How Many Baht Buses In Pattaya?

flyingfox

I once heard 3000 but I can't believe there would be that many. Any guesses or known figures?

I also heard from a driver that it costs 400 baht per day to rent. Petrol is extra. The remainder profit hence the reason for it being a popular profession.

On the Jomtien to North Pattaya/Beach Road route the buses have numbers painted on them, probably reflecting the order in which the licences to operate were issued. I've seen some very low numbers like 002, and high ones up to around 660. So on that route alone there are probably close on 700 Baht Buses operating. It's possible I guess that numbers are not reused if a driver retires, so there may not be that many in practice - anyone know? Add on the other Baht Bus routes, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Tai, Sukhumvit, and so on, plus the scoundrels hanging around Bali Hai pier waiting for a chance to fleece tourists, and I can imagine there being well over 1000, but I find 3000 a bit high. I might well be wrong though.

Here in Chiang Mai we have a shyt pot full of them. Red being the major color for certain reasons:whistling: yellow the next color along with white, brown, blue green and pink. At least 3,000 In the Chiang Mai area would you like us to ship you down some?:lol:

Edited by gotlost

To many anyway. Would be nice if the Red Shirts plan there next Tyre Burning Festival at Pattaya. No need to take the Tyres of the Bahtbuses, just burn them all together. It still would take several month to get the Numbers of Busses down to a level thats actually needed. B)

Edited by CHdiver

To many anyway. Would be nice if the Red Shirts plan there next Tyre Burning Festival at Pattaya. No need to take the Tyres of the Bahtbuses, just burn them all together. It still would take several month to get the Numbers of Busses down to a level thats actually needed. B)

They sent a few down to Bangkok for the BBQ they got toasted. Photos were on the news. Still have too many.:lol:

Edited by gotlost

My view, too many trying to scare up charter taxi fares. Not too many running as buses. In fact we need MORE running on odd routes such as Thepprasit Road and 3rd road (not really a route at all but SHOULD be). Replace the ones scaring up charter fares with REAL Bangkok style taxi meters (with meters that are used). Easy, simple, and won't happen. (MAFIA.)

My view, too many trying to scare up charter taxi fares. Not too many running as buses. In fact we need MORE running on odd routes such as Thepprasit Road and 3rd road (not really a route at all but SHOULD be). Replace the ones scaring up charter fares with REAL Bangkok style taxi meters (with meters that are used). Easy, simple, and won't happen. (MAFIA.)

it would be usefull if the colours to jomtien could be blue

to naklua red etc so you could know where they go

The Baht Bus Service in Pattaya/Jomtien/Naklua is on the whole excellent. The routes are good (Soi Buckhaew) etc. A lot of people moan about them, but if they all stopped tomorrow I would be in deep water.

10 Baht is the fare on most daytime trips and in the last 2 years since the fare went from 5 to 10 baht, I have had almost no trouble.

Long live the baht bus.

To the O.P I would estimate that there are 868 buses, but not all on the road at the same time.

I also like the baht bus system overall when they act like BUSES and actually run their presumed routes. There are some real holes in the system though, for example those trying to go at all far down Jomtien beach road are taking a total crap shoot, you never know exactly when the driver is going to magically order the bus into a taxi charter and/or kick you off. Too many of the buses are seriously poorly maintained, pollution-wise, it would be great if they could made greener. And last but not least a significant portion of the drivers are very bad drivers, possibly on yaba, and potentially violent.

I also like the baht bus system overall when they act like BUSES and actually run their presumed routes. There are some real holes in the system though, for example those trying to go at all far down Jomtien beach road are taking a total crap shoot, you never know exactly when the driver is going to magically order the bus into a taxi charter and/or kick you off. Too many of the buses are seriously poorly maintained, pollution-wise, it would be great if they could made greener. And last but not least a significant portion of the drivers are very bad drivers, possibly on yaba, and potentially violent.

Let's not forget the possibility of being pick pocketed or potentially shot at also in some of your previous posts.

Yes JT, I can understand why you like riding the baht buses. Everyday in Patts is an adventure!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Any advance on #679

I have seen numbers in the high 900's, never over 1000 though, still 75% too much i would say - <deleted> at city hall have no balls or else they could fix all of Pattaya's traffic flow problems in one fell swoop, take 75% of them off the road - NOW!!!