Standards

GuestHouse

One thing I can promise you, is that you will get a very positive reaction from the women (including those who are with their boyfriend and husband) when their partner's back is turned. I get this in China especially since mainland Chinese men tend to be terrible dressers. They give you that look like "God I wish I could go home with you", well, many of you are so old so it probably wouldn't matter anyways I guess, :).

This is the point I'm making, not that this particular guest should have worn as suit, rather that he clearly had made no effort at all, while his wife certainly had. So while she made an effort with her clothing, make-up and hair, he didn't even bother to shave.

The "standard slipping: is not simply one of dress but also of courtesy to one's host.

I ought also to point out, he's not a movie star.

GH - you are assuming that this guy made no effort.

Maybe just dragging his arse out of bed and having a wash was a big effort for him. :D

• Like 1

<snip>

It is not realy any more difficult to dress neatly than to parade ones self as a down and out .

I don't have shoes here, or a suit, or long trousers. I don't go to those sorts of establishments.

I have a few suits, pairs of shoes and nice shirts in England. After all, one day I'm bound to have to go back for a funeral.

If it was such a high class Hi-So best and most expensive restaurant, he would have been refused the entrance in flip flops.

But as he was accepted, that means it was ok to dress like he did for that evening.

End of the discussion.

This isn't about the 'class' of the restaurant, it's about being respectful of your hosts. The guy's wife made an effort, so why didn't he?

I think maybe he didn't have any decent clothes - just like me - because he doesn't go to those places normally.

If I had to go somewhere where it was necessary to wear smart clothes, I would go and buy some. It doesn't take long to get a made to measure suit here.

If it was such a high class Hi-So best and most expensive restaurant, he would have been refused the entrance in flip flops.

But as he was accepted, that means it was ok to dress like he did for that evening.

End of the discussion.

I think that even if the management of the resarant had been appalled and mortified by his demeanour, they would have hidden it politely, and offered him the best of service, as another's unkempt and dishevelled appearance is no excuse for rudeness and poor service. Perhaps they had already selected a table for the group on their entrance, seeing seven well-dressed people, and had not noticed the less-well-kempt member of the party - or perhaps they did discretely manage to arrange a table out of view of the entrance and windows to avoid excessive tarnish to the reputation of the restaurant.

Personally, I'm not one for dressing up smartly, and rarely wear a tie, but I will generally dress with some consideration of where I am going - especially after having to change my breeches in a pub car park; I was fortunate to have my fresh laundry with me on the night in question...

What might be acceptable in an open-air beer bar would not necessarily be suitable for a gogo bar or the juice bar in a shopping mall, for example.

SC

err..

I don't know how to answer to this post, OP.

I certainly would shave and put on a clean shirt if I was invited somewhere (casual).

If I was in doubt regarding the venue, I would ask my host about the dress code.

If the reply is "casual or come as you like" then I will certainly wear shorts and sandals without socks.

I don't invite much, but when I do and when the atmosphere is important to me, I usually also tell the dress code to avoid misunderstandings.

If someone turns up dressed as a bum I will certainly ask which part of "business/smart casual" he didn't understand.

I don't consider the tie to be essential.

The best proof is that there is no tie in formal wear.

On the other hand, I doubt I would join an invitation to play "hi-so" with people wearing ties without any special formal occasion, just for the fun of wearing a tie??

I had enough of that already, thanks.

If I really had to join, I would probably don my smoking, complete with silk shirt and waist belt, just to make a point.

Edited by manarak

I used to go to work with a heavy jacket and boots, but then again I was raising cattle in Canada.

I have never been to a restaurant in Thailand where folks wear suits. It makes it too hard to sit at those little tin tables.

Edited by canuckamuck

err..

I don't know how to answer to this post, OP.

I certainly would shave and put on a clean shirt if I was invited somewhere (casual).

If I was in doubt regarding the venue, I would ask my host about the dress code.

If the reply is "casual or come as you like" then I will certainly wear shorts and sandals without socks.

I don't invite much, but when I do and when the atmosphere is important to me, I usually also tell the dress code to avoid misunderstandings.

If someone turns up dressed as a bum I will certainly ask which part of "business/smart casual" he didn't understand.

I don't consider the tie to be essential.

The best proof is that there is no tie in formal wear.

On the other hand, I doubt I would join an invitation to play "hi-so" with people wearing ties without any special formal occasion, just for the fun of wearing a tie??

I had enough of that already, thanks.

If I really had to join, I would probably don my smoking, complete with silk shirt and waist belt, just to make a point.

Sadly, the dinner suit went by the board a long time back; and the tail coat. Though the suit, I'd probably have to let out to its original cut now, having expanded more than Tesco's since I last wore it.

SC

Did you specify the "dress code" when you issued the invitations? :whistling:

I wasn't the host.

What's all this talk about Ties?

This isn't about the 'class' of the restaurant, it's about being respectful of your hosts. The guy's wife made an effort, so why didn't he?

Thank you JetsetBkk, precisely that.

I used to go to work with a heavy jacket and boots, but then again I was raising cattle in Canada.

I have never been to a restaurant in Thailand where folks wear suits. It makes it too hard to sit at those little tin tables.

At the end of the day, its still Thailand. A place where paper clips are "signed out" at the work place and toilet paper is considered a luxury item.

Jeans and a t-shirt is dressing up for the majority of our members. :whistling:

I go along with that ..why dress up when you only eating out at the local noodle shop ..or eat all you want BBQ for 99baht rolleyes.gif

this must have been in bangkok surely,

i dont think i have seen any one wearing a suit and shoes in my travels around thailand,but then i have not spent much time in bangkok.

smart jeans and a polo surely good enough in thailand ,i think i would have a little laugh to my self if i see a group of ferang wearing suits ........:lol:

It certainly depends on the occasion. I have been to enough dinner parties in different parts of Thailand where suit & necktie was expected, or just a dinner jacket without necktie, or full tuxedo.

And yes, I would say most occasions (like tonight) require smart jeans and polo shirt only. I have also been to occasions where flip-flops would be in order and a dinner jacket way out of bounds.

My point is: There is not one dresscode in Thailand. Know how to dress for the occasion.

I have never been to a restaurant in Thailand where folks wear suits.

Really?

It makes it too hard to sit at those little tin tables.

Well, OK. If the only 'restaurants' you know have little tin tables, then I will certainly believe that you have never been to a place where people were suits.

Somehow though, I have the feeling you are pulling our legs.

this must have been in bangkok surely,

i dont think i have seen any one wearing a suit and shoes in my travels around thailand,but then i have not spent much time in bangkok.

smart jeans and a polo surely good enough in thailand ,i think i would have a little laugh to my self if i see a group of ferang wearing suits ........:lol:

It certainly depends on the occasion. I have been to enough dinner parties in different parts of Thailand where suit & necktie was expected, or just a dinner jacket without necktie, or full tuxedo.

And yes, I would say most occasions (like tonight) require smart jeans and polo shirt only. I have also been to occasions where flip-flops would be in order and a dinner jacket way out of bounds.

My point is: There is not one dresscode in Thailand. Know how to dress for the occasion.

As difficult as it often seems... tombkk really nailed it with 'know how to dress for the occasion'...

Some either seem out of their depth or too far within their GAFF (Give a something factor).

We don't wear board shorts to a restaurant, neither do we wear a suit to a beach buffet, but we all hope to be considered respectful to those who invite us, no?

Something is otherwise missing... GAFF