

ps. I use mine mostly with my netbook. I get max 380 speed but average is usally around 140. But I think that is mean over time. when I am reading of course I am not using much. When I need performance, it performs between 240 and 360 usually in average reception areas.

my edge modem cost 900bht and the sim is 100bht per month for 30hrs. I can top up with 20hrs for 100bht when I run out. Its not costly. no mast in the garden. use it ANYWHERE and never had it be unreliable. I live in Korat, if it helps.

Been thinking about trying Dtac simply because I use them for my phone. might get a net sim to try so I have two monthly deals to use up before I need topping up.

ps. I use mine mostly with my netbook. I get max 380 speed but average is usally around 140. But I think that is mean over time. when I am reading of course I am not using much. When I need performance, it performs between 240 and 360 usually in average reception areas.

Not sure if you are in the right area, but a fast option I am using is the AIS Huawei wireless 3G but the AIS speed is very slow, best to dump the sim and sign up for TOT, if in your area, 1GB per month for 199THB up to 6GB month for 799, and fast speed too, very satisfied.

Edited by roiethome

Steve,

I had to find an Internet option for my new house in northern Surin province. There is no cable Internet available near or far as this is really Nakhon Nowhere. I have DTAC Edge and have had to cope with it for the past 5 months during which my home was being built.

So, on Wednesday we signed up for the only one option available to us: Ipstar. 1MB down and 512kB up (that is wishful thinking) for a monthly fee of 2'600 Baht + 2'140 Baht installation cost. I have read LOTS about Ipstar, mostly negative information.

So, yesterday 2 guys from TOT turned up with a 120 cm solid dish and the necessary up and down LNBs. First they wanted to mount it on the floor, but I declined. That would have just been the fast and easy way for them to leave on time for their lunch. I got it mounted at the best possible place, on a corner part of my fence.

After now 24 hours in use I am positively surprised. Most of the time I have about 0.80-0.88 MB and at all times I had enough upload speed to upload to my websites. The best speed I had was 1.02 MB down and 0.29MB up at 02:00 this Saturday morning. Not bad at all, I can say.

Yes, this morning it was raining, not the usual tropical downpour, but it was raining. My Internet did not leave me at all, it became a bit slower, but still enough power to uplaod.

Of course, it is not really comparable to cable Internet, especially if you wish to download torrents. I have 3MB Maxnet and 12MB True Internet at our home in Pattaya.

But if it doesn't deteriorate, it is not a bad option at all.

Edited by Dario

Steve,

I had to find an Internet option for my new house in northern Surin province. There is no cable Internet available near or far as this is really Nakhon Nowhere. I have DTAC Edge and have had to cope with it for the past 5 months during which my home was being built.

So, on Wednesday we signed up for the only one option available to us: Ipstar. 1MB down and 512kB up (that is wishful thinking) for a monthly fee of 2'600 Baht + 2'140 Baht installation cost. I have read LOTS about Ipstar, mostly negative information.

So, yesterday 2 guys from TOT turned up with a 120 cm solid dish and the necessary up and down LNBs. First they wanted to mount it on the floor, but I declined. That would have just been the fast and easy way for them to leave on time for their lunch. I got it mounted at the best possible place, on a corner part of my fence.

After now 24 hours in use I am positively surprised. Most of the time I have about 0.80-0.88 MB and at all times I had enough upload speed to upload to my websites. The best speed I had was 1.02 MB down and 0.29MB up at 02:00 this Saturday morning. Not bad at all, I can say.

Yes, this morning it was raining, not the usual tropical downpour, but it was raining. My Internet did not leave me at all, it became a bit slower, but still enough power to uplaod.

Of course, it is not really comparable to cable Internet, especially if you wish to download torrents. I have 3MB Maxnet and 12MB True Internet at our home in Pattaya.

But if it doesn't deteriorate, it is not a bad option at all.

Sorry to say it is a pity you did not find this thread before as there is a much better alternative to Ipstar.

Don't confuse by the fact that 99.99% of down time with IpStar is not IpStar - but rather the ISP. Not counting a mass rain fall in the path they can happen but it normally has to get real bad and stays up well past the loss of TV on UBC or others.

IpStar only links you to ToT or what ever and in 4 years of using it - IpStar has never been an issue it always works. The ISP it is connected to will be down or slow from time to time. Testing has shown it is ToT not IpStar every time.

When it stops and you have the lights - ping ToT and you will see you have a normal connection to their servers and no internet. 99.99% of the time.

IpStar itself works great. If you call and report you have a connection to ToT but no internet they get hopeless lost - just go though the motions with them (They work from a script) and when it still doesn't work they will send a msg to tech control and like magic it will start working again.

Dtac have a promotion at present ----- 100 hours for 199 bt (213Bt inc tax). AIS is 375Bt for 100 hours

Both AIS and Dtac come up as connected at 450 kbps, but the download speed is between 20 and 40 kb per second. They both seem to work almost everywhere in Thailand. Service is close to 100% reliable.